Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Daytona Pro Mod 1/16th scale updated 4/3/12 ..It's a wrap!

wow you bent that lip to catch on the back of the frame and everything. And that seat is awesome, is there a seam line anywhere :)

nah No seam lines cause I used one piece of decal for the front, one for the back and a third for the bottom. thx for watching and your kind compliments. Take care Ron B)

Romell can you show more pics of how you build the coil-over ( may be a step-by-step ) i'm loving the work.

Ok Derrick Im gonna be building the front coil overs in the next couple days and I'll take pics as i go and lay it out tutorial style. thx for the intrest bro. B)

Romell this thing sure looks nice... What color is that on the frame and Wheel Tubs. Looking forward to more pics man. keep up the great work

Thx Chris , that color is tamiya clear blue sprayed over Alclad magnesium. B)

Hey fellas Im gonna try to post a small tutorial on making coilovers as requested. I'll actually be making front spindles but the same process is used. I wont be giving any measurements because each set will be differant depending on your project. Also let me apologize now for the slightly blurry photos, I wont put the blame on my camera because theres nothing wrong with it, Its tottally my fault because I know nothing about camera settings. anyway i hope you understand and enjoy.

I start with a Tap & Dye set you can pick one up at most tool or hardware stores. using the M5x 0.8 dye i cut about 2 inches of threads on the outside of a 7/34th aluminum tube. this will form the adjustment threads on the coilover body.

Frontspindles001.jpg

make sure you use cutting oil.... this will make the cut easier and prolong the life of your tools.

Frontspindles005.jpg

Using a pair of vise grips to hold your work (far below the work area) slowly turn your dye clock wise onto the tube so that it starts to cut. take your time so you dont damage your tube or your cutting tool.

Frontspindles004.jpg

Once you have about 2 inches of thread cut , back the dye off the tube and grab your flat jewelers file and get ready to get down and dirty (well maybe not so dirty :D )

Frontspindles012.jpg

your gonna have to file off some of your pretty threads you just made. this will develope the coilover body and you will have the adjustment threads left when your done.

(If your making ugly faces at this point your doing everything right) the black dot is where I'll be drilling a hole for the wheel spindle.

Frontspindles013.jpg

This is what you should have once you file down your thread sections, you will have to measure to get the right coilover body height. Oh and before I for get you'll need a piece of tube just big enough to slide over your original tube this will be used to make your adjustment nut.

Frontspindles014.jpg

youre gonna use the same size tap (in my case M5x 0.8 ) on the inside of your bigger tube. when cutting with a tap insert untill the tap grabs (make sure to use cutting oil) then give it 1/4 turn then back the tap out (this keeps the tap from loading up on you) repete this untill you get as much thread as you need.

Frontspindles011.jpg

Ok so now we have the bodys , and the adjustment nuts , i also already have my springs (which you'll need to find on your own) and my spindles inserted.

Frontspindles015.jpg

Stay tuned for part two , I make the tops for the coilover from plastic turned on my Dremel B)

Welcome back to Part II :

I start with piece of plastic because I dont have any aluminum stock on hand. I drilled a small hole in the center of a small piece and chucked it up in the dremel using the cutting wheel chuck. and grabbing my trusty jewelers files I shape the piece as needed using low RPM's this will keep the plastic from melting during shaping.

Frontspindles017.jpg

Frontspindles018.jpg

Frontspindles019.jpg

Frontspindles021.jpg

Coilover tops painted with Alclad aluminum

Frontspindles022.jpg

all the finished pieces waiting to be assembled. well do that in my next update hope you enjoyed. B)

spindelparts005.jpg

Edited by Romell R

Romell thats awesome bud. I know that must of taken you a while. Thanks so much. :D Looking forward to assembly.

Hey thanks Ron, Yeah the first set took me about 2 hours to figure out, but now that i know what im doing I can crank out a set in about 20 mins. B)

Great work on the Spindels Romell. they look great. I will have to try that sometime. Funny how when we do something the first time it always takes much longer then the next time we do that. been doing that on my 1/16th scale funny car build. some stuff feels like I am taking forever on a few pieces but then again I am redoing some of it to get it perfect...lol Looking forward to more pics

<br />Great work on the Spindels Romell. they look great. I will have to try that sometime. Funny how when we do something the first time it always takes much longer then the next time we do that. been doing that on my 1/16th scale funny car build. some stuff feels like I am taking forever on a few pieces but then again I am redoing some of it to get it perfect...lol Looking forward to more pics<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey Chris im really looking forward to seeing more up dates on that funny car I saw you had some good stuff waitin to go on it. I wish you well with that venture buddy B)

Edited by Romell R

<br /><br /><br />

Hey Chris im really looking forward to seeing more up dates on that funny car I saw you had some good stuff waitin to go on it. I wish you well with that venture buddy B)

Thanks Romell....I can't wait to get more details on my build. I was able to get some stuff done this weekend and got some more pics up

Thanks Romell....I can't wait to get more details on my build. I was able to get some stuff done this weekend and got some more pics up

Hey Chris Great job on the Funny car man! Those fabbed parts are on the money keep up the excellent work bro. B)