Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Corvette C3 WIP

mad mike

@ stump: Aw man, there are worse diseases out there!

And yup, I'm going for the Baldwin Motion Phase III, hopefully she's going to look just like this:

vemp_0212_01_z+history_of_baldwin_motion_corvettes+phase_iii_gt_corvette.jpg

But I won't use the "egg crate" front grilles and add some cockpit air scoops, and I'm planning for a 427 GT version with three taillight bands.

Hope you'll be around until she's done, it'll take some months though...

@ stump: Aw man, there are worse diseases out there!

And yup, I'm going for the Baldwin Motion Phase III, hopefully she's going to look just like this:

vemp_0212_01_z+history_of_baldwin_motion_corvettes+phase_iii_gt_corvette.jpg

But I won't use the "egg crate" front grilles and add some cockpit air scoops, and I'm planning for a 427 GT version with three taillight bands.

Hope you'll be around until she's done, it'll take some months though...

;) Yes, I guess we're lucky there's no cure for us yet.......

Man, the BM versions of Vette are my most favourite, be nice to see a giant one getting built. And yes....I'm hanging around. Heck, the 1/12 Camaro I'm building is gonna take forever......B)

Alright, instead of learning for my exams, I got some paint on my Vette.

Those pics are taken right after removing the masking tape, and the boundaries are not finished yet.

Just a little update in between... now I will add some striping and seal the whole car with clearcoat.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

A day after painting, the paint still looks wet B)

WOW!!!!! This build is incredible!!! A 1/8th scale 68 Vette. WOW! Your also planning to build the Phase III Vette too? Man, THAT would be tha MOOK! This is already a beautiful conversion, an you'll DEFINATELY be the ONLY kid on the block with one(or two)! GREAT job! :D:);)

Hey guys, I'm really glad you like the paint job!

Can't wait to show you the other parts of the car.

@Monty: I use two-component car paint to do black, grey, white and clear, and one-component water-based car paint for the colorful stuff.

The 2K-paints are from Endlendt Color and Mipa. Biggest advantage of 2K paints: they can be sanded and polished.

But without my trusty SATA Minijet paint gun, I think I wouldn't be able to get those results.

It doesn't come cheap, but painting with this gun is a real breeze - with all the little stuff (bumpers, headlights and so on) I was spraying black nearly an hour without getting the cramps.

I would never paint a car body in this scale with an airbrush or even spray cans.

125633.jpg

@semijoe: For taping, I use TESA type 4334 tape, which is similar to Tamiya masking tape. I never had any bleeding with those tapes, but it may depend on the viscosity of the paint you're using. My paint is relatively thick compared with airbrush stuff.

I'm blown away! This is high quality stuff right here, it does look like it's still wet! Torque Thrusts would look just right on this now!

Beautiful choice of colors for that paint job. Looks just like it goes, it goes like stink that little skunk!

Edited by Harry P.

I'm blown away! This is high quality stuff right here, it does look like it's still wet! Torque Thrusts would look just right on this now!

Beautiful choice of colors for that paint job. Looks just like it goes, it goes like stink that little skunk!

Don't quote pictures, just do "Add Reply" or you'll get yelled at. And I agree with that. I don't need to take the time to scroll down through pictures I've already seen. Just a word to the wise.

Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments! I like Z06Bob's nickname for my Vette most :)

Here's another little teaser pic for you, the hood sanded prior to clearcoating,

with a test fit of the raw printed magic numbers... those are only 3mm high!

DSC_00032resize.jpg

As I told you Trae, there's a little red on my Vette too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

sorry for not posting any news or pics lately.

I have embarked on a business trip to China, and I won't be back til September, so please keep watching my Vette thread.

I promise I'll be stepping on the gas once I'm back, with all the pent up energy from doing no modeling for several weeks...

It will definitely rock and I'm looking forward to it!!

• 2 months later...

Hello folks,

finally, i'm back from China, back from Mallorca, and back from the US Car Model exhibition in Frankfurt last weekend.

Guess what I did in the days and nights before the exhibition... Are you ready? Let's roll!

DSC_0167-vi.jpg

DSC_0166-vi.jpg

DSC_0163-vi.jpg

DSC_0182-vi.jpg

DSC_0171-vi.jpg

Ok, first of all: she's still WIP!

There's no chassis, no door locks, no antenna, the rear lights are not correctly fitted and the wrong version.

But worst of all, the windshield got damaged while painting the interior, with solvent bleeding through the masking tape.

I have to exchange the windshield now, because it's not possible to polish it any better than this.

Ah well, I still like her XD

Edited by mad mike