Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Olds 442 Pro Street

Chuck Most

Yes, yes, Pro Street is pretty much 'dead', but I don't care. B)

1-vi.jpg

The body is from the AMT kit, while the chassis is from the new reissue of the Revell '67 Chevelle pro street kit. Both the body and chassis needed some trimming to fit together, but wheelbase, track, and the general position and location of parts are perfect for the Olds... which they should be, as the 1:1 cars shared a basic platform.

As it is now, the car sits a bit high for my tastes, so the nose will be going down a few scale inches at least. I've got a bit of room in the fenders to play around with, but the rear is another story- in this photo, the rear tires are touching the tops of the tubs.

The Chevelle kit comes with modular wheels with Bow Tie patterns engraved on them, obviously not going to cut it on an Olds, so I got a spare set of wheels from a Monogram '37 Ford Tudor street rod kit. The front inner and outer wheel halves were filed down a bit to fit better in the wheels- the assembled wheel would have been a tick too wide for the Chevelle front tires had I not done that.

Rear wheels were another story. For those, I cut the Chevelle rear wheels roughly 1/8" above where the wheel gets wider. I then filed the cut flat, painted the modified Chevelle wheel flat black, and glued the Monogram outer wheel to that.

2-vi.jpg

Here's a view of the modified wheel-

3-vi.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most

I'll be tuned in on this one Chuck! I still love pro street cars! I think once you get that front end down a little,it should look about right.

I'm leaning toward Duplicolor School Bus Yellow, but nothing is set in stone at this point. I might look at available '66 442 colors and see if there's one I like.

Fixed the front ride height issue- cut the axle stub off flush with the vertical surface of the spindle, then moved it up as high as it would go. Unmodified side on the left, dropped side on the right of the photo. Works out to a rough 3 scale inch drop.

4-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

Now THAT'S more like it! Yes, I know the rear axle isn't centered, we'll worry about getting the rear suspension all sorted out later.

While I like Pro street, and understand your point - - - the car mags show what's popular, and what sells magazines, the same as MCM. Like it or not, Pro Touring is what's popular, at the moment.(Actually, for about the last 10 years)Years ago, when Pro Street was the trend, people said the same thing ! The same could be said for the mags that feature 'old school, rat rods, low riders, etc...If they did not cater to a majority of their readers they would not be around long.....'Z'

That should look nice when you are done Chuck. Not sure about school bus yellow but mayeb once I see it will look better than it sounds.

What are you doing for an engine? A mild or wild setup?

That Chevelle chassis is so easy to adapt to other kits, I have a couple of them just for that purpose.

You need to build the experimental W-43 Olds hemi for this car. The block is a standard Olds 455 piece with four valves per cylinder hemi heads. It never went into production but is rumored to have pulled almost 600hp on the dyno.

Oldsmotor2.jpg

Oldsmotor.jpg

Well, for power I believe there is only one correct choice for this car- an Olds V8 with a supercharger! I know a big block Chevy would probably be the easy way to go, but I just think an Olds pro street car needs Olds power.

You could not say this any better ! The big block Chevy could be leg for the work bench !

Well, for power I believe there is only one correct choice for this car- an Olds V8 with a supercharger!

Exactly! If you could get the blower setup and valve covers from the old original Revell SWC Willys,that would be the icing on the cake!