Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford Starliner

mrmike

My new project is a '60 Ford Starliner. The kit has been in the stash for a few years and it is time to build it.

Starliner01.jpg

I am going for a tu-tone paint scheme on this one. I was originally planning on a white top and green body and interior, but I hve decided on a Tamiya TS-26 white top over Model Master Acapolco Blue Metallic body with a Model Master Federal Standard Blue interior.

Starliner02.jpg

A few mold lines to content with and then it's off to the paint booth!

Starliner03.jpg

More to come...

I just started a 60 Starliner to use on my 64 Galaxie body. I am tring to build the 64 to look like my first car and put air shocks on the back to raise it up. I ran into 2 small problems - I bought the Purple starliner kit and it cames with lake pipes and no stock exaust and mufflers -also it has Traction bars built into the rear shock mounts. I dont need the traction bars but I want the stock shock mounts and want stock exaust. I looked at the kit instructions and notice than these pieces came as options on the various 3 Starliner kits from AMT. Please if anyone has these pieces left-over I sure could use them. I will trade the brand new Starliner body and chrome parts with new glass for them.

Sorry to hi-jack yuor thread but I hoped any Starliner lookers may have these parts.

Thanks guys!

WoodyRDC, if you are in need of parts, then I would like to suggest you make a posting for those in the Wanted section. This would prevent the hi-jacking of someone's WIP thread! Or, you can go out and purchase the new release of the AMT '60 Starliner.

I have started working on mold lines on the body to which there are plentiful. The worst is on the drivers side under the C pillar. I guess I'll be getting out the Bondo for this as it is quite deep.

Starliner04.jpg

Starliner06.jpg

And, all the way across the deck lid and fenders.

Starliner05.jpg

More to come...

that line across the trunk needs to go, but unless you're de-trimming the car, the lines along the fender caps are there because the real car has separate chrome fins there.

i built a couple of these and IMHO you can get the body to fit better by removing the tab area at the front of the windshield, as IMHO the clear plastic is too thick there. well; it's too thick period.

the first one i built was a replica of the 1:1 i owned when i was in the Navy; white, with a black roof; light blue interior, and seventies Thunderbird polycast wheels.... i couldn't find suitable wheels for mine, so i used Torq-thrusts instead, as i'd have liked to do on the 1:1. it's a fiddly kit but it looks nice when finished and foiled.

Thanks Kane and Charlie!

I have not done a lot to the Starliner over the last couple of days. But, I have been doing some thinking about how I am going to proceed with the build. I am seriously considering entering this into the Club's Out Of Box Build for our show in September. If not, then I will use it for practice for another build. Building OOB is not as easy for someone like me who has always added a detail here or there so I have to dial back my creativity and just follow the instructions word for word. This should be fun!

The engine is partially assembled. No plug wires this time.

Starliner10.jpg

I started working on the wheels and tires, but I had to run my Exacto around the inner edge of the tire to get the wheels to fit. It is still a tight fit.

Starliner11.jpg

On the right is the wheel and backer. It seems to be a little wide for the kit supplied tires, don't you think?

Starliner12.jpg

More to come...

I've noticed on a lot of wheel backs that the total insert assembly is a bit thicker than the tire, and it seems to be compensated when everything gets assembled somehow.

I'd suggest a dry-fit assembly to see how it looks, and if it doesn't work, try sanding the wheel back a little to knock off the excess material.

Charlie Larkin

Thank you guys!

juergen, the color is Model Master Lacquer Acalpulco Blue with Tamiya Racing White roof.

Guys, the tires are indeed too skinny for this model. It was suggested elsewhere to sand the wheelback and hub down which I thought wouldn't work mainly due to the size of the hub thickness. And, the rim thickness makes it stand out like a sore thumb! I found a set of tires on my parts box that will serve my needs better than the kit tires which are just too skinny. They are from an unknown Revell kit.

Starliner13.jpg

The engine is complete.

Starliner14.jpg

Starliner15.jpg

I need to finish the chassis and then I'll start on the interior.

More to come...

Thank you Hertsi and Bob!

I started assembly on the rear suspension tonight.

Starliner16.jpg

And the chassis is complete!

Starliner17.jpg

I made whitewalls using a circle template and a white Gelly Roll pen. I mounted the wheels and wheel backs after the tires were dry.

Starliner18.jpg

More to come...

The engine is complete.

Starliner14.jpg

Starliner15.jpg

Hi Mike,

Are these valve covers from the original factory stock release? My Custom Starliner only has smooth chrome covers and a "Thunderbird" option and, from what I've seen in the New Kit Reviews, the Round2 2n1 release appears to have the same as the Custom kit.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, yes this is the original factory stock release. I have picture of the box art on the first page of this thread. I have yet to see the contents of the new 2-In-1 kit so I cannot vouch for that kit nor the custom kit from a few years ago. It is possible that AMT changed the valve covers as part of an update to the kit. I wished this kit had an automatic trans instead of the 3-on-a-tree transmission.