Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya....lets get it right.

Guest Sickfish

5 pages of replies on pronunciation, really?? Man some of you guys need a life... This is a model car forum, right?

Let's put things in perspective here.. A guy work's his arse off on a build, post's it up & maybe get's 2-3 replies/comments.... Some other guy post's a thread " how do you say Tamiya?" & this gets 5 pages???

It's becoming a joke around here...

5 pages of replies on pronunciation, really?? Man some of you guys need a life... This is a model car forum, right?

Let's put things in perspective here.. A guy work's his arse off on a build, post's it up & maybe get's 2-3 replies/comments.... Some other guy post's a thread " how do you say Tamiya?" & this gets 5 pages???

So thanks for being a part of the joke... ;)

Dang. That knowledge thing always gets in the way.

Guest Sickfish

Best you could come up with Harry? Not only has this forum become a joke, you're the head clown.

Please do me a favour, delete my account. I can get my laughs elsewhere.

Edited by Sickfish

Wow.....all thats missing now is something about the Dukes Of Hazzard. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight on not only the proper pronounciation of Tamiya (tah-me-a), but a whole lot of other things too....like Willis and Bruick. I once owned a Chevrolet Citation that I pronounced "sit-u-a-shun", because thats what it was.

• A Japanese sushi chef once told me that you're always safe in pronouncing Japanese words if you never emphasize any individual syllable. Just use a flat monotone.

Oh, I know this one!!! In Georgia, "Sushi" is pronounced "bait"........

I think you guys misunderstood about Buick. I've never heard anyone say "Bruick", which does sound like too much tequila, but I have heard folks say "Burick" (boorick). I don't know why, but it almost sounds right to me! ;)

Waaay back, when I would watch Na$car, they would interview one of the Burton bros, I believe it was Ward. Yes, I believe I can picture him pronouncing "Burick." :wacko:

• My survey of Japanese modeling videos seems to indicate that the normal pronunciation of Tamiya is TAHM-YAH, with the 'i' not pronounced at all.

You should let the Tamiya family know ... they've been mispronouncing their own name for a long, long time. :lol:

Wow.....all thats missing now is something about the Dukes Of Hazzard.

Oh, I know this one!!! In Georgia, "Sushi" is pronounced "bait"........

Dukes of Hazzard is pronounced 'Pee yooks of Hah zarred' ... if it has to be pronounced at all.

And, you're right about the correct pronounciation of 'Sushi.' But it's more universal than just Georgia.

BTW - 'Byurrrick' is a much more common pronounciation than Harry might think ... it's a dialect thing.

B)

And who forced YOU to read it?

How about Jo-Han or Johan as in The Directory of Model Car Kits price guide by Bill Coulter And Bob Shelton ?

It was Jo-Han (that's how the name appeared on the boxes) until Okey Spaulding bought what was left of the company from Seville and renamed the company JoHan Models LLC.

Comb, Home...

Then you have One & Won. Two & To.

One looks like it should be pronounced Own like in Tone. And Two doesn't even need it's W...

Mark - you left one(or is the won) out. It is to,too, and two. Tomb - toom comb - coom? and wear or where.....?

A big thanks to all who remind us of our regional differances! We are indeed a people united but separated by a common language. By the way Nate - Fahd is the stuff that gets into jet engines and screws them up. (inside joke for aviators!)

Oh, and by the way I never heard it pronounce Willis. I learned to drive in a CJ-2A and Dad always called it a Willees. I guess that is a Nebraska thing.

Edited by Pete J.

How about Jo-Han or Johan as in The Directory of Model Car Kits price guide by Bill Coulter And Bob Shelton ?

Like Harry mentioned, it has changed from being hyphenated to one word over the years.

Here's an original-artwork '60's Fire Ambulance

038_38-vi.jpg

For a time they had a somewhat cutesly logo, with a narrow whitewall tire for an 'O'...

IMG_32961-vi.jpg

And finally, it was done as one word, with no hyphen, in all caps, during the Okey Spaulding years...

kits2003-vi.jpg

So... long story short, I suppose whether you spell it with or without the hyphen depends on when the kit you are reffering to was manufactured. B)