Model Cars Magazine Forum

GINORMOUS PICS!

Lately I'm seeing a lot of really flippin big photos in a lot of posts. 1600x1200 is way too big for a forum. This is REALLY annoying. :lol: Here's how to fix this.

For the Photobucket crowd.

1. Log into Photobucket

2. Click UPLOAD NOW

3. at the bottom of the upload window is a clickable command "customize your upload options". Click it.

4. In the resize area of this window, click the 800x600 bubble, and then click "save" at the bottom.

That's it you are done. Everything you upload from here on will be the perfect size for forum sharing and you will save yourself space on your album.

For every other hosting site, there must be a similar function. Please find it.

Hey Rob - Photobucket will automatically resize every pic uploaded? That could save me lots of time. At present, I take pics and download to Kodak easy share. Then I go in one pic at a time and resize to 50% and then upload to Photobucket. Your suggestion sounds much less painful and I'll have to try it on my next build.

Im sorry but some of the stuff I upload needs to be at the max setting that the camera will do, therefore I will not change my settings, one thing that is a pain is opening a thread and having to click on little bitty thumbnails, I just pass those over, too bad too because Im probably missing some cool stuff.

Some of the stuff you SHOOT may have to be at the max setting, but there's no reason to upload and post those pictures here at that huge size.

Photobucket will resize every pic to the setting you have. However, I thought the site here already had a setting to resize the pic to a certain size, and you could click on it to see the full size image...course, I generally upload my pics at the 800x600 size anyways.

Photobucket will resize every pic to the setting you have. However, I thought the site here already had a setting to resize the pic to a certain size, and you could click on it to see the full size image...course, I generally upload my pics at the 800x600 size anyways.

That's how it works. Photos that are bigger than a certain size are automatically downsized when you post them. But if the photo is huge to begin with, even though this site will ultimately downsize them, they still have to load... and that takes time.

Honestly I don't see the problem here people, images posted from Photobucket here resize themselves if done CORRECTLY! All of my pictures are downloaded at a size of 1024x763, just as this one of my Ford truck project.

HPIM2891.jpg

At the setting of 1440x900 on my 19 inch Dell monitor, these pics show at their full size in the thread, but at the 1280x720 setting on my monitor, they show up in a box in the thread that says "Resized to 90% (was 1024 x 763) - Click image to enlarge", so I'd say if you don't want large pics, DON'T CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO BLOW IT UP! I also get the same message on my Dell laptop set at 1280x800. I personally feel the problems are not pictures or those posting them, I would suggest changing the settings on your monitors!

Now on the flipside of the coin for those who use the site's uploader, some of those pictures are HUGE !!!!!!! Since I have never used it, I don't know if there is a way to resize, but seriously clicking on a thumbnail just to see a tire is ridiculous! I'm with Donnie, I'm getting to the point if there are thumbnails, I pass over the thread.

Honestly I don't see the problem here people, images posted from Photobucket here resize themselves if done CORRECTLY! All of my pictures are downloaded at a size of 1024x763, just as this one of my Ford truck project.

At the setting of 1440x900 on my 19 inch Dell monitor, these pics show at their full size in the thread, but at the 1280x720 setting on my monitor, they show up in a box in the thread that says "Resized to 90% (was 1024 x 763) - Click image to enlarge", so I'd say if you don't want large pics, DON'T CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO BLOW IT UP! I also get the same message on my Dell laptop set at 1280x800. I personally feel the problems are not pictures or those posting them, I would suggest changing the settings on your monitors!

Now on the flipside of the coin for those who use the site's uploader, some of those pictures are HUGE !!!!!!! Since I have never used it, I don't know if there is a way to resize, but seriously clicking on a thumbnail just to see a tire is ridiculous! I'm with Donnie, I'm getting to the point if there are thumbnails, I pass over the thread.

Thank you..I agree...we are out of the dialup age and I'm getting old...thats why I use a 22" wide monitor. sorry to those that want small soft images...

I'll take huge, high-resolution pictures over poor quality camera and cell phone pics any day. ;)

Sometimes large, hi-res pics are necessary to show detail, and I'd rather see pics which are too large with great detail than those which are too small and you can't see any clear details.

You can select whichever size you want your uploaded pics to be re-sized to using Photobucket, and you an always make them smaller whenever you wish. There's nothing worse than seeing a pic of a model you want to look at further, then realizing the 600x400 pixel image is already at max size, and you can't make out any detail. :)

Guest Johnny

Im sorry but some of the stuff I upload needs to be at the max setting that the camera will do, therefore I will not change my settings, one thing that is a pain is opening a thread and having to click on little bitty thumbnails, I just pass those over, too bad too because Im probably missing some cool stuff.

I'm just the opposite! If I click on a thread and the pictures are taking forever to load because of their HUGE size I just move on to another thread!

Thumbnails are those little baby pics that you have to click on to see them? I don't open those either.

Same Here. For me, it realy disrupts the continuity of the thread.

Read some of the text... open the thumbnail... look at the picture then close it so you can read more of the text to see if the question you had about the first picture is answered elsewhere in the text. Open the second picture and repeat the process as many times as needed.

No thanks.

I have high-speed internet, so the larger pics download quickly enough. My problem is the out-dated graphics card in my computer really slows down the scroll speed on pages with these huge image files. The browser reduces the visible picture to fit into the window, but as far as the graphics processor is concerned, the data are still the same size.

David G

My problem is the out-dated graphics card in my computer really slows down the scroll speed on pages with these huge image files. The browser reduces the visible picture to fit into the window, but as far as the graphics processor is concerned, the data are still the same size.

David G

David, do you know the type of graphics card that is in your computer? Also, do you know if the driver for it is up to date? If the driver is out of date, updating it might help out.

Okay- large picture- small picture- I like both. Large pics show the detail really well. Small pics because they won't load big. Small, large-- it's all good. I didn't know it was hard to click on a small thumbnail. I must be missing some reason or something.

Okay- large picture- small picture- I like both. Large pics show the detail really well. Small pics because they won't load big. Small, large-- it's all good. I didn't know it was hard to click on a small thumbnail. I must be missing some reason or something.

It's not hard to click on a thumbnail. It's hard, actually impossible, to read the accompanying text while the image is open. That's the reason I dislike them.

David G.

David, do you know the type of graphics card that is in your computer? Also, do you know if the driver for it is up to date? If the driver is out of date, updating it might help out.

It's a 256 meg NVidia 6800 GS that I bought and installed in 2006. I usually update drivers in July, though I don't think there's been a new one in a while. The only problem I have and it's really a minor annoyance, is scrolling through those really big image files.

Thanks for the tip, though.

David G.

That's why I use a photo program call InFranview, I crop most of the stuff out of the back, all my pictures come out fine at 600X600, and i can show just the build, we do have to think about people who are still on dial up, there's kewl stuff out there that they may be missing, because it takes forever to download the picture, so they say to heck with it, and move on, you dont have to thumb nail it, to show it, heck you can even use photo bucket to resize the picture down to 640x????, and even crop the picture there, look if you need help ???? tell you what PM me and i can walk you right thru it, theres no need for huge pictures.

Just my 2 pennys worth that dont matter.....