Model Cars Magazine Forum

your work bench

I have a strange work bench. The further I get into the project the work bench surace begins to disappear and sometimes it's a real race as to whether the project will be finished before the work space totally disappears and when the latter happens I'll even have trouble finding what I was working one. LOL

A few months ago if someone had looked at my bench they would have seen a pile of half finished projects that ranged from one week to several months old. However after looking over my bench I found that I really didn't want most of the stuff I had, so I cleared everything out, one could say that there was a mass exodus of model kits. I had to sell most of the kits I had and the rest of them went to the trash, the only kits I kept were my complete collection of John Bogosain and Tom Daniels show rods and my Jimmy Flintstone resin mad monster kits. My parts box origionally spanned a closet full of boxes and parts, however after realizing that I could sell them on eBay I got rid of them, they sold for over two hundred dollars. My collection of boxes (most of which had cars still in them, I placed those on craigs list and let them go for over a hundred and fifty dollars. The most obvious problem is my dicast collection that has been building up for over fifteen years in my back room. I still havn't sold any of those, but I plan on selling them on craigs list due to the fact that it would cost over five hundred dollars to ship.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is in the correct section. For this "On the Workbench" thread is actually about...the Workbench.

I have recently decided to convert a spare bedroom into a new work shop, so I though I'd document the process with some Photos. I hope you will enjoy the ride.

First up is site prep. I cleaned an vacumed the new work site.

100_7051-vi.jpg

100_7052-vi.jpg

100_7053-vi.jpg

Now that the "site" has been prepped, I brought in some of the proposed furniture for a "Dry-fit" as it were. First up is the Main Work Bench.

100_7054-vi.jpg

The Main Work Bench is a 30" x 6' Samsonite plastic topped table.(from Lowes) I have added a pine wood top to it. The top was added because I hated the sound of a hobby knife rolling across the table. Plus it's a bit more functional. I was going to seal the wood top with urethane, but I liked the unfinished wood much better. It just says "work bench" instead of furniture. I also routed the top edge to make leaning against the edge while working a bit more comfortable.

100_7063-vi.jpg

Here you can see the routed edge a bit better. While I had the router out, I carved out a pocket in the top to accept a 12" x 18" marble cutting board.

The board sits flush with the wood top and I use it as a surface plate during construction. It has made it a little easier to get the chassis square. In the future I plan to replace the marble with granite, because I have been told that it is more durable. The marble will scratch quite easily with an X-acto. I have sealed the edges with white tub and tile caulk to prevent tiny peices from disappearing into the seem.

100_7057-vi.jpg

On the right side of the main bench is a plastic set of shelves. (also from Lowes) It can hold std Revell boxes 2 deep front to back. It will be the "Staging Lanes" for future builds.

100_7058-vi.jpg

On the left is another Samsonite table. This one is 24" x 48". It will be used for that extra space that you always seem to need. I am not adding the extra wood top to this unit.

OK, that's it for tonight. Hopefully more tomorrow.

What work bench, I have a 6 ft long by 2 ft deep L shaped wood area covered with various model pieces parts paints and tools , I haven't seen this thing called a 'work bench' in years.

Although I do occasionaly get to see an area that resembles wood about 18" by 18" from time to time .

Ok, as promised, I have a few more photos to post tonight. When we last left off, I Showed you the surface plate. Since I have used this bench before, I know that I need to raise the work surface height. I was experiencing some iritation in my shoulders and upper back that was coming from leaning down to the work surface. I did not want to go with a shorter chair, so I went in the opposite direction and raised the table height. In order to do that I built risers.

100_7059-vi.jpg

These risers are made from a 4" x 4" x 4" cube of pressure treated pine (it's what the store had when I built them) that is attached to a 6" x 6" x 1" pine base plate. The upper corners have all had a radius routed onto them.

100_7060-vi.jpg

This shot shows a little more detail of one of the risers. The pocket in the top was made with a paddle drill bit. The diameter is just a little larger than the diameter of the table leg. I did this so that the table could not slip off of the risers. Since these risers were made for a different house, and that floor was not exactly level, 2 of the pockets were drilled a little deeper to compensate for the previous floor. I will adjust this depth by filling the pocket with some 2-part 5 minute epoxy. These particular risers are for the side table.

100_7062-vi.jpg

This riser shown sitting on top of the main work bench is for the main bench itself. The notch in the back was so I could clear a previous radiator pipe.

I am filling the risers with epoxy now, so hopefully I will have some photos later of them installed.

Thanks for watching.

I just cleaned it off between builds, forgot what it looked like under there. lol Here also is a sneak peek at my latest build, a "50 Chevy Pickup. I will take a break tomorrow with my two Grandkids coming over to spend the day. May find time to work on 5 1/2 year old's Corvette with her. (Don't forget the half). ;)DSC03597.jpgDSC03598.jpgDSC03600.jpg

WHOA!

You don't want to spill any paint thinner by that water heater.

Nice Truck

Thanks, yeah you are right, if you look close I have a can of thinner right on the edge of the bench. I like living on the edge a little bit but, thanks for pointing that out. See this forum is good for a lot of other things. Thanks again AzTom. :o

for this topic & Workbench Saturdays, too, i have to say the big elaborate rooms are nice, but the little 2' x 2' spots have heart.

i am lucky enough to have a large room about 18' x 14'. My actual work space is about 3 x 6.

joe.