Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about the Ford 9"

I've noticed that a good percentage of modelers who build Fords with the 9" rear end paint the axle and differential housing in a semi-gloss black, while the front cover that accepts the driveshaft is usually done in a rusty brown. Is that done to depict nodular iron with surface rust? Why wouldn't that piece be the same color as the rest of the axle assembly?

The front of the differential is cast iron and not always painted like the rest of the axle and therefore rusts. It's the same with some power steering gear boxes, my 08 Dodge Ram work truck came with the power steering gear box bare cast iron and it is a nice shade of rust now.

Ford actually painted the center section which holds the ring and pinion gears in red oxide primer which is why you see them painted that way.

This is the correct answer, all of the rest are just speculation or incorrect information. I thought this was common automotive knowledge. Now, that being said, if someone used a Ford 9" in say a rod project, they might well paint the part any color they chose. The info applies to car as they left the factory or after being correctly restored.

Edited by Bob Turner

This is the correct answer, all of the rest are just speculation or incorrect information. I thought this was common automotive knowledge. Now, that being said, if someone used a Ford 9" in say a rod project, they might well paint the part any color they chose. The info applies to car as they left the factory or after being correctly restored.

Really? Is that the rule? Man do I feel dumb.

This is the correct answer, all of the rest are just speculation or incorrect information. The info applies to car as they left the factory or after being correctly restored.

OK, you and slantasaurus have solved the "what" issue. Now, can you explain why Ford would go to the trouble of painting the front cover with red oxide primer while the rest of the axle is painted black?

The centers were painted before they were ever loaded with gears I would have to say. When you have a large production going its just easier to have the parts that are ready to assemble to meat a perticular order VS.units already built and hope they will sell.

Just paint it in a cast aluminum metalizer and call it good.

Edited by moparmagiclives

Ford actually painted the center section which holds the ring and pinion gears in red oxide primer which is why you see them painted that way.

Eaton did the same thing with the center sections for the '55-'64 Chevrolet Passenger rearend, even the same color. '55-'62 Truck 1/2 ton rearends (also supplied by Eaton) were generally an almost Allis-Chalmers orange color.

The center section is cast iron . The rest is a stamped part , after it is welded together they are painted .

Except they're not welded, they're bolted together. That's a big reason why early NASCARs used a Ford 9". They could have several center sections set up with different gears and swap them easily at the track.

Except they're not welded, they're bolted together. That's a big reason why early NASCARs used a Ford 9". They could have several center sections set up with different gears and swap them easily at the track.

I was talking about the rearend housing that is welded together , not the center section. Yes you are correct about the Nascar using them. Another reason is that the GM axles are held in with wimpy c clips that tend to break and the axle and tire start rolling away from the car.

I was talking about the rearend housing that is welded together , not the center section. Yes you are correct about the Nascar using them. Another reason is that the GM axles are held in with wimpy c clips that tend to break and the axle and tire start rolling away from the car.

Absolutely, I was just trying to clarify.

I have always painted that part red oxide becuase that is the way I have always seen it. And I like to paint it this way. The extra color adds interest to a chassis that is mostly different shades of grey or black. But possible some came from the assembly line unpainted or painted in black. Make me wonder where people who restore car get they're information. Even floorboards. Some are red oxide, some are grey, some are black and some are body color. Who knows whats correct for a certain year make. Just paint it the way that pleases you.