Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stashing away vintage kits

That sounds about right, I have vintage kits I'll never build, but they are for selling or trading for kits I WILL build. I do have a Jo-Han '64 Petty, so far I only look at it now & then. its not That collectible perhaps. But I will build it or trade it eventually

Interesting question. I buy to build but recently I got a great deal on a vintage kit that's worth about three times what I payed. It's mint sealed but I still have buyers remorse. I can't seem to justify (in my mind) paying more than $40 for something i'm going to build. There may be a rare exception out there, but I prefer to spend the extra cash on supplies for my builds. In other words, I only stash away what I plan to build.

I'm with you there, I bought a '72 Pinto a few years ago for a fairly decent price and it WAS sealed but, I am going to build it one day...

Here's the kit in question. 1976?

IMG_1818.jpg I'm actually thinking of listing it as a buy it now, then I can get the model king version and a set of aftermarket decals. I would feel better about building it then. :D

I built that when it was new and still have it. Body moulded in blue, a few decals have peeled a bit in spots. The body snap fits to the cahssis so you can display the chassis.

While I'd love to build another, instead I do keep a look out for the Model King Laguna S3 so I can build a different version.

Edited by Tony T

Like many here have already stated, I buy to build. Last year I found an old AMT '64 Pontiac Bonneville convertible kit at NNL West I simply had to have. Rare kit and consequently, not cheap, but as we hear often, "My dad had one and I needed to build a replica of his car." I bought it and have every intention of building it. NO STASHING HERE!

Every kit I buy is bought with the intent of being built or, for casting. I once had a fella refuse to sell me a 68 Galaxie because I was gonna build it (what a dweeb)

I will pick up vintage stuff from time to time on the cheap that I do not want to build with the intent of trading it off though.

After 50 years of building I find I've become a collector too. It kind of snuck up on me, and now I'll even buy an empty box if it pushes my nostalgia button. I actually have the nicest boxes in the display cabinet with my built models.

Recently I bought the original (1962?) Monogram 36 Ford, MIB for $24 on US Ebay. This is the kit that really started my obsession when I was 13 and the pristine, unassembled parts, the instructions and the box itself are a joy to own again. I'll resist the urge to build it by building the latest re-issue instead. It's identical except that, like every other re-issue of this kit, it doesn't have stock wheels, tyres or hubcaps. But those from the Revell 37 Ford pickup are a great substitute.

I had a friend give me a box of kits (built and unbuilt) his son had as a kid. In there was a mint Johan 64 Cadillac worth around $100 bucks, I plan on building it. Models are meant to be built. I'll never live long enough to build all the kits I have,but my son said he'll try. :D

At a swap meet in Milwaukee about 12 years ago I ran across a MPC Jeep kit from the '60s that was a 3 in 1 kit that I had wanted for a long time. The kit was open but complete and I got it for $25. I have every intention of building it but have thought about having some of the pieces resin casted first as they have not been in any of the re-issues since then. Since getting back into the hobby 20 years ago, it is the only "vintage" kit I have bought, although some of the kits I have probably have become vintage due to my slow building speed.

I have yet to buy a kit only to hold on to it in hopes it becomes a collectors item. I am more likely to buy a kit for parts or trading than collecting.

I've only got 1 that I will probably never build. 1/4 scale working chassis by Renwal. It's designed to accept their working V8 engine of the same vintage. I did build the engine as a kid, made a mess of all the clear block parts but it did turn under battery power.

SAM_1275.jpg

I picked it up at a yard sale maybe 20+ years ago and have carted it through my moves. The box is a little worn but everything inside is there in the original bags. There's an awful lot of nuts & bolts! I have seen it on a couple of sites for over $1,000 although I don't know who would pay that much. I will probably never build it because where would I put it?!

I've only got 1 that I will probably never build. 1/4 scale working chassis by Renwal. It's designed to accept their working V8 engine of the same vintage. I did build the engine as a kid, made a mess of all the clear block parts but it did turn under battery power.

SAM_1275.jpg

I picked it up at a yard sale maybe 20+ years ago and have carted it through my moves. The box is a little worn but everything inside is there in the original bags. There's an awful lot of nuts & bolts! I have seen it on a couple of sites for over $1,000 although I don't know who would pay that much. I will probably never build it because where would I put it?!

That's really cool, thanks for sharing that. I would have a hard time not tearing into that one !

I have a problem - I like to build and tinker and look...when I get kits I open them, loll through the parts, test fit some stuff (lose some stuff), pull stuff out for other projects - you get the idea. I bought a rare sealed kit with the intention of reselling it but I HAD to open it first - probably knocked a little off the selling price, but whatever.

I have a few vintage/rare kits and of I don't plan on building or raiding them, I sell them. One thing I find interesting is everybody thinks the kit they have is worth X dollars (usually the highest buy it now price on eBay) but are flabbergasted when another person wants X amount for their kit - human nature I guess.