Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Oldsmobile 442, 3 Day Project!

spkgibson

704423.jpg704422.jpg70442.jpg The steering wheel spokes were done with alcad, And the dash was drybrush detailed, The interior in these kits have hardly any side details at all, So I left it alone. I think it turned out nice for 3 days work. Edited by spkgibson

Well, that's humbling. You only need three days to knock out a build that looks like it just rolled off a showroom floor, while it takes me three weeks to decide on a color.

Couple questions if you don't mind:

1) Did you also use the '69 Chassis?

2) The paint gives it a very factory stock look. What paint did you use.

Well, that's humbling. You only need three days to knock out a build that looks like it just rolled off a showroom floor, while it takes me three weeks to decide on a color.

Couple questions if you don't mind:

1) Did you also use the '69 Chassis?

2) The paint gives it a very factory stock look. What paint did you use.

That is the chassis that is in the kit, I sprayed it with Black Primer, Taped off the gas tank, and mufflers, Sprayed them with the testors metalizer steel,For the gas tank, And aluminum for the mufflers. The pipes are hand painted steel, The Color is automotive Lacquer That I had mixed up, The color had different names for it, Example, Gulfstream Blue ,For Buick, Oldsmobile called it Astro Blue . I payed $15 for 4 onces of it , Back when I could still get it locally, I mixed the entire 4 onces with the right amount of thinner, And for what I spent , You can get about 6 to 7 cars painted with it, Plus it goes on smooth, I used one heavy coat of the Testor's one coat clear lacquer on it, Then rubbed it out with polishing compound.. Now I need to find another set of the AMT 69 Wheels to replace the ones I used for this car.

Edited by spkgibson

• 1 month later...

You ever notice how alot of builds are buried within 2 or 3 days? I don't understand it, I can't even find that Chevelle you were building, And EVERYTHING I build sinks like a stone, It makes you feel like a poor modeler. Thats what I mean, Yeah this was built in 3 days, But 12 replies on something like this, Or anything else I build , But if you post a rust bucket , Everybody goes nuts over the stuff, I geuss I'm just getting tired of this place. You think about the money involved in this build alone, $35 for the kit, $25 for the paint, And the 24 hours of my time, I spent 8 hours a day on the ###### thing.

Who are you building for? You? Or the accolades of a group of people online you really don't know that well? Also, you are assuming that no response is a bad response - not necessarily true. Many forum users just don't see fit to post "nice" just to add to a topics number count. While its a great model, it's not something most of us haven't seen, so I looked and thought "oh, nice looking build", but didn't post a response.

Comments are also reciprocal - the more you give, the more you get.

This is my kind of build. Nice factory looking build. No rust, no low rider bs. Just a beautiful model. I have one but I will be using the 69 chassis, engine for mine. It will also be a super stock drag car. Any great job. Looks awesome. Thank you for sharing.

I missed this one but had a lot of home issues around that time so I probably missed a lot of good stuff.

Really nice clean build of a Johan Model! A really good subject too! Those old Olds' had some sweet body lines through that period!

Personally I could not have sold it! :lol:

I had to buy X-Mas gifts for my son, And wife. I give comments alot, Never Negitive ones, I feel this way, Everyone has their own building styles and such, But there is alot of overly done new kits one here right now, All of the new kits, Like the Hudson, Novas, I still haven't bought myself a Hudson yet, But when I get one I sure will research the heck out of it before anything gets glued, As I did with this ,And all of my other builds, I didn't mind getting rid of this one, I have another 70 to build the same way, But I had to get the Family gifts, The person offered to buy it, And it was gone. So no regrets on my end. My family gets a decent X-Mas this year.

Honestly Steve, I didn't see it the first time around either. I saw it this morning and was going to respond but then I saw your post and I was a little confused. I think this is a great looking car. It's very sharp and cleanly built. It's a great color too.

(I'll keep going if you wanna throw me one of your '74 Cutlass') :D

Oh, and the reason you can't find my Chevelle thread is because it's been awhile since I've updated it. I have been polishing the body out one panel at a time every other night or so (so I don't lose my mind) but there hasn't really been anything picture worthy for a while now. Something happened with my clear coat and it's been a (enter bad word here) to get smoothed out and shiny.

Here's the link though if you want it

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41074&hl=&fromsearch=1

I didn't see it the first time, either. And it's definitely worth commenting on and congratulations. Maybe it got caught in a flurry of threads and got pushed away from the top onto another page. That happens.

Seems that every comment on the thread was during 2 hours on October 28 until you revived it this morning. That means to me that something unique happened.

You ever notice how alot of builds are buried within 2 or 3 days? I don't understand it, I can't even find that Chevelle you were building, And EVERYTHING I build sinks like a stone, It makes you feel like a poor modeler. Thats what I mean, Yeah this was built in 3 days, But 12 replies on something like this, Or anything else I build , But if you post a rust bucket , Everybody goes nuts over the stuff, I geuss I'm just getting tired of this place. You think about the money involved in this build alone, $35 for the kit, $25 for the paint, And the 24 hours of my time, I spent 8 hours a day on the ###### thing.

Don"t sweat it. You sold it for $200.00 shows someone liked it well enough. Rust buckets are just a fad that will go away in time. Your style of build will never go away.

I had to buy X-Mas gifts for my son, And wife. I give comments alot, Never Negitive ones, I feel this way, Everyone has their own building styles and such, But there is alot of overly done new kits one here right now, All of the new kits, Like the Hudson, Novas, I still haven't bought myself a Hudson yet, But when I get one I sure will research the heck out of it before anything gets glued, As I did with this ,And all of my other builds, I didn't mind getting rid of this one, I have another 70 to build the same way, But I had to get the Family gifts, The person offered to buy it, And it was gone. So no regrets on my end. My family gets a decent X-Mas this year.

Been there and done that several times over the years so I know where you are coming from when it comes to the wife and kids. No sacrifice is too great where they come in! :)