Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just wondering if anyone has developed some sort of spreadsheet for tracking their "collection". I've been meaning to do this for some time as I've been known to impulse buy something only to get it home and discover I already had one ;) What should be listed? Obviously make, model, year, kit manufacturer. Do you go so far as kit #, year it was issued (if known), date purchased, etc.? Looking for ideas, maybe something I'm overlooking. Please chime in!

my redneck way, once a month I take a photo of my whole Stash of kits.

Nick

Honestly that is the best way to do it for insurance purposes. Granted it doesn't make it easy to quickly look through everything if it was on paper but an insurance company will just laugh at you when you had them a big printed out spreadsheet of kits you supposedly own.

When we had our house re-roofed a few years ago, I had to move all my kits out of the (climate controlled) attic. At that time I created a list in Excel. As I add or remove kits I make notes on a pad of paper I keep up there. Someday I will actually update that Excel list with those hand written notes...

:huh:

never keep an inventory...

if the wife finds out it's all over.

I suggest multiple locations for hoard...

and if an inventory is neccesar.... then Black light is the way to go..

;):)

cbe9caa5_c3c08a1b_1fe8_4470_a88f_855ad6cab0c1.JPG

I use a MS-Access database as inventory tool… it´s because besides model kits, I also register all others related items such as aftermarket, books, tools, inks, etc.

So, there is in my database 4 main tables (and its fields):

KITS

Year / Manufacturer / Model / Model # / Model Manufacturer / Scale / Project / Raw Material / Type / Price / Location / Level / Curbside / PE / Comments / Acquisition date / Image link

For example:

1932 / Ford / Sedan Street Rod 2n1 / 85-2062 / Revell / 1:25 / Hot Rod / Plastic / Car / 18.00 / box 2 / 2 / N / N / Box sealed / May 01 / 1932HB.jpg

Being more specific about a few fields:

-Project field I use to input which kind of subject I´m intended to build this model. Could be Hot Rod, F1 / TV Show / LeMans / Muscle / Classics whatever you want it…

-Raw material, as the label says, what kind of material the kit is manufactured. Plastic, Resin, Resin + Metal.

-Type is to specify if the kit is a car, a truck, a bike, a F1, and so on…

-Location: I have a space problem… not enough to keep all models together in a locker…so I made some huge packages, big cardboard boxes, stamped numbers and keep them in an attic. If I decide to trade or sell one of them, it is easier and quicker to find out….

AFTERMARKET

Description / Manufacturer / Scale / Type / Aftermarket # / Price / Level / Acquisition date / Image link.

For example:

Pinstripe Black Decal Sheet / Bandit Resin / 1:25 / Decal / n/d / 10.00 / 1 / May 01 / decA.jpg

Where Type means: Decal / Decal+Resin / Wire / PE / PE+Aluminum / PE+Resin / PE+Metal / Resin / Wheel / Tire / Transkit / Spare Parts

CONTENT

Description / Manufacturer / Type / Content # / Price / Acquisition date / Image link.

For example:

Joe Honda Racing Pictorial Series by Hiro: Lotus 97T/ Model Factory Hiro / Book / 01 / 35.00 / May 01 / 97T.jpg

Type = Book / DVD / Magazine / CD / PDF File

TOOLS

Description / Manufacturer / Type / Tool # / Price / Level / Acquisition date / Image link.

For example:

High Precision Scissor (Photo-Etch Cutter) / MicroMark/ Cutter / XUR440 / 16.00 / May 01 / Cut.jpg

Type = any subject you want, like inks, cutter, hand tools, electric tools, materials, etc.

Once MS-Access can provide me a kind of “system” (with MS-Windows standard and all functionalities), it´s turnout a friendly way to manage and follow my inventory!

I know, it´s sounds a little crazy, but that was the way I felt more comfortable to deal with it

Edited by Drago

so far for me, it's in my memory. i don't have a stash big enough to forget what i have.

the one thing i do is, i'll seperate the makes, IE toyota, nissan, ect ect, if i have more than one make/model ill put them in the same pile. for my older kits that have no boxes, i use large zip lock bags, tag them and put them in file boxes.

My first attempt was to scan the bar codes (I know, the old kits don't have them), and then use the UPC's to create the database.

But, I couldn't get hold of the UPC database for the bar codes.

I tried everywhere, even asked hobby shops if they would let me "borrow" their data.

So, I went to plan two:

Excel with link to the photo of the kit.

That worked well, until the computer location of the picture file changed.

Now, I'm trying Bento, which is FileMaker Pro on a diet.

I will try to send screen shots of that.

FileMaker Pro would be the best, but it's expensive, and I think Bento would be an easier one to get for those on a budget.

There is also Google Docs, which is free.

I would like to see screen shots of our computer guru's and their FMP (File Maker Pro) or Excel databases/spreadsheets.

I just use a simple spreadsheet and divide it into general categories. (Street Rods,Muscle Cars,Exotics,Classics,F1,Drag Racing,Nascar, etc) I list them with manufacturer,scale,Qty of each. I then total each category,and then grand total at the bottom. I also highlight built and in progress kits.

Excel spreadsheet here too. I list the model and the corresponding decal sheet so I can keep track of what I want to build, and what aftermarket stuff I'll need for it.

I usually revisit it each time we have an upcoming swap meet on the horizon.

Aaron

Now here is something I had not thought about.

At the rate I'm buying kits perhaps I need to look into this a little further.

I replied to this post earlier and it seems to have disappeared.:D

I keep my inventory in my mind. Going through it occasionally helps me remember where things are. Occasionally you come across a pleasant surprise, Oh, look what I found,I forgot I had that.B)

Did I offend someone with my inclusion of the You-Tube video of the Amboy Dukes "Journey to the center of Your Mind" ?:blink:

I keep my inventory in my mind. Going through it occasionally helps me remember where things are. Occasionally you come across a pleasant surprise, Oh, look what I found,I forgot I had that.B)

I've done that some, the problem I've had w/ relying on memory alone is it can be faulty...I've ended up buying dupes of some items over the years because I forgot I already had one (like Johan '65 Cadillac Coupe de Villes or AMT '68 T-birds..)

I use an Excel spreadsheet and classify them the way 58 Impala mentioned, by catagory. I can then take the spreadsheet with my (via my pocket PC) to events and know if I have the kit before buying another. It has also helped for insurance purposes. I have recently added a column to tell me where the kit is (which box) as I organize them in my crawl space. Many of the modelers in my club think I'm anal, but I prefer to be organized.

I've done that some, the problem I've had w/ relying on memory alone is it can be faulty...I've ended up buying dupes of some items over the years because I forgot I already had one (like Johan '65 Cadillac Coupe de Villes or AMT '68 T-birds..)

I do have the kits stored in certain areas, Fords here, MOPARS over there, BIG kits under her.and remember, you can't have too many Cadillac Coupe de Villes or AMT '68 T-birds B)

I forgot to mention how I do mine. I have a spread sheet and photos to back it up.

About 5 years ago I lost an entire 2000+ MTG card collection that the insurance company only gave me 10 cents a card for. The collection was actually worth close to 7 grand but I couldn't prove I had the cards I said I did. Since then I have taken photos of EVERYTHING that comes in my house that isn't food or disposable. When my girlfriend and I moved in together she hated it but when a pipe leaked in our house and ruined some of here yarn she realized the difference it makes when dealing with insurance people. Instead of 2 dollars a skeen (ball of yarn) they wound up giving here full value of what she had because she could prove what she had and could prove it's actually value not just assumed value.

Keeping a inventory for yourself and to make trades easier is great on a spreadsheet but when dealing with insurance companies you need photos to back up what you say you have. Believe me it sucks to know they will only give you 10 bucks for something that is work 100 or more because you can't actually prove you owned what is on your list.

Edited by ra7c7er

I use an Excel spreadsheet and classify them the way 58 Impala mentioned, by catagory. I can then take the spreadsheet with my (via my pocket PC) to events and know if I have the kit before buying another. It has also helped for insurance purposes. I have recently added a column to tell me where the kit is (which box) as I organize them in my crawl space. Many of the modelers in my club think I'm anal, but I prefer to be organized.

Yeah, in my spreadsheet I have columns to track where they are--home or in storage, which box they are in (I number my 12x12x16 storage boxes), which storage unit, which state (AZ, CO, OH).