Model Cars Magazine Forum

How angry do you get?

It doesn't stress me out or anything...I just have a VERY low temper. I try my hardest not to break things... :blink:

I used to be very quick-tempered. I can be under the right conditions, still.

I found model building, especially as I got older, helped curb a lot of that.

And like Harry said- if a project causes you that much irritation, find something else to do for a while, and contemplate getting even with the project.

To paraphrase my Woods Fabrication instructor in college, the late Dr. Luther Tabor, "Remember, Charlie, you have to outsmart the plastic."

Charlie Larkin

I can say I used to get frustrated at times back in my younger days. It was especially hard for me to miss finishing up a project for an artificial deadline like a show. It never failed that if I pushed too hard or got upset I'd end up screwing up whatever I was working on and have to start over or repair it. Like most of the guys here have said you just have to recognize your limits and walk away if you have to.

There was one time that I had the opposite happen: dropped my finished model on the floor and it broke, anger of course ensued (then of course a rebuild, luckily it was one of my simpler builds).

I dropped a finished model on the floor once - right after I had photographed it, so at least I have a record of it. Parts everywhere, some of which I still haven't found. I couldn't find it in myself to be really upset about it - things happen - but I don't plan on doing it again. I just put the pieces in a box. Maybe it will get put back together one day, but more likely I'll just use parts of it for something else.

I feel like the process of building of a model is the important part - once it's finished, it's done - on to the next one.

32COUPEFRONTWITHHOOD-vi.jpg

Yes it does happen but if I get frustrated then I put it aside for another day,gives me time to hash out a solution to the problem!Smashing a model in anger I have never done because that is a total waste and the problem is you and not the model!

Now if I'm working on somehting and drop a small part or an important screw or nut on the floor, then I say things that can't be posted here ;)

Tell me about it! I drop everything I touch!

And Silken, part of the reason I was mad was because my radio wouldn't stay in tune :lol::lol: Whenever I would walk away from it, I could only hear static :lol:

Edited by Android

Yes, I sometimes get very angry making models.

Either at my own clumsiness or the stupid design of a model where nothing fits. I've never actually thrown one at the wall, but I've been very close and have ritually binned a few that obviously were never intended to be assembled. I know that walking away from it is smart but it's not always an option in the heat of the battle.

I admit, though that I'm too easily angered. For example the suggestion that I'm "obviously doing something wrong", that I need "counselling" or should "try another hobby" would already irritate me slightly.

Making model cars is also for unbalanced and irrational psychos like me!

Peter Kennedy

For example the suggestion that I'm "obviously doing something wrong", that I need "counselling" or should "try another hobby" would already irritate me slightly.

I agree B)

Me,angry noooooo never!

IMG_5299.jpg

If you don't want that, I'll gladly take it off your hands ;):lol: :lol:

Edited by Android

I know exactly where you are coming from, while now I do try to just put it away & go back to it later, I at times find it very hard to do, I haven't destroyed anything in awhile (seems my cat Freckles "the Destroyer" will do that for me), but just a few years ago (around '05-'06), I put my fist up against my 1970 Roadrunner (forgot now what caused it)totally destroying the body, I was lucky enough, I do have another one, still in the box waiting to be built. I have a "long fuse" but it seems to burn fast B) !

If I get to a point where things are not working the way I want them to, I just stop and leave it alone for a while.

It's a hobby... it's supposed to be fun, not a hassle. Remember?

i learned to do that, but at first, yup i wanted to brake it, its a hobby of patience an dedication, so you must learn to take it easy, and in the end it pays, cause youll see youll become a better builder B)

Corvettte3-vi.jpg

"SOMETIMES I GET REEEEEALLLLLY ANGRY!!!!"

Just kidding. This was done as a joke some time ago for another thread, so sorry to the folks that saw this before. I just thought it fit in...

No need to turn this into a flame war. The scary thing is Mark was so mad he did this by just glaring at it! In the future use you powers for good!

"Hulk can't glue on rear view mirror!

Hulk smash model!"

;)

More like Hulk smash sleeper!!! ;)

When I started the sleeper conversion on my STILL ongoing (and STILL stalled :lol: ) custom truck, it looked like this.

HPIM1686.jpg

After it made me say things that would make not only sailors but truckers as well blush B) , it looked like this.

HPIM1715.jpg

It took me a month to rework it, but actually in the end I was happy I threw it across the room, it came out better the second time around!! :lol:

After almost 40 years as a woodworker, a little piece of plastic has no power to irritate me. Wood, on the other hand, has a mind of its own, and is sometimes downright evil! After all that practice on something REALLY frustrating, modeling is pure pleasure. B)

I really had to think about this for a minute.

I guess I don't get angry a models.

If a issue gets to be too big for me, I box it and move on.

I have 300 boxed projects now.. ;):lol:

HULK SMASH!!!!

Love it tho.

Yes, back when I was Younger, I have set models on fire and some I blew up.

I also rebuilt the ones I blew up and done it again.. :D