Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many camaros, corvettes and t-birds do we have to look at?

I wholeheartedly agree- but the majority of them were four and six powered. Good enough cars, but take away the Mustang name and there really wasn't much to write home about with the rest of the lineup besides the GT.

I had a 4cyl LX in college...pretty under powered and not too memorable. Still enjoy my '87 GT though. But I really want a '12 Boss 302.

the 5.0 Mustang changed EVERYTHING about the 80's and early 90's as far as performance cars went. it kicked the Camaro and Firebird square in the nuts and took off running.

hehehehe Dave my newest most favorite line on the forum lol.

Chuck my 82 GLX was pretty fun to drive even with the inline 6. I parted out a wrecked and poorly repaired 93 LX had the dual plug 4 in it. Was pretty fun doin donuts in that car and scarin the hell out the guy next to me who convinced me to put seats back in just so we could drive it one final time before it died lol

Personally, I can't think of any subject that I was super anxious to build that wasn't available. I build tanks, planes, jets, race cars of any kind, motorcycles - each from all kinds of eras. My fear is the opposite - that I will never have the time to build every model out there that I really want to. It's a great time, for me at least, to be into this hobby.

For the 1991 model year, Ford reintroduced a V8 option with the 4.9 L (302 cu in) Windsor 5.0 V8. The engine was used through the 1993 model year and produced 200 horsepower (150 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lb·ft (373 N·m) of torque at 3000 rpm; gains of 35 horsepower (26 kW) and 25 lb·ft (34 N·m) of torque respectively over the 1988 Thunderbird, the previous Thunderbird to use this engine. Like the standard 3.8 L V6, the V8 was only mated to the AOD 4-speed automatic transmission. On the television program MotorWeek in a review of the 1991 Thunderbird and similar Mercury Cougar, a road test of a V8-equipped Thunderbird revealed that the car could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 9.2 seconds; approximately two seconds faster than a standard V6 Thunderbird but about two seconds slower than a Super Coupe.[6]

Is it possible, that it could have been opted for?

I don't find anything that looks like you could have, but... just thought I'd try to help a fella out.

Edited by Dave42

Probably as many of them as 32 Fords. That being said, my name is Glenn, and I have a problem. I am addicted to 32 Fords. I think I shall start D.A. "Deuces Anonymous"

"Step one I am powerless over 32 Fords"

"Step Two AMT's 32 Fords causes my life to becpme unmanageable"

"Step Three I have made a decision to turn my life and my will over to Round Two"

It was a 1991 SC 5.0L, bought from Intercars B.V. US-Cars in Herve, Belgium. It was an EEC export version.

if it had a 5.0, it wasnt an sc, simple as that, SC stood for Super coupe. the super referring to the Super charged V6 in said coupe.

Correct Mark, but if he claims to have owned it, maybe he has some pics to back up this claim. Come on, once any normal car guy gets a new car, what does he do?? :unsure::huh::blink:

HE TAKES A PIC OF IT!! :o

if it had a 5.0, it wasnt an sc, simple as that, SC stood for Super coupe. the super referring to the Super charged V6 in said coupe.

It seems to be quite obvious that they must have labelled EEC Export versions with the V8 as SCs, because I had one of them. The supercharged V6 version wasn't available unless it was a grey import.

It seems to be quite obvious that they must have labelled EEC Export versions with the V8 as SCs, because I had one of them. The supercharged V6 version wasn't available unless it was a grey import.

Did it have SC-specific interior trim, SC front and rear fascias, side ground effects, and SC-specific wheels? The SC looked pretty distinct from a regular T-Bird.

The SC looked pretty distinct from a regular T-Bird.

No kidding!! I have the 1990 Revell T-Bird SC kit thinking I was going to modify it to build my 1:1 90 Bird, but it would be easier to make the 1:1 a fake SC!

Hey, that's the answer!!! Christian's so called 5.0L SC WAS A FAKE!!! :o :o :huh::blink::rolleyes:

They also sold Buick Electras and Cadillac DeVilles with small block Chevy engines. Not faked. Built that way for export. With kph speedometers reaching all the way up to 220 and odometers in km. That was the easiest way to tell them away from grey imports, wich had dual mph/kph scales reaching up to 85mph only and odos in miles. The Plymouth Voyager was sold as a Chrysler, same with the Omni/Charger/Laser. There were weirder things, but I can't remember them all. Oh yes, the Dodge Spirit was sold as a Chrysler Saratoga.

What wasn't sold 'officially' was the 3.8 supercharged Ford. It didn't survive sustained high speeds on the Autobahn. It threw the rods. There were quite a few 'cooked' grey imports to prove the point in the early Nineties. The 5.0 SC was an official export model, complete with orange turn signals, no side markers, and no third brake light, to meet EEC specs of the time. The car is now in Poland and I just emailed the present owner to send me pics. The ones I have would be on paper and I have no idea where I dug them under somewhen the past twenty years. It is silver metallic with a light grey interior. It has the full SC gear front, back, and on the sides, wheels, and IIRC special front seats. And it has the steering wheel with the SC badge.

The first of the 'modern' supercharged American cars that was officially imported was the Buick Park Avenue Ultra. And guess what. Lots of them dropped their rods onto German Autobahns, so they were quickly withdrawn.

Edited by Junkman

Personally, I can't think of any subject that I was super anxious to build that wasn't available. My fear is the opposite - that I will never have the time to build every model out there that I really want to. It's a great time, for me at least, to be into this hobby.

Same here; with all of the different extras available from the aftermarket, I find myself with way more ideas than time to build the actual models! :lol: I have so many in progress that I forget about them until I go kit grokking!! :lol:

well, i'm looking for proof that 5.0 SC's were built by Ford for the purpose of export, so far i've found nothing online that supports that claim anywhere. maybe they did and maybe they didn't, we'll see what Christian comes up with as far as pics but i'm looking for more than that. if Ford did indeed build those cars configured that way for export then there will obviously be more than just one.

I can't count how many people I have met that claim to have the ONLY one of such and such. They were lucky enough to recognize what they had and how extremely rare it is (and parlayed the supposed rareness into exceptionally high value). One that comes to mind is a one of a kind "German Corvette" that comes to the local shows here.

1410147139_d8f29efc4e.jpg

The story is "priceless". And this photo makes it look far cleaner than seeing it in person.

How many things can you see that are "off" for a factory Corvette? Check out those speakers! Side pipes, Rally Wheels...

"Initially, the engine choices were modest, with only the 3.8-liter Essex V6 available for the first three years, along with a 3.8-liter supercharged version available only in the Super Coupe model (more on that later). The base V6 was rather lacking in power output, with only 140 horsepower available. Acceleration times were leisurely, and it was only available with Ford's AOD four-speed automatic. If you didn't want the Super Coupe variant but did want a little more power, you were out of luck until the 1991 model year, when Ford shoehorned the Windsor 5.0 V8. This engine produced 200 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque, which was a gain of 35 horsepower over the last Thunderbird equipped with a V8 (1988). The television program Motorweek tested the new V8 T-Bird and saw 0-60 runs of 9.2 seconds--almost two seconds faster than the V6, but still not as fast as the Super Coupe version. Once again, the only transmission available was the Ford AOD Automatic."

Read the whole article here:http://www.automotiv...ings&Itemid=336

Well Roger.............the Mustang Cobra line was from 1979-81, with the 82GT taking the helm as top performer. Then again in 1993, SVT, as a parting gift to the outgoing FOX Chassis line, birthed the 1993 Cobra and Cobra-R models.

As to the Canadian Cobras.........they were actually badged as GT Cobras.

But then again, who cares as they aren't the elusive 1-of-1 SC 5.0L

Edited by whale392

Well Roger.............the Mustang Cobra line was from 1979-81, with the 82GT taking the helm as top performer. Then again in 1993, SVT, as a parting gift to the outgoing FOX Chassis line, birthed the 1993 Cobra and Cobra-R models.

And the '82-84 GT was also available w/ the turbo 4 (in '84-86 the SVO was the Turbo 4 model). IIRC, the 5.0 wasn't available in the '81 when Ford had the weak 4.2 instead..

Edited by Rob Hall