Model Cars Magazine Forum

COPO Camaro is Back!

Chevy has just announced that they will be bringing back the COPO Camaro to be used for drag racing like Ford's Cobra Jet and the Challenger offered by dodge. They will only be making 69 of them as that is all that was made in 1969. They have 3 engines, a naturally aspirated LS7 and 2 supercharged LS3's. All will be offered with Powerglides as the only trans and will be offered in 5 colors with the decal package to also pay tribute to the ZL-1. Personally I think this is sweeeet and wish I could afford one.

Chevy_COPO_Camaro_Concept_1-623x467.jpg

Whether you like the new Camaro or not,you gotta like this!

I really like the looks of the new Camaro, but this one looks overinflated and bulbous with the arched cowl induction scoop, the undersized wheels, and a way too tall ride height. If GM want to truly pay tribute to the 69 1969 C.O.P.O 9560 Camaros, they shouldn't be adorned with any graphics, just like the originals. Automatic transmission only? :rolleyes:

I am not too impressed with that. I am not one of those who is against all new cars, but the proportions and design are off on that. The wheels are way too small and the hood looks, as Casey said, "bulbous". Somebody with photoshop skills, please fix this for Chevrolet.

Wow, take the new Camaro, toss a 1985-vintage set of rollers on it, recycle the old Powerglide name for use on whatever automatic they're using now, slap some stickers on it, and tack a substantial % onto the MSRP because you're only building 69 of them. Really? Is this the best GM can do?

Even though I am a Ford guy, the new Camaro always makes me turn my head when I see one as it just looks cool. I don't know about this one being called a COPO though as I don't see it necessarily as something in the spirit of COPO (but technically aren't most Camaros coming off the line these days with Corvette engines anyway?). I've always thought of COPO as being a way to get something hotter than your average machine which was not available any other way, but still street legal (which this obviously is not).

But, as a badge to distinguish it as being not you normal run of the mill Camaro, sure. As a factory built drag car, it should be quite awsome though.

Doesn't this kinda fly in the face of the current administration's recent policy about increasing gas mileage? I mean, afterall, isn't GM still owned in part by the government? :P

Okay, I am not crazy about the design but at least they are trying to be a player in the game! I agree that $89K for a car that can't be street driven is kinda pricy but I bet that all 69 will be sold fast!

ANOTHER lame attempt at re-capturing a time when cars were exciting?!?

COPO's were a little-known loop hole that allowed the average guy (with deep pockets....) to step up and order a nasty street-piece. I know that Chevy is trying to keep up with the Drag Pak cars from the others, but WHY can't the product engineers create something new, instead of hanging unto the past?

And don't get me started on Dodge pick-up trucks running around with baby wings and the word DAYTONA on the flanks....th_screwloose.gif

Doesn't this kinda fly in the face of the current administration's recent policy about increasing gas mileage? I mean, afterall, isn't GM still owned in part by the government? :P

Okay, I am not crazy about the design but at least they are trying to be a player in the game! I agree that $89K for a car that can't be street driven is kinda pricy but I bet that all 69 will be sold fast!

Well, it is a race car after all, gas mileage don't matter when you're only running a quarter mile at a time ;)

ANOTHER lame attempt at re-capturing a time when cars were exciting?!?

COPO's were a little-known loop hole that allowed the average guy (with deep pockets....) to step up and order a nasty street-piece. I know that Chevy is trying to keep up with the Drag Pak cars from the others, but WHY can't the product engineers create something new, instead of hanging unto the past?

And don't get me started on Dodge pick-up trucks running around with baby wings and the word DAYTONA on the flanks....th_screwloose.gif

The Super/Rumble Bee badging on a top of the line model gets me just as bas as that. That's like putting the Road Runner badge on a Chrysler 300c <_<