Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

Justin:

How are you doing your weld beads? What technique? They look great.

Hey, Jim

Thanks. I rolled out milliput into thin, < 1mm, worms (thinner the better but with milliput you get a lot of time to experiment). Track them along the joint and press them down until they hold and then take a toothpick with one point chopped off and press it into putty to make the pattern alternating between blunt and pointy depending on what makes it look right. It helps to keep the toothpick wet so that it doesn't stick to the millliput and pull it off the model. Any epoxy putty with a decent working time would work just as well I reckon.

Hey, Jim

Thanks. I rolled out milliput into thin, < 1mm, worms (thinner the better but with milliput you get a lot of time to experiment). Track them along the joint and press them down until they hold and then take a toothpick with one point chopped off and press it into putty to make the pattern alternating between blunt and pointy depending on what makes it look right. It helps to keep the toothpick wet so that it doesn't stick to the millliput and pull it off the model. Any epoxy putty with a decent working time would work just as well I reckon.

OK ! Thanks for your help. I'll try it with some putty.........

It's been 6 months since I signed on for this and I'm finally ready to attack this thing. This is going to be a trading vehicle: a truck loaded with supplies, parts, weapons, and other assorted junk that travels the zombie infested wastelands searching for encampments of survivors to barter with. It's battle scarred - from it's past life as a farm truck, present use as zombie "crowd control," and persistent abuse from dead fists pounding to get at the driver inside.

So far, I've started on the dents and scrapes. I drilled two shotgun blasts - one through the passenger door and one through the roof - where the driver had to defend himself from inside the truck. It's hard to get a walker off the roof and focus on your driving at the same time.

From the beginning, I knew I wanted a minigun and it needed to be accessible to the driver. Below is where I am in the build.

6tEpb.jpgE8voJ.jpgJmBpt.jpg

Okay I got some time to some building today. More work on the skins for my ATRV. BTW gang, if you have friends that build and play Warhammer of other similar table top games, you might want to raid their parts bins.

2012-06-12124633.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Here are a few more small updates.

I added the brackets for some small tools that are mounted on the sides. These will eventually be weathered to blend in with everything else. Next is the ammo belt being fed into the gun. I stretched a piece of electrical tape out on the workbench, upside down and taped down each end to hold it in place then cut small pieces of styrene rod along the tape and when I had enough length glued the belt in to place.

The final update was to create the ladder to the turret opening. I also added the antenna. All of these items will be weathered to blend them in as well.

DSC00481-vi.jpg

DSC00482-vi.jpg

DSC00483-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

I'm done on this one ... the gun is in place but it fought me to the end. I finally cut the air cooling hose as it was too stiff in kept breaking the glue bond. All in all the look of the gun pleases me, so that's all that matters. :)

Here's a few final shots and more will be in the Under Glass shots as this is my first completion in 20 years! :)

FinalMouseRodDSC_0717.jpg

FinalMouseRodDSC_0729.jpg

FinalMouseRodDSC_0725.jpg

FinalMouseRodDSC_0719.jpg

FinalMouseRodDSC_0726.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Well first of all I would liek to say EXCELLENT builds and cudos to all. I am new here and actually stumbled across this forum just today. I am very interested in this contest and I had a question. have read all the rules but what if some has already chosen the "base" model for the build, say a 1980 Ford Bronc, does that matter? Anyway great work and look forward to seeing more builds!