Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best place to get resin promod parts and motor parts

Well I wouldn't consider flashpoint stuff to be accurate or best quality by any means, because the stuff is not accurate, but that is me. I would rather send you to the TDR/shapeways site. They are quality stuff and very accurate scale reproduction parts!

What is that Bart?

What is that Bart?

Sorry what is the question? Are you asking what parts? For starters the mocked BAE block, heads the bell housing and the lenco tranny. If they were cast from one of the 1/16 diecast that may be the problem to begin with. Don't get me wrong the parts look the part and will work for what most will want them for.

But if someone is looking for accurate scale parts, they may want to look elsewhere.

Sorry what is the question? Are you asking what parts? For starters the mocked BAE block, heads the bell housing and the lenco tranny. If they were cast from one of the 1/16 diecast that may be the problem to begin with. Don't get me wrong the parts look the part and will work for what most will want them for.

But if someone is looking for accurate scale parts, they may want to look elsewhere.

I was asking what TDR/Shapeways was but I did a search and found the site. Thanks.

I was asking what TDR/Shapeways was but I did a search and found the site. Thanks.

Sorry about that... For anyone else interested.

https://sites.google.com/site/tdrinnovations/

Shortly they will even have a scale 69 Chevy Camaro pro mod in scales ranging from 1/43 all the way up to 1/8"..

Edited by eviltwincustoms

TRD/Shapeways is the better stuff , its a little more expesive but it is more accurate, I just purchased the 1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod Body from them. Costly?? yes ,...Worth it?? we'll see when it gets here.....But i will say that the other things i have purchased from them was well worth the money i spent. Whereas most of the parts i purchased from Flashpoint went un-used.

I checked out the TDR site, only 1 Pro-Mod body in 1/25th,only 1 body listed under drag racing, and I didn't see anything for 1/25th scale engines or parts.

That is correct, they do make parts in 1/24 and 1/25 scale, but they cater to the larger crowd. As for the 1 Pro Mod body, that will be the most accurate body out right now... Any of the other sites that produce Pro Mod bodies, they are not accurate by any means. If you see something in the larger scale and they don't have it in just send TIM an email and I am sure if it is possible they will scale the part down to 1/24th for you.

TRD?Shapeways is the better stuff , its a little more expesive but it is more accurate, I just purchased the 1/16th 69 Camaro ProMod Body from them. Costly?? yes ,...Worth it?? we'll see when it gets here.....But i will say that the other things i have purchased from them was well worth the money i spent. Whereas most of the parts i purchased from Flashpoint went un-used.

I am also one that just purchased the 1/16th body, it may be expensive but it will be well worth the price knowing it is true to scale and an accurate reproduction of today's Pro Mod bodies.

As for what Rom stated about the Flashpoint parts... I am right there with him. I have many parts from them, that are now sitting in a box unused due to not being accurately scaled or due to poor resin quality.

That is correct, they do make parts in 1/24 and 1/25 scale, but they cater to the larger crowd. As for the 1 Pro Mod body, that will be the most accurate body out right now... Any of the other sites that produce Pro Mod bodies, they are not accurate by any means. If you see something in the larger scale and they don't have it in just send TIM an email and I am sure if it is possible they will scale the part down to 1/24th for you.

Bart, you are rather quick to dismiss any other bodies of not being accurate. Even though what I see with the one available body from TDR and it's superb level of accuracy I must say that even though TEM is no longer in business I took great pride (and time) to ensure that any body I created as a replica of a real body was as acurate as possible.

I have to agree that most of the bodies that Flashpoint has created miss the boat to a certain degree. They do have some phantom bodies that don't have any measureable data to compare to but the bodies that they claim mimic this builder or that builder do fall short in accuracy. That being said, they are the only mass producer of resin bodies and will continue to sell their product until someone better comes along.

By the way, what is the going rate of the TDR 69 Camaro, as I couldn't find any pricing info. on their website?

Bart, you are rather quick to dismiss any other bodies of not being accurate. Even though what I see with the one available body from TDR and it's superb level of accuracy I must say that even though TEM is no longer in business I took great pride (and time) to ensure that any body I created as a replica of a real body was as acurate as possible.

I have to agree that most of the bodies that Flashpoint has created miss the boat to a certain degree. They do have some phantom bodies that don't have any measureable data to compare to but the bodies that they claim mimic this builder or that builder do fall short in accuracy. That being said, they are the only mass producer of resin bodies and will continue to sell their product until someone better comes along.

By the way, what is the going rate of the TDR 69 Camaro, as I couldn't find any pricing info. on their website?

Wayne you are correct, TEM did sell/make bodies due to you doing the hard work. It was my understanding that the thread had to do with Current sites with Resin Parts/Bodies available, so I would think this would immediately remove TEM from this equation. I like many others have fallen to the health issues that Chris is faced with and have paid for product and been without for over a year. I was one of many that had a Pre Order in for the 68 Firebird Pro Mod car and other parts that were originally in production at one point for 1/24th scale. Unfortunately I have to chalk it up as a loss of my money, but that is neither here nor there and definitely not your problem or anyone else but my own due to the decision I made in trying to wait it out.

You are very correct Flashpoint at this current time is the only place to purchase Pro Mod bodies that are of any resemblance of a real 1:1. But I think it is pretty raw that a product would be put out by someone that is less than accurate be it a body or parts for that matter. In addition to make a profit off of others that do not know the difference because they are either unaware or have no other choice but to purchase the item if they don't know how to make the part from scratch. I couldn't find an accurate 63 Corvette Pro Mod body in 1/16th scale, so... I set out and currently building my own Pro Mod vette using accurate dimensions of the 1:1 Pro Mod body.

The 1/16th Camaro body sells for $167.00, so it isn't a body for just everyone to go out and purchase, I am sure that if the 1/24th body was uploaded it would be more reasonable, but would think that it probably wont be in the same price as any current Resin Body due to being made on a 3D printing machine. If you click on the link within the TDR site, it will take you over to the Shapeway's site so you can see the price of the item. You do have to take into consideration that the body is the same thickness throughout the entire body and even has the recessed area for flush windows all doors are cut out and even the front clip is the proper width, so no cutting or having to widen it due to cutting it from the main body to fit accurately like you may need to do with a Resin Body.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

There are a variety of sites you can visit to aquire offerings in 1/16th or 1/12th and 1/8th. This effort will be ongoing and fruitful at times and sometimes disappointing. Obviously there are some versing personal opinions and they are correct in their reviews, however take all this with a grain of salt. At what level do you intend to build at? TDR is a very accurate producer bar none, but at what cost? Can you afford to put over $500.00 dollars into one build? Even if TDR was to produce everything you would need to build a complete vehicle the price would be outstanding. Or...you could search around and find other alternatives to your quest. For the price of one Camaro body from TDR you could have 4-5 bodies from Flashpoint or Comp Resins. I have bodies from both of the aforementioned suppliers and find some fault with both. But I'm a modeler who can make whatever changes needed to correct to my liking. If you don't have the talent then spend your money at TDR and avoid the stress.

Photoetch parts are somewhat harder to come by and other modeling suppliers like ProTech make some great products used by us large scale modelers. Finding uses for items at a local craft stores becomes an interesting search by itself at times. But by all means listen to what others have to say about the quality of products out there. Just remember that what one individual considers top notch quality may not fit your needs, by price or quality. You will have to seek out these products on your own and decide for yourself. This forum site is a great place to start.

I do engines in 1/16th scale and have done so for some time now. I don't have a website because I don't want to deal with the very thing that is happening here on this thread. I'm not an engineer and don't make intricate scale measurements to make sure that my engines are accurate to scale by the thousands of the inch. However, I have never had someone say that my product sucked or have I needed to refund any purchases...ever. I'm very picky about how these engines come together and continue to improve various parts all the time. Appreciate the efforts people extend themselves to provide for all us large scalers because you will not find this coming from the model manufacturers.

You will hear good and bad reviews all the time and everyone is entitled to their opinion. So go after this endeavor to aquire the parts you are looking for with zeal as well as some trepidation. By all means have fun with it.

I just saw a post from Mark Johnson on here and had to let you guys know the following. I saw some pics (a friend had sent me awhile back) of a 1/16 scale engine kit that he did and I was really impressed with the quality and detail of it. I would say if you 1/16 scale guys are looking for engine kits ( he might have other parts, not sure) I would get in contact with him and see what he has.

Charlie

Pro Tech

I'll chime in with Charlie. I have seen some of Mark's work in person and he does fantastic work. I can't recall what all he has. I know he's done at least one 427 Ford (I think Cammer) and he has some other Chrysler-based engines. I know I've read somewhere what some of his offerings are but don't recall now where I saw it.

Ok count me in a a big fan of Mark Johnson"s resin engines. I will say first hand that I think his are the best out there. I personally have one of his 426 hemi engines which is being used in my 1/16th Army Vega build I currently have going on. I also just received this week and 392 Injected engine that is going to be for a Front Engine Dragster project I have planned. His work is just beautiful in my opinion and he is a great guy to work with. I can't say enough great things about him. here are the list of engines that I know he offers

SOHC 427 Ford

392 Hemi blown and Injected

417 Donovan

he has a big block chevy in the works

he also offers a few different valve covers and oil pans for his engines depending on what engine it is.

here are the list of engines that I know he offers

SOHC 427 Ford

392 Hemi blown and Injected

417 Donovan

he has a big block chevy in the works

he also offers a few different valve covers and oil pans for his engines depending on what engine it is.

Are the 392 and 417 based on or copies of the Aurora engines? mark, can you post some pictures of the engines you make, please? I'd especially like to see the BBC as I have a project waiting for one.

Altered States is the only place a 1/16 Ford Cammer is available AFAIK:

Cammers.jpg

Yes the 392 and 417 engines are based on Aurora's engines. Refinements have been done as well as additional part creations made to offer parts that Aurora never did. I also bring over some Revell parts to fit the Aurora part platform. Blower end plates from Revell's engines are adjusted to fit the Aurora blower which is bigger and more appropiate in size. These adjustments and additions are based on real parts used on drag vehicles. I continue to refine parts all the time when research show that I missed something or find additional info that may not have been available at the time of creation/modification.

The SOHC effort is my creation and is not a copy offered by Altered States. Their SOHC was done by an individual, Vince "Bayarinas(sp)" and I believe he still posts on Straight Line Modeler @ YahooGroups. Both Vince and I endeavored to create the SOHC in 1/16th scale around the same time, he got his done first and has Altered States offering it through their site. It is a great engine and also comes injected which I do not presently offer. Anyone who states that my engine copies Vince's parts, I will happily show them my masters to prove that is not the case.

The 426 that Chris Sobak is using show my version of a refined Revell engine where I increased the engine's size and adding some much needed details. Revell never offered detailed heads for their kits. Using the Aurora blower as the standard, I increased the engine's gerth to fit that blower. This makes my 426 comparable with 392, 417 and SOHC 427 in scale relationship. Not to mention that you would want to have a engine sitting between the frame rails displaying as much detail as possible.

I continue to work towards finishing my effort at a BBC as well as a SBC. The BBC needs finish work on the block & manifold and the SBC needs a manifold in order to be complete. Both of these engines will open up a lot future build possibilities. Here's a pic of the head and valve cover so far.

I will post some pix tonight and tomorrow. Included is a shot of my 392 engine used in a current build whenever I get time to work on it. post-8509-0-11168800-1330062536_thumb.jppost-8509-0-71100100-1330061864_thumb.jppost-8509-0-34360800-1330061737_thumb.jppost-8509-0-93569500-1330061786_thumb.jppost-8509-0-87095700-1330062431_thumb.jppost-8509-0-11298600-1330062028_thumb.jppost-8509-0-16386000-1330062705_thumb.jp