Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Plymouth Fury

Mopar - D

Nice build of a rare kit. Nice white paint job. Excellent job on the trim and details. Your frame--chassis is well done too. Good looking convertible. I have had one for years in the box but never did much to it but build the motor and clean the body and parts. You have inspired me to get the kit out and start to finish it. Red and white was my choice of colors but with a red body and white with red interior. I also have the original Johan '62 Plymouth Fury hardtop and want to build it too. I need to go on-line and find factory colors for paint ideas. The only real ones I ever saw were white with red interiors like your build. Thanks for the post-great clear photos and the inspiration to finish my kits. Might build the hardtop as a street-strip racer with a cross ram manifold and cheater slicks. I remember a few of them on the drag strips. Patrick M

Edited by pepperdrumstix

Nice build of a rare kit. Nice white paint job. Excellent job on the trim and details. Your frame--chassis is well done too. Good looking convertible. I have had one for years in the box but never did much to it but build the motor and clean the body and parts. You have inspired me to get the kit out and start to finish it. Red and white was my choice of colors but with a red body and white with red interior. I also have the original Johan '62 Plymouth Fury hardtop and want to build it too. I need to go on-line and find factory colors for paint ideas. The only real ones I ever saw were white with red interiors like your build. Thanks for the post-great clear photos and the inspiration to finish my kits. Might build the hardtop as a street-strip racer with a cross ram manifold and cheater slicks. I remember a few of them on the drag strips. Patrick M

I'am not Dan, but it looks painted, and a fine job too. I think the white is too bright to be polished plastic. Dan, you did a very nice clean build of a favorite of mine. I own a 1964 Fury convertible with a 426 Street Wedge in it. Mines white/blue. I like your build very much. Looks very nice.........Sweeeet!

Thanks for the comments. The kit came molded in the green color on the body pins and I had to fill in 2 sink holes on the trunk. Pepperdrumstix there are pictures of a green hard top with the cross ram on the internet just goggle 62 fury. They say it was a rare car. When I was looking for correct colors I only found red,green, light yellow and the white.

Guest Johnny

Nice! My first model car was a 62 Fury Hardtop. Wish I still had it today.

If only all those old JoHan models (especially the Dodge and Plymouths) could be repopped but alas it will never happen according to those here in the know.:D

Very nicely-done build.

The 1962 Fury/Sport Fury convertibles are indeed quite rare. Less than 100 are known extant today, maybe a few more counting both Fury/Sport Fury variants.

The '62 Plymouth was a major dud sales-wise because of the odd styling and that it was fifteen years ahead of its time in regards to "downsizing."

Some good references can be found here:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Plymouth/1962_Plymouth/1962_Plymouth_Full_Size_Brochure/dirindex.html

And here. http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1962-plymouth-pg01.jpg

An Internet search may yield additional materials. Give it a shot.

Charlie Larkin