Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

Hi Rob,

Yeah, you're right. It does look 'kinda spindly up there. I'll add some reinforcing.

Thanks!

Gary

Gary, just tie the front and back mounts together. Place tubes on the sides near the top. It looks like two hoops now which would flex like a mousetrap bail when the gun fires over the cab.

Of course, I am the master of obsession when it comes to realistic details. :blink:

G

Things are looking amazing here!! :)

I've been plugging along on the Mouse Rod .. had to rebuild the front after first attempt broke off but it's better now anyway.

The air intake for the VW engine is about done which is shown in this update. The top scoop is from the Scorpian kit but cut down every which way. The rest is from sheet plastic. The VW fan shroud was also made fatter to accommodate the intake.

IntakeDSC_0627.jpg

IntakeDSC_0629.jpg

IntakeDSC_0632.jpg

IntakeDSC_0633.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Well I have to redo a lot of stuff :(. I was out cuting fire wood today and some of my family stopped by . So I told them id be in in a few mins and totally for got my hummer was on the on the tv stand . To make a long story short my 18 month old nephew decided to play war with it . So now I have a shell and a bunch of parts . I plan to redo it the same way it's gonna be a day or two though . I think my family thought I reacted to harsh though. Oh well.

Edited by hotrod59f100

Man, you guy's are AWESOME!!! All of you have left me in the dust. I have made NO progress on the zombies. All of these temperature changes has got all the metal in my back...all cranked up! For real though, this was my first winter after my fusion surgery, man, what a pain!! I used to think that when someone would say " It's gonna rain/snow tomorrow", " I can feel it in my bones", was a bunch of garbage, huh! was I wrong!!!!!!!! I'll be getting back to the dead soon, supposed to be 50 to 60 around here in the next couple of days. C'mon spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things are looking amazing here!! :)

I've been plugging along on the Mouse Rod .. had to rebuild the front after first attempt broke off but it's better now anyway.

The air intake for the VW engine is about done which is shown in this update. The top scoop is from the Scorpian kit but cut down every which way. The rest is from sheet plastic. The VW fan shroud was also made fatter to accommodate the intake.

IntakeDSC_0627.jpg

IntakeDSC_0629.jpg

IntakeDSC_0632.jpg

IntakeDSC_0633.jpg

Not to be a dick, but that air intake into the cooling system won't accomplish much. The cooling fan runs off the back of the generator, you can't force more air into a fan. Now, if you had the intake going into an airbox that fed the carburators, that woud work.

That's only a 36HP engine, what VW kit is this from? I'm sure you probably mentioned it, but I can't find it. The oldest 1/24 Beetle I can think of is the Gunze Sangyo '56 kit, thought it was a curbside. I'm just rambling now.

Not to be a dick, but that air intake into the cooling system won't accomplish much. The cooling fan runs off the back of the generator, you can't force more air into a fan. Now, if you had the intake going into an airbox that fed the carburators, that woud work.

That's only a 36HP engine, what VW kit is this from? I'm sure you probably mentioned it, but I can't find it. The oldest 1/24 Beetle I can think of is the Gunze Sangyo '56 kit, thought it was a curbside. I'm just rambling now.

Perhaps, but fans only really help precipitate or create air flow. If the speed of the air flowing into the intake exceeds that of the fans, then the air should be forced passed the fans (actually causing them to spin faster I think) and into the cooling structure of the engine. I don't really have a lot of knowledge how air flow intakes work, this is just my understanding of the physics of air and fans. At the very least, the design of that air intake should put the intake area into clean air, reducing contaminants and hot air getting into the engine. I'm curious if you could explain this a little more so that I can understand it better.

Stuck some big "salvaged military" guns on the Equestrian. I think the driver might like to leave the driver's spot before firing, or at least, wear ear muffs.

P1000727-vi.jpg

P1000728-vi.jpg

Current state of the chevy - the random slopping of paint stage! Bigger fuel cell. Still needs more fuel capacity though. Supercharged 421 Pontiac engine with weird intake positioned to suck up minimum road dust, though how well that works will be anyone's guess! Looking at the pulley ratio, the boost is minimal, probably serving only to compensate for restrictive air filters.

P1000729-vi.jpg

heheh .. I don't mind. Jason. I got Zombie fever and wanted to use that intake scoop from the kit and didn't think. Halfway through I came to my senses about what I was doing but it was too late! The engine has twin turbos so maybe I can rig some intake plumbing off the shroud.

The engine is from the Skorpion kit I used for the chassis.

MouseboxDSC_0610.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Perhaps, but fans only really help precipitate or create air flow. If the speed of the air flowing into the intake exceeds that of the fans, then the air should be forced passed the fans (actually causing them to spin faster I think) and into the cooling structure of the engine. I don't really have a lot of knowledge how air flow intakes work, this is just my understanding of the physics of air and fans. At the very least, the design of that air intake should put the intake area into clean air, reducing contaminants and hot air getting into the engine. I'm curious if you could explain this a little more so that I can understand it better.

The cooling fan on VW is driven by the fanbelt which turns the gen/alt. The cooling fan is mounted opposite of the pully on the back of the gen/alt. (except on Type 3 & 4, those are driven off the crankshaft) An intake scoop cannot make it spin faster to cool more, the mechanically driven fan will always spin in relation to the speed of the engine. It would, be a source of clean air, but the intake is usually directly behind the body in a low pressure area, which should be plenty clean in the first place.

heheh .. I don't mind. Jason. I got Zombie fever and wanted to use that intake scoop from the kit and didn't think. Halfway through I came to my senses about what I was doing but it was too late! The engine has twin turbos so maybe I can rig some intake plumbing off the shroud.

The engine is from the Skorpion kit I used for the chassis.

MouseboxDSC_0610.jpg

OK, its all coming back to me :lol:. I've never seen that kit in person before. It looks similar to the Shalako buggy, but with no headlights. Again, not trying to slight your build, the work your doing is great. Just saying an elaborate intake like that would be better suited feeding the intake system, not the cooling system. :)

Edited by Zarana-X

The cooling fan on VW is driven by the fanbelt which turns the gen/alt. The cooling fan is mounted opposite of the pully on the back of the gen/alt. (except on Type 3 & 4, those are driven off the crankshaft) An intake scoop cannot make it spin faster to cool more, the mechanically driven fan will always spin in relation to the speed of the engine. It would, be a source of clean air, but the intake is usually directly behind the body in a low pressure area, which should be plenty clean in the first place.

OK, its all coming back to me :lol:. I've never seen that kit in person before. It looks similar to the Shalako buggy, but with no headlights. Again, not trying to slight your build, the work your doing is great. Just saying an elaborate intake like that would be better suited feeding the intake system, not the cooling system. :)

You ARE right .. not sure I got it across in my first reply but your comments were very much appreciated.

I'm still fudging it.. as any POST APOCALYPSE would. The intake plumbing to the two turbos from the kit looks good and I'm rotating it with a slight extension to feed into the intake shroud I made. Your comments have improved everything! :) I'll post a pic once the modifications are done. Would anyone do this for real .. probably not, but who in their right mind would build any of these in 1:1?