Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dominik

That's exactly what I was thinking!

It could be made a little more "practical" by moving the rear glass back and making it more vertical. The angle of the back glass as is really cuts into the interior room, which is what a station wagon is all about in the first place.

turbowagon.jpg

Only problem I can see is that the hatch would be HEAVY and would need some potent struts to help lift and then hold it up

on top of that!

Only problem I can see is that the hatch would be HEAVY and would need some potent struts to help lift and then hold it up

on top of that!

That was my first thought, If the struts failed and it fell on someone, it'd likely maim or kill them. A modified hatch back would actually work a bit better. Make it so just the rear window and frame lift together, and leave the rear clip and 300 lb bumper where it is. Sort of like a sedan trunk.

I know it's not really practicle for a wagon, but the Turbine Car was not really practicle in the first place.

Just a thought.

David G.

That was my first thought, If the struts failed and it fell on someone, it'd likely maim or kill them.

Every minivan has a huge rear hatch like that, they're supported with gas struts. What are the odds of both struts failing at the exact same time? Probably about a million to one or less. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being hurt by a falling hatch.

But like you said, this car is purely hypothetical anyway, so practicality doesn't enter into it.

Very interesting discussion about the function of the rear hatch. I think, the hatch with the bumper is too heavy. If i remember at the hitch from my VW Transporter, where the gas struts are weakly and i always had to hold it with one hand...sometimes, the hitch fall without warning down... :o:unsure:

My intention is the same like David says. I will make some lines on the model and a photo, then i post it - what i mean ;) i can not draw it with the computer like you Harry. Youre lines look very realistic!

Is this the reason, why they canceled the "trubinecarprojekt" without any other variants B) ? Only built a 2-Door sedan?

Just kidding...i know about the history of the Turbinecar ;)

Every minivan has a huge rear hatch like that, they're supported with gas struts. What are the odds of both struts failing at the exact same time? Probably about a million to one or less. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being hurt by a falling hatch.

But like you said, this car is purely hypothetical anyway, so practicality doesn't enter into it.

I've only owned relatively small hatchbacks and SUV's Harry and even those would ring my bell in cold weather as the struts aged nd dropped the hatch on my head!

Hi,

here is my idea to open the hatch. It is not practical and more a lifestyle wagon:

CIMG111003_064.jpg

There only swings up the part obove the bumper and a small frame around the rear window. The Bumper will be on there place.

I know, to load heavy and big things isn't possible. But if you look into the trunk....sooo much room isn't there and no seats to fold down ;)

Lifestyle wagon - the only purpose is to look good and make the neighbors envious :D

Edited by Dominik

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving this.

One thought... If Chrysler were to have built a Turbine wagon way back then, wouldn't they have reshaped the rear panels, flattening the "Astro" flair, to be more inline with their then current production models? Such as what was done on the '63 and later Darts and Valiants, thus allowing the, then popular, dual tailgate design to work? The wagon's rear treatment was decidedly different from the hardtops, sedans and convertibles.

Edited by darquewanderer

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for comments!

Ian, here i have some pictures of the EZ-Kit, what is the base of the body with the changes, to fit the interior and the underbody.

-> I cut the back tips of the underbody (red line)

CIMG9946.JPG

-> i cut the rear tray behind the headrests (red arrows). the circle marks, that there is no fold from the (2-)door!

CIMG9945.JPG

-> i glued a streak of sheet on the trunk

CIMG9947.JPG

-> i fixed the body with the two parts of the interieur, to take some points of glue for fixing the trunk to the interieur

CIMG9868.JPG

This gap i stabilized with sheet from the bottom, to fill it on the top with putty. That was the trickiest part of all, the upper line of the interieur similar to the windows looks "perfect"

-> next, i build a armrest for the rear doors (red circle) for both sides and scratched the doorline similar to the outter doorline (red arrow) into the interieur

CIMG110905_004.jpg

-> last i filled the gap at the back with sheet, sanded it and made the rest of the boywork for finish

CIMG110905_003.jpg

Thats it. I hope, this is understandable and useful, to make your Turbin a cool locking phantom