Model Cars Magazine Forum

DW410NW

Psychographic

Joe, I try to bend most of the tubing cold. If it's a tight bend, just bend a little bit at a time until I get the bend I want, otherwise it will snap in two. The problem with this is, over time it wants to go back to it's original shape. Usually this is not a problem as most parts get glued to another that will hold it's shape. For bends that are critical to stay were they are, I cold bend them, then use a disposable lighter to give it just enough heat to hold the bend and set the plastic. If I had a lot of bends to do, I would just use a candle for my heat source.

There you go!!!

Those tires look GREAT on the car!!!

Thanks. I think they are getting better,

I ran a bead of .040 half round in the center of each sidewall and the center of the tread, made a a arched squeegee out of some scrap and filled the tread and sidewall with bondo, giving dimension to the tire.

This was only the first pass and it's looking good to me.

PB150412.jpg

PB150413.jpg

You can see the simple block pattern I want to use, I would like to carve the tread, but I don't know how I should do it. I will have to carve the tread out of the body filler, not the styrene.

Any ideas?

Edited by Psychographic

David, you can use any number of methods to groove the tires. Use the edge of a square or triangular mini file, a hand saw, a panel scriber or when all else fails, raze them with the back side of an X-Acto blade.

I can't tell by the pictures, but it looks like the tire warpage has the outside of the tire slightly behind the inside, which is a good thing. However, if that's what you have in mind, you might want to scribe the tread at a slight angle to give that impression, instead of going straight across the face.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the compliments!

I got some more fabrication done and actually stated doing some of the body work.

The tires came out great so far.

PB160418.jpg

I made the lips on the wheels and a Beadlock with a cover for the outside wheel.

What respecting Deal's Wheels doesn't have the induction and exhaust sticking out? I made the injectors by heating 3/16" tubing on the end and shoving a pencil point into it to make the flare. I then reamed out 1/4" tube for the bases. I made them just tall enough to peak through the hood. The exhaust will have to wait until I can get to the store for supplies.

If you notice, I redid the top wing mounts, these work and look much better.

I also started doing the bodywork on the tank.

PB170422.jpg

It was more work than I planned to make the rear tires, but I'm glad I decided to make them, it's adds soooo much to the cartooney look.

PB170423.jpg

This shot really gives you the feeling of the grip the new tires have.

PB170424.jpg

Now I guess I have to make some front tires.

Edited by Psychographic

Thanks everyone.

I finally have the rear suspension and driveline finished! To get the rear cocked and having everything line up was an exercise in patience, that's for sure.

I was going to scrap the idea of the W-Link, but it fell into place in the end. I also made a six piston brake caliper along with a drilled and vented disc. I might add some ribbing on the center section of the quick change.

PB190426.jpg

PB190427.jpg

PB190428.jpg