Model Cars Magazine Forum

To build or not, that is the question.

It was mentioned in a post below ("57 Nomad) that the rareity of a kit (any kit) may preclude the building of said kit. "I might want to hold onto it" being questioned as to why. My answer, "till later". Untill I hone my skills, untill I decied how I want to build it. untill I do a little research on the kit or the actual car.

I think there can be many answers to that question. I have many kits I have "put aside" just to admire them, to look at them ocassionally. I think there can be more than one facet to this hobby. You just want to build kits? Fine, more power to you. I however enjoy the research, gathering of parts, information,kits,and yes, just collecting.

So if you must question WHY I might save a certain kit as opposed to build it the minute I get it home, you build your way I'll build, collect, ponder, enjoy, store,horde,open,cut parts from trees, play with, save for a rainy day. etc. etc.

Edited by Greg Myers

I also support the theory of "live long, build them all". Kits are meant to be built and there is a fraction of "collectors" out there, that collect sealed mint boxes. They never even open them "to admire". Er, they collect box art, not models. Just to prove my feelings about the issue, I am building the very old and very rare Pink Panther show car from Doyusha.

You can still collect all the parts and do all the research and admire your model when built, or otherwise it is just a pile of plastic that does not even look like anything to admire.

(darn, I should have put my flame suit before I wrote this)

I agree with the old saying, "A kit is meant to be built"... but I also realize that there are some kits out there that are so rare and pricey that it might actually be a better idea to hold on to them in unbuilt form.

Aha, yes, as an investment. I would not mind selling or trading a valuable kit for something I am desperately in need of . . . etc . . .

I buy Pocher kits. They're rare (they're not making any more of them!), and especially so in sealed, "never opened" form. I guess they can only go up in value if they're still sealed, but I've never bought one with the idea that I would save it as an "investment." I suppose I could have done that...and probably seen them go up in value... but I cracked them open and built them (or, to be exact, built some of them... some are still "in progress").

But even though I personally will build them, I don't have a problem with people why buy kits as investments, with no intention to ever build them. It's a perfectly legitimate thing to do as far as I'm concerned... if that's how they want to enjoy their model kits, more power to 'em! But it's just not the way I would do it.

I agree with the last statement, but buying anything out there, be it kits, paintings, shoes, cars......for investment and to enjoy it are two completely different things.

Of course I am fine with anything anyone wants to do. Their life, their money and their right to do whatever they want with it. This however does not mean I can understand it or agree with it. But as they say - to each their own.

To me personally buying a model and keeping it sealed in its box "to admire" is the same as to be married to a supermodel and never undressing her and going to bed. Oh, I'll just admire her in her swet pants at the kitchen table at breakfast time........to heck with that! I ripped the fruit and now I want to eat it! LOL :lol:

By the way, I have some Pochers too and I built them also. I believe the black F40 with the gold rims, that was made in 1000 pieces for the german market was selling on e-bay for a little over $4000 sealed right about the time I was admiring the crappy paintjob its body came with.

Edited by mrm

It was mentioned in a post below ("57 Nomad) that the rareity of a kit (any kit) may preclude the building of said kit. "I might want to hold onto it" being questioned as to why. My answer, "till later". Untill I hone my skills, untill I decied how I want to build it. untill I do a little research on the kit or the actual car.

I think there can be many answers to that question. I have many kits I have "put aside" just to admire them, to look at them ocassionally. I think there can be more than one facet to this hobby. You just want to build kits? Fine, more power to you. I however enjoy the research, gathering of parts, information,kits,and yes, just collecting.

So if you must question WHY I might save a certain kit as opposed to build it the minute I get it home, you build your way I'll build, collect, ponder, enjoy, store,horde,open,cut parts from trees, play with, save for a rainy day. etc. etc.

I pretty much fall into this category. It starts with buying two of each kit in case I mess up. Then, I spend a huge amount of time doing the research, some of which, such as the Mercedes Gullwing and Jag E-Type, fills 3-4 CD-ROMS each. Without actually getting around to finishing a build, this is essentially my joy in the hobby. When I need to auction my stash down the road, including that research material might be helpful in getting more for a kit, but no guarantees. And I occasionally buy extra kits of the same cars when I see a deal. But unless you're pretty sure what a rare kit is worth, I can't think of a more unreliable investment than collecting model kits to sell later. You've probably seen the 1/16 MPC General Lee kits plummet in asking prices on eBay after the reissue came out.

Edited by sjordan2

#1 None of us will live long enough to build everything in our stash.

#2 In the original post on the '57 Nomad kit and the begining of this thread nothing was mentioned about saving a kit for investment. The point being, there are other reasons to NOT build a kit.(See #1)

#3 I fall in with Skip. If its a really great kit I like to have more than one.

#4 Now there's an idea, more than one so if you really like it you can build more.

Edited by Greg Myers

I guess I've never looked at models as something to collect. I do collect some die cast, but its blister packed and I can see it just fine in the package. I cant stand to wonder whats in a kit, even if I've already built one, or a reissue. I have to open it and "looker over". That doesnt meen its getting built right away, but some day....right? But this reminds me of the "guy" that wont sell a car thats been rusting away in his drive way for 20 years because someday its going to be "worth something"...not saying it wont be, but they they just wernt ment for that kind of life. I would rather see something built wrong, then not at all..real or plastic.

I always try to buy models, at least two at a time. One to build and one to stash away. I stash them away for many reasons. First, I really enjoy having a mint, sealed kit that has long been out of production. Just knowing that a lot of people want it and I have one that's never been opened is part of the fun for me. I also stash them away for my son. He's twelve now and when I pass, they're all his. He can either build them or possibly get rich selling them. The kits I have stashed away do still have the possibility of being built or used for parts. It just depends on how bad I need them or if I can no longer get that kit.

#1 None of us will live long enough to build everything in our stash.

#2 In the original post on the '57 Nomad kit and the begining of this thread nothing was mentioned about saving a kit for investment. The point being, there are other reasons to NOT build a kit.(See #1)

#3 I fall in with Skip. If its a really great kit I like to have more than one.

#4 Now there's an idea, more than one so if you really like it you can build more.

#1 None of us will live long enough to build everything in our stash? That is the sad truth my friends.

I build them, or part them out for other projects. I do like the fact that some people do hang onto them in unbuilt form... otherwise, how would there be anything like Dennis Doty's columns on the old Hubley (or any other manufacturer's) kits? It's just for me, personally, I'm not into collecting them just to have, or as investments.

If every model kit which was ever issued was built, all we would have to build are new kits and built-ups to re-do. No thank you.

I don't really think it matters what you do with a kit once it's yours. There's enough room in this hobby for collectors, builders, hoarders, and flippers that we can all do what we like, and still have respect for what someone else chooses to do with the same kit.

If every model kit which was ever issued was built, all we would have to build are new kits and built-ups to re-do. No thank you.

I don't really think it matters what you do with a kit once it's yours. There's enough room in this hobby for collectors, builders, hoarders, and flippers that we can all do what we like, and still have respect for what someone else chooses to do with the same kit.

What does matter is that no matter what is being done with the kit, it had to be bought first at some point which leads to more kits being offered.