Model Cars Magazine Forum

The lonestar is .....

Come on guys! This is terrible to keep on griping and complaining about this truck.This is the second thread I have seen on this topic. Let Moebius do their thing. If you do not like the Lonestar thats fine simply don't buy it! They may eventually get a arround to making a truck that is more to your liking however by nagging and complaining constantly may cause them not to. If you bought one and your dissappointed just chalk it up as a learning experience and make the best of it. Lets put the big boy pants on and support Moebius to issue more truck for us. And what i mean by support is stop trash talk!

Thanks

Come on guys! This is terrible to keep on griping and complaining about this truck.This is the second thread I have seen on this topic. Let Moebius do their thing. If you do not like the Lonestar thats fine simply don't buy it! They may eventually get a arround to making a truck that is more to your liking however by nagging and complaining constantly may cause them not to. If you bought one and your dissappointed just chalk it up as a learning experience and make the best of it. Lets put the big boy pants on and support Moebius to issue more truck for us. And what i mean by support is stop trash talk!

Thanks

Truckman,

I agree with you! I am looking forward to the Prostar release later this year! While the Lonestar is not really my cup of tea, Moebius and Dave have been VERY responsive with the Lonestar issues and concerns. I may still buy a Lonestar to support Moebius' efforts. Just my two cents...

first put the instuctions in the trash get some reff pics and then start..the only issue i had was hood fit..i shaved the cab mounts and file the hood hindge.. final product not bad.morestar003.jpgmorestar001.jpg

DSCN3006.jpg

Fantastic job on the Lonestar and the trailer! What brand of paint and color did you use for the green? I have a '63 Chevy Stepside in the works and that is the color I have in mind for it. Thanks

the moebius lonestar is........................... a highly detailed kit with great parts for working with late model international. i have one on the bench and im impressed with the detail and clean parts on the trees. they nailed it with this kit and i am looking forward to getting a few of the great danes and a prostar when they come available :):DB)

hey roy 1964, if you think the lonestar is a pos oversized pt cruzer, why did u buy it,lol. ive built two of them and they look ok, dont blame moebius if you dont know how to build it.... :lol:

Hey Mike, I didn't buy one,But I have been through several at shows and have friends who made the "Mistake" of buying them...As I stated earlier in this thread...I wouldn't have one if it was FREE!!! My building skills are not in question here, However my skills are too good to waste on the Lonestar !! Maybe someday when Moebius "Fixes" the shortcomings of this overpriced,under developed kit...I would buy one!! Until then...I'm not throwing My money away!!! Just Sayin'....

Ok time to stop beating a dead horse here. A few people don't like the Lonestar that's fine. But most people do like it. I've built nearly every truck model available in all scales since I started building in 1970. The Lonestar is not junk, it like all kits has some quirks but it is certainly not junk. May be we should go back to the late 80s early 90s when the model companies forgot truck modelers. We were lucky to have 3 kits available and 0 trailers. Many turned to european trucks thanks to Italeri. I suspect there is an underlying issue of dislike for Dave or the real Lonestar. Overall the Lonestar is one of the best kits to date. The few of you who don't like it don't have to buy it. If it was really a bad kit the majority would not be praising it. The name of this thread was modified because it's time to move on. Perhaps it's time to close this thread.

I haven't built a Lonestar yet but I did buy a couple of them. I embrace all new truck kits. At least this is not like the Italeri Volvo VN kits. I rushed out to get one only to find out its a curbside and cost as much as a full detail kit. None the less I built it for a hobbyshop display and it helped them sell a few of these kits even when it was explained to them that it was a curbside. If you want a real challenge try buying a built up model from Ebay and try to disassemble it, correct all the mistakes the original builder made and scratchbuild any missing or broken parts that you can't find in your parts box and put it all back together without instructions. If some of you are old enough to remember some of the original AMT truck kit instructions, they were pretty vague on the placement of parts and some parts needed a lot of sanding and putty to get them to fit right. For those who still want to gripe about this kit go right ahead, any fuss good or bad will definitely keep the interest up on the Lonestar and yet to be released Prostar kit.

Thanks Dave and keep them coming!!!

I have watch this thread now for quite a while and have made a few observations, there seems to be some people in this world that never could be happy with anything,and others that there life is so boring that they need confrontation or attention to help there mundane life pass by,

There are a lot of excellent builds of the lonestar just on this site alone, with 99% of them happy with the kit, others can build a excellent model even without the instructions (Tim) as well as the test builds that have been shown here also, and the major complaint is a few mistakes, wow, life is complicated for the few or maybe some just can't test fit and work out that the parts don't fit

Moebius is the only model producing company that actually commits to a model with the detail and vision that should be present in the model industry, compare a Italeri kit with this and look at the difference, but most seem happy with an Italeri kit or any other for that matter, happy with re pop of something that is so far out of date or so inaccurate (bring back the blue print series)

Here is something that IS up to date, and has all the detail as well as so much potential as a donor kit for scratch built cabs or a base for a resin conversion but the negative can't see a positive

Moebius have a great vision for the future, with more planned for us truck model builders, and as each kit is produced, they will get better and better, and the subject will also, They also have gambled a lot of money in a economy that is less than ideal, so what ever your view is, it is better to support someone that listen's to a model builder than a company that has never seen a truck that they produce a kit for

Every kit has faults, no matter what the subject, or scale, someone will find a fault with it, and that doesn't matter if the kit was $5 or $500

You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar

Well said Anthony, the real Lonestar is a love it or hate it truck. But if you read the interview with Dave this month in Model Cars magizine he says the upcoming Prostar was part of the plan all along since the Prostar and Lonestar share many components making tooling much easier for additional releases. There are many other Navistar trucks possible with these basic parts including the new Caterpillar vocational trucks built by Navistar. Hint hint.

I would guess that the hate for the kit has to do with not liking the truck , I am not a big fan of the truck, but I got the kit, yes it was kind of a pain to build with the way the instructions were done, but when past that, its a very nice kit. I can not understand why people ask for a newer truck kit , then when one is made, they complain about it. I would rather have a new kit, then I repop of a kit that was done 20 or more years ago. Its like watching the same rerun of a TV show, it gets old fast.

I am looking forward to the Prostar, it is a truck we see on the roads alot more then the Lonestar, I am going to get atleast one. I am greatful that we have a company doing newer truck kits, and I will support them as long as they do. I look at it this way, if we support Moebius on the lonestar and prostar, they may continue to give us newer truck kits of other subjects .

I hope they do a Mack after the Prostar. I have two Lonestars, built one box stock plan to customize the next one. I reckon a Mack Titan or Mack Granite from Moebius next. How about it Dave. I am happy with the way the Lonestar turned out in the end. Take into account it was their first automotive product and a complex one at that. The Hudson Hornet is great also. Just my two cents. Ben

There are many other Navistar trucks possible with these basic parts including the new Caterpillar vocational trucks built by Navistar. Hint hint.

You HAD to bring up the Cat trucks, didn't ya? :lol:

I'd be up for one of those, or even an aftermarket transkit for the Lonestar. That is, if I don't try making my own first. ;)

I don't have the Lonestar, but I wouldn't mind having a go with it. As for the so-called aweful instructions, how about someone show a photo or three? A picture is worth a thousand words, goes the old saying. I am currently building the Hudson from Moebius, so I would like to compare instruction styles.

Clearly some use the Prostar/Lonestar cab and some use the 9000i cab sure would be neat subjects. As far as the old trucks I enjoy vintage trucks as well so Round 2 keep them old amt/ertl releases coming. It's a great time for truck modelers, Round 2 for vintage trucks Moebius for modern stuff and Italeri and R of G for Euro and Ausie stuff