Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whiskey a Go-Go!

Tommy Kortman

Well, I'm impressed. Looks like a fantastic build with just the right amount of dirt for a rum-runner. The boxes in the trunk are a killer touch. Can you explain how you did them?

Pardon the ignorant question, but which kit did you use? I don't have anything pre-1955 in my stash, so I didn't know if it was the Revell version or if you did some very nice work (especially on the trunk) on the AMT.

Edited by Monty

Fine different build on the Revell '39 Ford coupe. Perfect weathering and as said before nice touch with the mason jar boxes in the trunk. These cars, as mentioned, were called Fordilacs and there were Studeilacs too. Those Caddy motors sure moved a lot of white likker back in the day, They would order the replacement motor for the ambulances because they had no serial numbers to trace back to an owner if the car was "caught". Love this historical build. Need a "revenuer" pursuit car now. Were those pursuit vehicles the first government "hot rod" cars? Patrick M

Edited by pepperdrumstix

Well, I'm impressed. Looks like a fantastic build with just the right amount of dirt for a rum-runner. The boxes in the trunk are a killer touch. Can you explain how you did them?

Pardon the ignorant question, but which kit did you use? I don't have anything pre-1955 in my stash, so I didn't know if it was the Revell version or if you did some very nice work (especially on the trunk) on the AMT.

Monty, It's the Revell 40 Ford Standard coupe. I cut the trunk open and added the rear...um...bulkhead if you will.

The boxes in the trunk were made for me by a buddy of mine, MCM contributor, and fellow board mate, Mike Napoleon. Mike makes some killer dioramas, and a lot of them usually have some sort of box, magazine, etc in them. I sent Mike the graphics, he reduced them and created the boxes as a flat sheet. I simply cut them out, bent them up, and white glued them together.

Edited by Tommy Kortman

Wow! Outstanding model! Love the boxes in the trunk. Put some pics of the engine in your shine runner.

Here are some engine pics for you.

100_5853-vi.jpg

100_6040-vi.jpg

100_6041-vi.jpg

The engine is from the Revell 49 Merc coupe with an aircleaner and valve covers from Replicas and Miniatures Co. of Md.

I LOVE NORM'S STUFF!!

Very cool little rum runner!!!!! I really like the weathering on the headers! I still need to do that on an engine I have here. I painted the manifold a rusty brown. I just need to hit it with light shots of tan and a hint of pink.

This is great build! I used to enjoy reading the WIP topic, and I was waiting when this one gets finished. That dust looks great on it and color fits perfectly to that body, paintjob is good too. I like the boxes in the trunk, they are looking very realistic. Engine detailing is very nice too, and that idea of Cadillac engine is great- Caddy engines are quite rarely seen in model cars... Nice Ford! ;)

• 2 weeks later...