Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building Original Issue Kits vs. Reissued Kits?

Original Issue Kits vs. Reissues  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of kits do you prefer to purchase?

• Original issue
    • Early (second and third) reissues
    • Current/most recent reissue

im with Jantrix and High octane and i never hardly build out of box so sometimes it better to garbag pick get a few wrecks for a kit or parts you need ta da build what you want with out the expence of buying 6 or 7 different kits.

Hmm...........there is a fourth choice you should add.

O I build whatever version/issue happens to fall into my hot little hands.

That's where I would put my check mark.

ME TOO!

I checked current because that is usually the cheapest way to get one. But however it takes me to get a model I want to build. 1st issue, latested re-issue , gluebomb, or whatever!

I usually go with a recent reissue if possible... not gonna spend two bills on, say, an original issue AMT '66 Mustang when I can get a reissue for ten bucks. Now, if the subject is a kit that was only reissued once, or never at all, obviously I'll go the other route. They're kits- they're meant to be built no matter what 'vintage' they are.

all of the above plus more I cannot leave a model in the plastic wrapped box! it must come out and run my imagination!

i don't care if its old issu or new issue or reissues, (although theres something about the nostolgia of the old kits and the old box art) very cool ! i will build it wherever it comes

I think you've got to take it on a case-by-case basis. Some reissues are using older tooling that may not be as crisp as before, OR they may have improved the tooling for the reissue.

My own experience: I recently got a Jo-Han Mercedes 500K in its original Gold Cup version from the late 60s, which is a fine kit. Then I got a later re-issue in slightly different packaging, not Gold Cup, which was now molded in red, had tons of flash, and the chrome sprue did not have complete coverage.

I had the same problems with the difference between Aurora's original Maserati 3500 GT and the later Monogram reissue.

Edited by sjordan2

I think I'm with the consensus here: I build what is available for ghe best price. If I could get first or early issue of a kit, I will within reason. For instance, AMT's 1962 Buick - I don't see a reason to spend more on an original issue versus the most current issue, which is cheap and easy to find. Also, just looking over Monogram's 1958 T-Bird I noticed that tooling has held up very well, so, again, no reason for an older issue (plus older issues were molded in color, not good). I do have some kits that have limited or no reissues, so no choice on those. I will get old build ups as well on hard to find kits.

In some cases the original and / or early issues are a better choice due to less wear on the molds, therefore cleaner parts.

Exactly ! Plus,until recently, the kit would be re-issued in grey or some other ugly off-color and sometimes inferior plastic !

For me sometimes it comes down to price. I prefer original issues usually because they have better box art and the pieces are of better quality due to being the first run with a particular tooling. And then there's always toolings that get modified to represent different years so you have to go with the original.

For instance, I have an MPC '71 Road Runner as well as an AMT '74 GTX; they're the same kit but extensively modified.

Skip Jordan mentioned the re-issued Jo-han Mercedes 500K which is an excellent example of why an original issue is better. An even better example is the Jo-han Cadillac V-16 Sport Phaeton. They put the wrong fenders in that kit! The Town car and the Convert. Coupe used the same fenders. The Sport Phaeton used a different set but they put the other fenders in the re-issue. They don't fit. The bottom of the body on the Sport phaeton goes over the frame more and curves upward toward the cowl. It is a straight line on the other 2. You would have to carve away at the frame covers to get the body down to fit. I have several of the original "Gold Cup" kits and they are correct and the molding is crisp. The re-issues are parts kits for me. By the way - it is a great mill to put in a street rod!!!

I used to be a box collector for display, so getting an original kit inside was a bit of a bonus. I now would only build re-issues as there may be someone out there willing to donate to my Hayabusa riding fund(I want a Yoshimura exhaust set up and they cost £££££££)

Then again, I had an original Chrysler Turbine from Jo-Han that I built, the re-issue from the 1980s had terrible flash on the chrome to make the parts almost unusable without replating.

You should add no preference, that's how I would vote.

I would agree.

I build the kits I can get a hold of. When I have the desire to add a kit to my collection I look for the least expensive issue I can find. So, if the recent issue is cheaper I buy that, if the older issue is cheaper I buy that instead. The only exception to this is when I really want to build a kit that had a specific decal set with it. Then I will look for the issue that included the decals I want.

I have a lot of 30-40 year old kits in the que or in WIP because there are no re-issues, but I have had some I just could not build because of their value or significance.

I had an original issue (circa 1958) Renwal Atomic Cannon that I had wanted since I was about 10 years old. It was in great shape (except the decals) with all the parts still bagged. But when it came to building it I just couldn't. I picked up the Revell 1980's re-issue and started on that (paint and wheel assembly). It's been sitting awhile, but I couldn't build that original. I did, however, sell it for a fair piece. :)

I had two others I let go of, even though I had great plans for one of them. First was a 1/8 McLaren F1 with two sets of Marlboro decals. Great kit, but it was worth too much for me to have sitting for more years. Got around $950 for it. The second was a 1/12 Bandai STP Turbine Indy car. LIke the McLaren, it was MIB. I gathered lots of data on it and wanted to make one for shows as it is something I have never seen in a contest or show in 45 years of going to them. When the prices went up to $1000 I figured it was better to let it go.

There is an advantage to re-issues, though...as I am finding out the hard way. Decals! The decals from my 1/8 Porsche RSR and 1/8 John Player Lotus 72D's (I have 4) are all too old. A re-issue would kill the value of them, but I'd love to have all new decals without paying $100 each set. I assume that most of my 40 year old kits also have troubled decals.