Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Black Widow convertible - follow up

Alyn

Here's the front clip, a little rough, a lucky find none the less.

Img_2832b.jpg?psid=1

you can see here where I had to weld in the front half of the drivers side fender

Img_2834b.jpg?psid=1

Front clip set on the frame (not bolted down).

Img_2805b.jpg?psid=1

Img_2820b.jpg?psid=1

We've had to push it around the shop quite a bit, so I found a milk crate to sit on.

Img_2798b.jpg?psid=1

The enthusiastic comments are great, thanks.

Mike, MIG welders are so easy to use, they can make anyone look good. Here's a better shot of the weld seam

Img_2814b-vi.jpg

Dominik, this car is based on the Revell 57 Chevy 150 Black Widow kit. It's 1:25th scale.

• 11 months later...

Once again, I can't leave well enough alone. I called this one done some time ago, but sometimes the little things just keep itching at you. When I built this car, I had intended on scratch building the hydraulic mechanism for the top, but got in a rush to get it done and let that detail slip away. The other day I was in between model projects and decided to follow up on the details.

I started by adding some studs and nuts on the intake manifold for the missing carb. While on the engine I cleaned up a few weathering details. Here's the result

Img_6034b.jpg?psid=1

another angle

Img_6030b.jpg?psid=1

Here's the hydraulics; a scratch-built ram and pump and some mods to the top frame to attach the ram. Unfortunately, none of my pics show the pump. It's covered up by the hydraulic hoses. I also added the brace across the bottom of the tulip panel.

Img_6038b.jpg?psid=1