Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes SLR Black edition

Pete J.

These are some photos of a model I just completed for the San Diego Model Car Club meeting. This months theme is Super cars. It is a Tamiya SLR done custom style. I decided to go with a "Black Edition". Special paint job, blacked out most of the chrome trim, tinted windows and lenses, red stripe rims, Red interior. Just a "build for fun". Straight from the box. Just add paint, imagination, shake well and out it pops! Well, not quite but you get the idea.

SLSBlackside.jpg

SLSBlackhalffront.jpg

SLSBlackrear.jpg

BlackSLRopen.jpg

SLSBlackchassis.jpg

BlackSLSchassisengine.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Wow, thats is very nice, I cant wait to build mine, well the none black verison

Jonathan - Several cautions about building it. It appears that the kit was intended to be a die cast because of the way it goes togeather. The windows are snap in. I would recomend that the file the smaller tabs off and glue them in. I chipped the paint trying to snap them in. Second do a lot of trial fiting. Unlike most Tamiya kits, the inner door panels don't quite fit right and if you are not very careful the doors won't close right. Last, the front door hinge is a piece of wire and really isn't the best. The instructions tell you not to glue it in, but I couldn't make it work that way. It kept falling out. Very poor design for a Tamiya kit. This isn't your usual shake and bake from them. Good luck.

Jonathan - Several cautions about building it. It appears that the kit was intended to be a die cast because of the way it goes togeather. The windows are snap in. I would recomend that the file the smaller tabs off and glue them in. I chipped the paint trying to snap them in. Second do a lot of trial fiting. Unlike most Tamiya kits, the inner door panels don't quite fit right and if you are not very careful the doors won't close right. Last, the front door hinge is a piece of wire and really isn't the best. The instructions tell you not to glue it in, but I couldn't make it work that way. It kept falling out. Very poor design for a Tamiya kit. This isn't your usual shake and bake from them. Good luck.

Thank you for the heads up, I will be keeping this in mind when I get to work on it, I thought it was odd that it comes with a metal chassis plate as well.

Very nice! The door open and close?

No! See the notes above about the hinge. They should, but I just couldn't make them work the way the instructions indicated. The passenger side was fine but the drivers side kept falling appart and glueing it made it not fit. Also the support rods were missalinged. The instrutions look like they may have changed the part but did not include the changed part. Very disappointing for a Tamiya kit.

Paint it gloss black with red pinstripes and it would make a cool Batmobile!

Harry -Definately not my favorite car by a long shot. It really strikes me as a caricature of the original SLR's instead of a retro/tribute to the real deal. I much prefer the AMG SLS. That really looks like a true update of the original gull wing. Assuming that money was not a problem ....SLR - I would rather have the money - SLS I would rather have the car.

No! See the notes above about the hinge. They should, but I just couldn't make them work the way the instructions indicated. The passenger side was fine but the drivers side kept falling appart and glueing it made it not fit. Also the support rods were missalinged. The instrutions look like they may have changed the part but did not include the changed part. Very disappointing for a Tamiya kit.

Sorry I miss that part. But thanks for explain it to me again. :)