Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone here play guitar?

Oh, yeah- Dean guitars is still around. They have a series of Dave Mustaine guitars out now. The one I lust after is this one, but it's out of my budget at the moment-

http://www.deanguita...staineGW409.jpg

According to legend, Dave Mustaine actually came pretty close to buying Dean many years ago. Dean also put out a series of Dimebag guitars and amps quite a while ago- missed the boat on those, now they fetch some pretty handsome prices.

Edited by Chuck Most

Ziggy played guitar, jammin' good with Weird and Gilly, The spiders from Mars, he played it left hand, But made it too far Became the special man, then we were Ziggy's band. Ziggy really sang, screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling He could leave 'em to hang Came on so loaded man, well hung and snow white tan. So where were the spiders while the fly tried th break our balls Just a beer light to guide us So we bitched about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands? Ziggy played for time, jiving us that we was voodoo The kids was just crass. He was the nazz With God given ass He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar. Making love with his ego, Ziggy sucked up into his mind. Like a leper messiah, When the kids had killed the man I had to break up the band. Ziggy Played Guitar.

I own two Dean Z's from the '80s... back then, Dean Zielinski hired me to create some custom artwork and they made decals from my art and applied them to the guitar bodies. They were sold as a line of "custom artwork" guitars.

That was a looooong time ago! I don't even know if Dean Guitars is still in business! But I still have those two Dean Z's. They're actually "pre-production" prototypes. Hmmmmm... wonder what they would fetch on ebay? ;)

BTW... back then Dean was married to a Playboy Playmate. True! I remember meeting her, but I don't remember her name. But I do remember that she was, uh... quite attractive... ;)

Her name is Suzi!

I also play and have several Guitars. Both my kids play too. Between is there are 9 guitars in this house !

Most impressive to me is that at your age you want to learn to play Rush. That's great ! My son likes the good ole stuff too...He has a real nice used Gibson SG that's his baby.

DSCF0636.jpg

JJ

Edited by Jeff Johnston

Most impressive to me is that at your age you want to learn to play Rush. That's great ! My son likes the good ole stuff too...He has a real nice used Gibson SG that's his baby.

Ha, yeah, I'm a bit different from the rest of the kids. The Working Man interlude is the fastest thing I can play.

And nice guitars you got there. I wish I had that kind of money :(

Here's the one I'm getting

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fender%26%23174%3B+-+Starcaster%26%23174%3B+Strat%26%23174%3B+Electric+Guitar+Pack+-+Black/9952217.p?id=1218200061096&skuId=9952217

Edited by Andy C.

I play a drum kit . . . have been for 45 years, off and on. I still have my 1964 Ludwig chrome snare drum. Also play a killer custom 5 string banjo.

My son plays a Guild Bluesbird P90 and a PRS Tremonti Tribal (#50 out of 100 made)

My daughter plays a beautiful PRS Standard 24, the wood is natural finish.

I play a drum kit . . . have been for 45 years, off and on. I still have my 1964 Ludwig chrome snare drum. Also play a killer custom 5 string banjo.

My son plays a Guild Bluesbird P90 and a PRS Tremonti Tribal (#50 out of 100 made)

My daughter plays a beautiful PRS Standard 24, the wood is natural finish.

ooohhhhh!!!! another banjo mate! you hangout at the banjohangout? :lol:

Andy. One suggestion. That Starcaster from Best buy is a hunk of junk. I know you are a new Guitarist, and I fully believe you or your parents should not pay a lot of money for a guitar until you really know your into it... Having said that, the Fender Squire Bullet is a much better piece for about the same money. You have to go to Guitar center or your local Music store who sells Fender guitars. The Squire bullet is about 120 dollars and really is a better guitar than the Starcaster at Best Buy. You will be much happier with it.

As far as having the money for guitars, you will someday..I did not buy them all at once after all :) They were acquired over many years.

look here

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Bullet-Strat-with-Tremolo-104494315-i1385540.gc

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Johnston

I've been playing Bass for almost 40 yrs. now..... Geeez, I'm getting old!

The_Twins003-vi.jpg

These are my 5 & 4 string Ibanez BTB's.Incredible Basses for the money.

PBass1-vi.jpg

This is my `92 American P-Bass California Series. It's basically a Jazz neck on a P body w/ Jazz pick up's. I'll never sell this Bass. Never.

I also just picked up a Epiphone EB3-L. I always wanted a real Gibson EB3-L when I was a kid because of Jack Bruce. Now I have one and I never play it or photographed it. Go figure....... screwloose.gif

SANY0025-vi.jpg

Man I love playing!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Andy. One suggestion. That Starcaster from Best buy is a hunk of junk. I know you are a new Guitarist, and I fully believe you or your parents should not pay a lot of money for a guitar until you really know your into it... Having said that, the Fender Squire Bullet is a much better piece for about the same money. You have to go to Guitar center or your local Music store who sells Fender guitars. The Squire bullet is about 120 dollars and really is a better guitar than the Starcaster at Best Buy. You will be much happier with it.

As far as having the money for guitars, you will someday..I did not buy them all at once after all :) They were acquired over many years.

look here

http://www.guitarcen...315-i1385540.gc

Jeff

Hmm...With a cheap $30 amp, and a cheap distortion pedal, it's actually a couple bucks cheaper. :lol:

So, what's wrong with the Starcaster? I heard something about the strings coming untuned when using the tremolo bar.

Hmm...With a cheap $30 amp, and a cheap distortion pedal, it's actually a couple bucks cheaper. :lol:

So, what's wrong with the Starcaster? I heard something about the strings coming untuned when using the tremolo bar.

With or without using the tremolo it won't likely stay in tune. Its just really a pile of junk which is why they don't call it a Stratocaster... The Squire bullet my daughter has stays in tune reasonably well, and the neck tends to stay in place. I had a Fender squire years ago that gave me fits in so much as it was never in tune. For not a lot more you can get up into the Fender Squire Affinity. Also Epiphone, Peavy and Ibanez has some reasonably nice starter guitars. If you have a Guitar center nearby go check some out as there are a lot of inexpensive options way better than the Starcaster.

look here

http://www.guitarcen...315-i1385540.gc

Jeff

one thing i may add here! if your new to the guitar playing or have been out for years or something then do this!

1. my brother has an acoustic fender sa 100 guitar. now you need to start with an acoustic such as this (its all of $106 and change after taxes) and play on it for at least one half hour per day (while learning some chords and such) "EVERY" day for at least a couple weeks which will allow your fingers to callus out right!

^^^ AND THAT'S COMING FROM A BANJO PLAYER SUCH AS "I" ! (friend that is a pretty darn good guitar player told me that to tell my brother)

2. Don't buy the cheapy electric guitar that your talking about its not worth it! you will be fixing it more than playing it!!! Fender has an electric guitar starter package out to (I KNOW YOUR THINKING IM A DEALER, BUT TRUST ME I'M NOT!) :lol: that would be a good starting point for you.

3. there was something else but my mind just went blank! :blink:

I'm TOTALLY on board with Jeff about staying away from the Starcaster. You can find older Korean Squier strats from next to nothing, and nthey are MUCH better guitars.

I understand that you're new, and you're not ready to drop 1700 bucks for A really nice strat, but you can't go with a total piece of junk like the Starcaster. My late 90's beat up Squier has a real wood body. The newer stuff actually has a particlke board body.

Not me. Really interesting photo shot recently in Libya. Lots of debate on whether or not that guitar was photoshopped into his hands, but this image and two others appear on the Getty Images website.

s-LIBYA-GUITAR-large640.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I'll get the Squier, with this amp:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=guitar+amp&hl=en&cid=4091420747625766182&os=sellers

Then I need my two cables and a distortion pedal. Man it gets expensive :(