Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Hemi Dart

mrmike

Mrmike, thanks for this story and build the dart came out fantastic. reminds me of a swinger that was orange here many many moons ago looked like it . But now i wanna know was the dart finished by johnny and was it raced what happened to it after he was murdered :D i wanna know more ....... lmao . thanks again for the car and the build i really enjoy them greatly.

michael

Thanks guys!

Donald, I added the fuel line. All other hoses (radiator and heater) are in the kit.

Clay, if it doesn't have dog hair on it, it's not mine! And, I have never met your wife! :)

Michael, if I was to finish the story then the Dart would have been finished by Johnny at some point since High School. It wasn't for racing, although it could be quite a force to be dealt with at the stoplights. I would think that Teresa would have given the Dart to McNally since he also worked on the car.

Gus, those tires probably wouldn't have lasted very long under the foot of a young hot rodder!

Nice job with the Dart. I haven't seen this kit built like street car, but with that Hemi engine. It looks great, detailing is also very nice. I love the chassis and paintjob looks good too. I like the Bumble-B stripe and that color. Nice jb with it, I must get building my '70 SuperBee... :lol:

Thanks Charlie! I hope you can be able to stop by at one of our meetings sometime. It would be great to see you there. Unfortunately, I must pass on the May 7th meeting due to other obligations.

Since I have finished this build, several people have asked me about the story after Johnny's killer was caught. So, to satisfy those who want to know, I have borrowed an element from Quinn Martin Productions...

The Story Epilogue-

It has been almost a month since Johnny's funeral and McNally stops over to see how Teresa and the kids are doing. She is doing OK though she misses Johnny very much. She has been cleaning out the things that Johnny had owned and that she didn't want to keep. She places an envelope into McNally's hand and says, "Johnny would have wanted you to have this." McNally opens the envelope and finds the keys and title to the Dart...signed over to him. Being the tough guy that he is he tries to hold back the tears, but one does run down his cheek. So much for being a tough guy!

"You can leave the car here until you are ready to take it." They both hug and McNally places a kiss on her forehead. "Thank you Teresa," he says. "No...thank you!"

Nice wrap-up, Mike.

Following on the Quinn Martin theme...

...who plays McNally on TV?

Charlie, I have never put any thought to that at all! I suppose if I was 6 Ft. tall and 175 Lbs., I could play McNally, but I am not an actor. Nor am I 6 Ft. tall. This is something I am going to have to think about. On second thought, I am not going to think about it. McNally exists in my mind and on paper, but not on the small or big screen. I have never described him to any degree...anywhere. Let's leave it to the readers imagination. Sorry Charlie...

I couldn't resist the Starkist Tuna commercial!