Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody built the "Kart" from AMT's 1962 kits

I have recently purchased a couple old AMT kits from 1962 and each kit includes some parts to build a bonus "Kart".

Who has gathered all the parts and built the "Kart"? Let's see some pics if anybody has them.

Here are the instructions from 1962 Tempest kit:

53f2ea79.jpg

and the parts from the Tempest:

22350014.jpg

I have the Continental and Tempest but not sure if I have all the bonus parts.

Overall, I think this is a pretty cool gimmick to get people to buy a kit they may not ordinarily buy - I would rather see something like this versus the sparkle body in the Manx kit - which I didn't get with my one purchase!

I have seen a couple with the streamliner body Don - they are cool, thanks for posting a photo. Do you know how those were packaged when available? Did they come as parts in seperate kits like in the 62 kits?

I know there is a resin version available too, but I am more interested in the story of the promotional aspect and actually getting the kits to build the Kart.

Nice Kart, Bob.

I saw Ron's - really cool. It would be great to cruise in a 1:1 Kart like that. His was the Replica's resin version.

Thanks for the clarification too, Tim. In 1963 I might have purchased the Ford kit for the bonus. It would be out of the question for me now - not much interest in the truck.

I just think it's a fun idea to scatter a couple parts in a few kits. The remainder of the 1962 parts are in the 1962 Imperial, Mercury (not sure which Mercury? - I have a '62 Monterey but no box or parts), and the Nova. I could conceivably do those. It would cost me some.

I would love to see Round2 continue with the "retro" styling on the boxes and maybe bring back something like the "Kart" or "triumph".

Edited by Erik Smith

I just think it's a fun idea to scatter a couple parts in a few kits. The remainder of the 1962 parts are in the 1962 Imperial, Mercury (not sure which Mercury? - I have a '62 Monterey but no box or parts), and the Nova. I could conceivably do those. It would cost me some.

I would love to see Round2 continue with the "retro" styling on the boxes and maybe bring back something like the "Kart" or "triumph".

Some of the kart parts were included on the same sprues as say, the '62 Tempest parts, and other kart parts the same way in other kits? How did they do it with the Chevy pickup which included all kart parts? Were they loose parts or also molded with the truck's parts on the same/shared sprues? Or were the kart parts on a separate sprue?

The whole "tease" of a few parts spread among several kits doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can see the logic of it on an early '60s timeframe. I wonder if Round2 even knows where or in what condition the kart parts (insert?) are presently...

The whole "tease" of a few parts spread among several kits doesn't appeal to me at all, but I can see the logic of it on an early '60s timeframe. I wonder if Round2 even knows where or in what condition the kart parts (insert?) are presently...

This kind of "teaser" business is illegal in Europe (and probably elsewhere) nowadays. It's called 'tie-in' deal (phone companies, banks and insurance companies are notorious for this kind of deals), which means you have to purchase something else in order to get what you really want, i.e. you have to buy all those kits if you want the go-kart.

If done with model kits, like it was done in 1962 with the go-kart parts, it would probably never make it to the courts (pettiness), but the simple fact that it violates laws is sufficient that model kit manufacturers won't do it any more. Pitty this, really.

Edited by Junkman

Christian, that is how AMT did the Triumph motor bike and the Go- kart . You had to buy ALL of the AMT kits as a result . This was done in order to sell the entire line In both 1961 and in 1962. I nearly had all of the 62 Annual kits , I think fewer 61's as I had only begun building back in 1960. Ed Shaver

Christian, that is how AMT did the Triumph motor bike and the Go- kart . You had to buy ALL of the AMT kits as a result . This was done in order to sell the entire line In both 1961 and in 1962. I nearly had all of the 62 Annual kits , I think fewer 61's as I had only begun building back in 1960. Ed Shaver

Back then it was perfectly OK. It's nowadays they could face trouble doing it.

One of the Pickup kits also had the entire bike with it. I think it was the Chevy. I remember the 60's PU's had a dual axle trailer, you could build into a show display, along with gas, oil, and water cans. Didn't one also have a Harley with it? Also the Nova wagon had a 2 wheel trailer with it, and could be built as a track emergency vehicle.

Edited by Mercman

Not every '62 kit had parts for either the kart or the cycle; in fact, more didn't have them than did have them. You didn't even have to buy all of the ones that did have the parts, as some parts were in more than one kit. For example, one kit had plated wheels for the kart while another had an unplated set. Same with the exhaust pipes for the engines, and possibly the gas tank.

The '61 kits didn't include parts for an extra item like this. Some of them had miniature billboard frames, and a printed sheet that you had to cut from the instruction sheet which had a space for the builder to write details about their model.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 3/8/2012 at 4:54 PM, Mark said:

Not every '62 kit had parts for either the kart or the cycle; in fact, more didn't have them than did have them. You didn't even have to buy all of the ones that did have the parts, as some parts were in more than one kit. For example, one kit had plated wheels for the kart while another had an unplated set. Same with the exhaust pipes for the engines, and possibly the gas tank.

On 3/5/2012 at 3:47 PM, Erik Smith said:

Here are the instructions from 1962 Tempest kit:

53f2ea79.jpg

Three of the other four, starting with the '62 Chevy II Hardtop Sport Coupe:

AMT62ChevyIISCGoKartParts.jpg.b040af54689717e6ea177ae754699cef.jpg

'62 Imperial Hardtop:

AMT1962ImperialHTGoKartParts.jpg.60d6956cb113d32abc1a2c22270f8336.jpg

'62 Lincoln Continental Four-Door Sedan:

AMT1962LincolnContDrSedanGoKartParts.jpg.d2462d65a0246895e78c15dbf9e8f299.jpg

Missing, the 1962 Mercury:

amtbonus.jpg

I have the 1962 Pontiac Bonneville "bonus kit" which has a few of the parts from the motorcycle.

2v2EcoZCNxwUbWP.jpg

They used to include all kinds of bonus goodies and literature with these kits.

This one included a tube of body filler and a sheet of "vinyl" for the seats dash and rear package tray.

2v2EcoZyNxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EcoQLnxwUbWP.jpg

There were also painting techniques, a list of available AMT spray paint colors, and an "Authentic Model Turnpike" drivers license.

2v2EcoQuzxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EcoQbMxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EcoQkjxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EcoQ6MxwUbWP.jpg

And then there's this "stinky" little guy! :D

2v2EcoQjdxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

• 1 year later...