Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Roadster HiBoy

Ramfins59

Well hello everyone. I finally broke down and joined this site after looking at it for a couple of months.

I haven't actually finished a model in pretty close to a year. One thing or another you know... Paint issues, bad weather for painting, lack of ambition, the modeling doldrums... whatever.

My last finished model is a Revell 32 Ford Roadster HiBoy. The inspiration for it was the Tom McMullen Roadster HiBoy. I've always wanted to make a totally flamed HiBoy and this is it.

The wheels & tires are from the Little Coffin kit. The cycle fenders are from the Green Hornet kit. The engine is from the Revell chopped 49 Merc kit, with Bob Dudek valve covers. MCG photo-etched spider web grille & steering wheel. Bob Dudek moon tank & Revell 32 Ford nerf bars and flame decals.

I am currently working on and off on a 50 Ford Convertable Custom that is giving me fits with the paint. I will persevere and win the battle though.

post-8925-0-87221800-1323131064_thumb.jppost-8925-0-77886500-1323131102_thumb.jppost-8925-0-48171200-1323131125_thumb.jppost-8925-0-98754600-1323131139_thumb.jp.

Excellent job, Rich. I hope you allow me to make a photographic suggestion. If you go to the store and get a big piece of poster board you can create a sweep to sit your model in and then the photographs (of this wonderful model in particular) will look much better. Hope you continue to share your work with us.

I know I should have used some white poster board but at the time all I had was a big white towel. Yes I will continue to share pics of my builds as time progresses. I have plenty of built models and a wall of unbuilt kits as I know everyone else does too... And the model companies just won't give us a break... They keep coming out with new stuff that we all JUST HAVE TO HAVE...!!!

Very cool Deuce! Looks like a real hot rod should look. Nice job! The spiderweb grille is really a cool touch. Just one suggestion - the roll bar has some kinks in it. I assume it's made from aluminum tubing. That stuff is just about impossible to bend without kinking. I suggest bending one up out of music wire, 1/8" or 3/32" diameter. Still a beautiful model, though!

Sam

Lovely work on this venerable kit.

Good choices made for the details. I like the firewall. The wheels are very nice too.

How about plumbers' solder for the rollbar?

I heard that resin or sand poured into tube can stop it kinking during bending, but I don't know if it works on this scale.

Nice one mate. good work

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Your comments and suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated. I originally built model cars back in the 60's but quit once I discovered girls, cars and bars. Then came marriage and kids... well I'm sure a lot of you know the story... I rediscovered the hobby in the early 90's, joined the LIARS Club (I lived on Long Island at the time) and my building skills slowly improved due to all the positive influences from guys in the club and all the other great modelers I've met over the years while attending various model shows in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic areas. It got way too expensive to live in NY so we moved to western PA (just north of Pittsburgh) about 5 years ago. I used to have a 1:1 1959 Dodge Coronet for about 6 years and learned a little about real cars through keeping that beast on the road. I've always liked Street Rods and Customs from the 50's & 60's and have built some. Additional pictures of some of them will be posted here soon. Stay well all.

cool rodney....and welcome!

another 'background' tip...got any big calendars?? like Wurth, Avon, etc... pretty large piece of white paper that's fairly thick... i'v painted a few, light blue, dusted and fogged black, clearcoat[for reflection], black, you can come up with whatever color background you want!!