Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

Updates, Updates! Everything is looking good from you guys. Hopefully mine will turn out that good. I need to do some casting for a .50 cal ma duece and such. But this is where I am now. I took the big step and no turnin' back now. The turret looks a little off but is actually centered in the cab. Shaved a bit much off one side so I will need to infill.

0601121901.jpg

0601121902.jpg

0601121903_01.jpg

0601121904_01.jpg

0601121906.jpg

0601122025.jpg

I took the lowboy trailer kit and hacked the center section out which made it perfect lenth. Then I plan to hack apart some of the transformers to build the roof turret section. Got the tires and wheels figured out thanks to Dave at AITM. We also figured cab mounts need raised and possible suspension lift. We'll see.

it appears that the c channel is working well for you, looks great, can't wait to see this truck done.

I'm at a major point in this build .. the finicky engine is finally together! It just got a black wash which needs some q-tip cleanup ant some touch up but I can now move on! :) The sink marks on the carbs really jumps out at ya in these photos but will be more subdued as a whole and gonna just live with them. I originally thought they would end up on the inside. :(

The body is in salt .. decided that will be the look once I decide on a final color . :)

engine90DSC_0684.jpg

engine90DSC_0682.jpg

engine90DSC_0681.jpg

BodyinsaltDSC_0685.jpg

I'd like in in this if it's ok. But I been a little help. What can I use for guns? I'd like a quad 50 or twin minigun but would consider something else. The build would be in 1:25 scale.

You could try to use small gage sprew, and drilling them out, as well as drilling the support structure for the muzzles so as the barrels can easily fit threw, iether that, or you may need to get some small copper pipe, and I mean really small.

You could try to use small gage sprew, and drilling them out, as well as drilling the support structure for the muzzles so as the barrels can easily fit threw, iether that, or you may need to get some small copper pipe, and I mean really small.

Thanks, but I was hoping for something other than scratch building. The only thing I've seen for models is in1:32 I just don't know what's out there for military stuff, it could even be from a toy.

I'm loving the look of that "boiler" inserted into the cab!

Said Boiler look I thought looked cool but it will be converted into a twin .50 remote turret. I have a single .50 from an Army Jeep so I was going to try and cast it which maybe we could get some one to repop it. Problem is is I am limited on funds so it might be a while. Just took a big hit in the money dept. :(

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Said Boiler look I thought looked cool but it will be converted into a twin .50 remote turret. I have a single .50 from an Army Jeep so I was going to try and cast it which maybe we could get some one to repop it. Problem is is I am limited on funds so it might be a while. Just took a big hit in the money dept. :(

That idea sounds perfect for it.

I started on The Collector.

Man this model is a bit tough. I got the suspension set up and front axle installed. I need to work on the rear suspension and finish the rest of the chassis.

Then comes the scratch building on the upper hull, and the real fun begins!

Thats where I am Mark. I got the basics now but a lot of scratching upp to do. Got alot of casting too. I figure each gun I get done I will just cast the parts for the other. Got 2x30mm Vulcans, 2x M123 Miniguns and 2x20 mm bushmaster chain guns and one more .50 cal to build. Plus pedestals and turrets for all of them. What I am working on now? Carving out the doors. Got 8 hours in this one:

0604121224.jpg

I found for reference for anyone, cutting doors and such is easier with a pic then a knife in resin any how. It doesn't slip out of the groove like a knife.

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Thanks, but I was hoping for something other than scratch building. The only thing I've seen for models is in1:32 I just don't know what's out there for military stuff, it could even be from a toy.

http://militarymodels.co.nz/2010/05/11/kit-review-tamiya-u-s-infantry-weapons-set/ these aren't bad.

50 cal, scale wise, in 1:24 is a 34 cal which is close enough to a 30 cal. Hey and if you chop the handle off the big gun it LOOKS like the smaller one :-). In the fantasy world that is the TZH ... er I think it's fantasy anyway. Some of the other weapons in that set look about right too.

Also check out World Peacekeepers toys.

Peacekeeper toys are mostly 1:18th. (bought my grandson the half track so he knew what his great grandpa drove in the great war WW2). GI JOE is 1:18th.

Here is what I found in 24TH and 25th:

Jeep with .50

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT6351

1:24 scale detail kit with .50

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED35682

Landrover with M60? or maybe a brit gun

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IT6353

RC Tanks'

http://www.wartoyz.com/page/WT/CTGY/FOV-RC24

Doc. May not be able to make our build date. My cash just went to next to nothin'. Most stuff I can fab and cast but not sure what to do for the wheels. I'll try and get it done by the first date and hopefully by the second date for sure. I may just see if I can cast my own wheels.

''The last Girlscouts''

This is how I'm going to deal with all those terrible zombies, when they come crawling from all corners of the world. :o

I've bee thinking (dangerous thing to do :lol: ) about making a vehicle that has some lines from the wwII era crossed with some big off-road tires like the rock-crawler guys use and cutting a lot of the original body of, to get it more practical in all sorts of terrain - kind of like the baja-bugs.

Who needs a front that keep digging in to the dirt, when it goes over some off-road terrain? - simply cut it of!! who needs the rearend digging in, just when you're about to get thru the final ditch with hordes of zombies in your tail ?? simply cut it of !! Etc

Heres some prebuild photos of cutting of whats not necessary anymore:post-9320-0-82832000-1339020638_thumb.jp

More details on this build soon, as I have chopped it and chopped of all the shaded areas.

Later.

Bjarne

Edited by spacemanvw

''The last Girlscouts''

Its a some time ago I started this build, so here is some progress pictures on the build.

I have no pics of the chopping of the car, got carried away I guess and forgot to take pics, but here is some of the painting, i want it to look old and used, so I started by painting it in different brown colors and added some dark at the bottom and along the fenders etc and ended up adding som orange and yellow to make it look rusty. Now I have added some salt to it and it is ready to get a top-paint, but still not shure what color or colors it will be ??post-9320-0-63533500-1339027252_thumb.jppost-9320-0-24280300-1339027266_thumb.jppost-9320-0-59669100-1339027275_thumb.jppost-9320-0-68546200-1339027285_thumb.jp

As you can see it will become rusty old build, that once was chopped and cut, but now is used as a toothless zombie hunter car.

Later

Bjarne

Updates, Updates! Everything is looking good from you guys. Hopefully mine will turn out that good. I need to do some casting for a .50 cal ma duece and such. But this is where I am now. I took the big step and no turnin' back now. The turret looks a little off but is actually centered in the cab. Shaved a bit much off one side so I will need to infill.

0601121901.jpg

0601121902.jpg

0601121903_01.jpg

0601121904_01.jpg

0601121906.jpg

0601122025.jpg

I took the lowboy trailer kit and hacked the center section out which made it perfect lenth. Then I plan to hack apart some of the transformers to build the roof turret section. Got the tires and wheels figured out thanks to Dave at AITM. We also figured cab mounts need raised and possible suspension lift. We'll see.

WOW - That truck looks so cool and frigthening that I would retire if I was a zombie :o Just love the style of your build :wub: .

Keep it comming please.

Bjarne

I love fastbacks and I saw yours still IS one, Bjarne, no matter how much back it's lost! :) I really like how it's looking.. !

Thanks ! he he B) .. no there isnt much left of the back .. or the front for that matter.

Im crazy about fastbacks too.

Bjarne

Well, I haven't forgotten about this one. I had to set my project aside for a bit while I concentrated on other pressing issues but now I am back at it.

I was able to start on the weathering techniques just a bit. I am really pleased with the rusting effect. I still have to finish painting the turret and adding some weathering to it. I am also working on the interior with some onboard electronics for tracking zombies and getting the pilot of the Zombie Cruiser in paint and ready to take the wheel.

Stay tuned for more updates as I get more work done this weekend.

DSC00459-vi.jpg

DSC00461-vi.jpg

DSC00462-vi.jpg

DSC00463-vi.jpg

DSC00464-vi.jpg

Well, I haven't forgotten about this one. I had to set my project aside for a bit while I concentrated on other pressing issues but now I am back at it.

I was able to start on the weathering techniques just a bit. I am really pleased with the rusting effect. I still have to finish painting the turret and adding some weathering to it. I am also working on the interior with some onboard electronics for tracking zombies and getting the pilot of the Zombie Cruiser in paint and ready to take the wheel.

Stay tuned for more updates as I get more work done this weekend

DSC00464-vi.jpg

That is truly awesome love the pitted effect on the edges of the plow!