Model Cars Magazine Forum

So what is YOUR least favorite part of building a model...?

Justin, how did you get inside my head? That pretty much sums it up perfectly for me too

Haha. I'm like a bad song from the 1980's. Once I get into your head, you can't get me out.

"Taaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkke onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Take On Me.........." ;)

Haha. I'm like a bad song from the 1980's. Once I get into your head, you can't get me out.

"Taaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkke onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Take On Me.........." ;)

now thats just not funny dognabit

I'm gona have to agree with the class as far as sanding the seams and pin marks and such being a pain. But I really hate scraping paint to glue parts together. I do as much cleaning and gluing of parts as possible before paint. For obvious reasons like engine halves and such, but I will try and construct as much of the model as possible so I don't have to scrape paint. All the body work and painting the body is my favorite. Sometimes I actually loose interest in a build after the body is done.

I'm gona have to agree with the class as far as sanding the seams and pin marks and such being a pain. But I really hate scraping paint to glue parts together. I do as much cleaning and gluing of parts as possible before paint. For obvious reasons like engine halves and such, but I will try and construct as much of the model as possible so I don't have to scrape paint. All the body work and painting the body is my favorite. Sometimes I actually loose interest in a build after the body is done.

Now I am admittedly just getting back into the hobby so there may be bad things about how I do it, but using cyanoacrylates (superglue) I have found that there is no need to scrape the paint. With typical "model glues", you need to scrape the paint and chrome off in order to let the glue "melt" the plastic to the plastic and basically weld them together. If there is paint or chrome in the way, it won't work. With cyanoacrylates, there is no need to scrape paint/chrome since the glue doesn't need to dissolve the plastic in order to work. Just make sure you use superglue VERY sparingly. It does not take a lot in order to get the job done, and overuse of it will fog up clear plastic amongst other things. But if you use small amounts it won't cause this problem and will save you the hassle of having to scrape all the paint off. A nice added bonus is that it "sets" almost instantly. Just make sure you don't get any on your fingers otherwise you'll truly be "one with your model." :P

I know about using superglue. I will use it every now and again but I can't use it like I want to. It never seems to fail that if I use superglue for any length of time it gives me a sinus infection. It sounds crazy and I feel like a big old wussy but I have to go with scraping paint.

Survey says....fixing massive numbers of ejection pin marks & I'm not talking about the 2-4 annoying bumps you used to find in interior tubs. I've got an old Revell XK-E that will probably never get built because so many of its intricate parts require extensive work before they can be painted and installed. Some look like they were in the wrong place during a drive-by shooting.

I know about using superglue. I will use it every now and again but I can't use it like I want to. It never seems to fail that if I use superglue for any length of time it gives me a sinus infection. It sounds crazy and I feel like a big old wussy but I have to go with scraping paint.

Yeah, if superglue was giving me sinus issues I'd stop using it too. I guess the only other way to avoid that would be to use small bits of painters tape on the areas that will receive glue? Not sure if that would be fully possible for really small parts, but at least those really small parts won't need much scraping. :P

Painting, my wife gives me grief, even with water base. "I can smell that!"

tell her to get back into the kitchen and cook something up that smells better :)

(DIYmirage does NOT actually endorse telling your wife to get back into the kitchen)

tell her to get back into the kitchen and cook something up that smells better :)

([DIYmirage does NOT actually endorse telling your wife to get back into the kitchen)

]...Thanks for cleaning that up! I was on my way to talk to my wife.......Whew!

I know this will sound odd, but I loathe the idea of cleaning up the kit. Sanding molding lines, cleaning up seams, injector marks, sink marks, etc. I absolutely can't stand the idea of doing all of that. Now I can do it all, and it's never as bad as I think it will be, but the idea of having to sit down and do it causes me...well to not sit down and do it. Then when I actually get the gumption up it turns into one of those "Why did I put this off so long?" things.

The bit soon after ...

You've gone throught he instuctions and sprues, identified the flaws ......followed by a plan that's as far form OOB .

Then start listing what needs to be corrected a needed to build a decent looking model.

pack it back into the box..

NEXT...........