Model Cars Magazine Forum

your work bench

Ok, so the epoxy has finally dried, and I have placed the risers under the benches. The table top height has gone from 30" to 36", and is much more comfortable. Especially during those long, marathon, days at the bench just before an upcoming contest. Dont you just love deadlines?

100_7301-vi.jpg

I have also moved a bookshelf in. This will be my refrence "section".

100_7302-vi.jpg

And I have started to put a few kits on the "staging" shelves.

100_7303-vi.jpg

I guess the next step will be to install the cabinets on the wall over the main bench. I have to getthem from storage.

More to follow. Stay tuned...same Bat Time...same Bat Channel..

• 4 weeks later...

I just RTO'd (renting to own*) this,was delivered today. Over the coming month(s),it'll get floored (linolium),insulated/panel-cieling added,electrified,air conditioned/heated,and set up as the new model building/bicycle workshoping Man Cave I've wanted for about 29 years (I'm only 39... :blink: ) :D

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

As Mater said "Wooooohooooo!!! I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!"............oh wait,we just moved INTO a trailer park :blink: Need a new expression,don't I? :P:lol:

* Plus I figured out how to get it for only $3 per month (that's THREE0 out of pocket/income/bill moneys B)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

I set my table on a set of those appliance rollers so I could move it back and forth. It raised it to a more comfortable hieght too. I created some shelving and attached it so that it sets on top of the table and then created some more shelving out of four inch wide boards that give me about four inches between the shelves, these shelves were created to hold molds. I attached this to the back side of the shelves on the table and put wheels on it so that it all glides back and forth with the table so if I need a certain mold I can pull the table back and get it.

"Ma'am"? You need new glasses,Bub,ain't nothin feminine about this olskool model builder :blink::mellow:

What? Huh? It's a reference to the old line in Dragnet asking for specific information about a particular topic, ie. this is a picture of my work bench and not a tour of my house. Just because it happened to follow your post in no way implies it is in any way related to your post. Certainly no reference to anyone's femininity or lack thereof was intended. :o:huh::wacko:<_<-_-:);)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, it's been a little while, but I was finally able to make some progress. I retrieved the wall cabinet from storage and shanghied a buddy into helping me install them. (read that as I watched as my buddy Al installed these.) Now all I need to do is fill them again.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

There's a few more detail photos here:

http://public.fotki.com/El-Tanque/models/work-shop/

What? Huh? It's a reference to the old line in Dragnet asking for specific information about a particular topic, ie. this is a picture of my work bench and not a tour of my house. Just because it happened to follow your post in no way implies it is in any way related to your post. Certainly no reference to anyone's femininity or lack thereof was intended. :o:huh::wacko:<_<-_-:);)

Okey-dokey ok then,LOL :P:) Wow,I'd almost forgotten about Dragnet,I loved that show as a kid! (it was well into it's rerun status by then,LOL,before my time-but not by much,LOL) :D

My "bench" is an old computer armoire, I picked it up for about $150, It's now set up with lights, a removable photo booth area, and lots of space for storage!

An overall shot...

MC008-vi.jpg

The removable photo booth...

MC004-vi.jpg

And the photo booth removed, giving me more work area...

MC006-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just snapped these this morning with the wife's phone. In my old room, I had this table as a second desk, and an "L" corner desk as my main desk, but it did not survive a recent move as well as a bunch of trophies and childhood builds. I would like more work space at some point, and would love a sink, but for now I would settle for more lighting.

med_gallery_8985_809_396788.jpg

the spay booth to the right, with spare parts etc below

med_gallery_8985_809_611440.jpg

unpacked kits and parts, waiting on shelves, more in the closet as well

med_gallery_8985_809_997753.jpg

Will personalize the room more over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of my bench.

Nothing fancy, but functonal. Do most everything from build to take photos here.

Corey

Sorry man. Got pulled away from my computer and forgot to post em. Here ya go.

IMG_0478_zpse11d1d76.jpg

IMG_0479_zps243e1f2b.jpg

IMG_0480_zps1101299b.jpg

IMG_0481_zpsf09971f9.jpg

Edited by dimebolt

i gotta question for almost everyone who has posted a picture: how long do y'all keep paint?

i had about 70 cans of spray paint (sealed/ unopened) as well as that many, and some duplicates, of jar paint just in the far possibility i might run out on a sunday afternoon in the midst of a heavy build session.

now in reality, there's no need to have a solution for a problem that does not exist. but what is the reason - and perhaps more important, the shelf life, of having all this paint around?

doesn't it get stale?

I posted this on the Workbench Saturdays thread, but I guess I can put it here too...

This is my Roll Top desk workbench in my modeling area down in my basement. The '53 Ford I've been working on is front & center at the moment...

010.jpg

These shelves from Lowe's hold my stash of unbuilt kits...

012-1.jpg

These glass cabinets hold some of my built models. The teacup hooks on the edge of the bench hold my aftermarket & PE stuff in binder clips separated by category ( engine, interior, wire, trim, etc...)

011.jpg

This glass cabinet hold my "Hall of Famer's... the models that have been pictured in model or car magazines. The shelf to the right holds my assortment of spray paints...

013.jpg

These shelves next to my workbench hold my started projects in various stages of completion, my vinyl gloves & face masks for painting, and assorted storage bins of parts.

014-1.jpg