Model Cars Magazine Forum

Future modeler in the works,,,,,,,at least I hope anyway

gtx6970

My daughter has always had an interest in cars and since I started messing with models again these past few months. she took notice and wanted to help or build her own,,,she's just turned 12 btw. I own my own shop whre I work on the real things. Both the classics and new ones. And she likes to tinker in the garage sometimes .

I picked this one on ebay a couple months ago for myself but she latched onto in when it showed up. SHE wanted to build it with no pursasion from me .I think she liked the pearl white color .

I picked the decal choice using a less than perfect old Fred Cady sheet I had on hand. It was completely built start to finish within 48 hours of the mail man dropping it off to me .

I helped her with the decals and some of the assy issues this car has. It's a snap kit and goes together kind of tight in some areas. . But 90% of it is all her. Built 100% right out of the box with no paint work or added detail.

Enjoy, to say I am extremly proud of her is a huge understatment.

She has already built a dodge ram snap kit and she is working on one of the clear trailer kits now to display the whole shbang on her dresser

post-9887-0-52796800-1337171385_thumb.jp

Edited by gtx6970

NICE!!!!!!!,she did an outstanding job!!!,I know what you mean about the help on some of the "snap" areas,my Baby Girl is working on a snap and heck I even have trouble getting them to snap......her work looks like she has been at it for awhile....man just wonderful,nothin' like having your baby girl being into cars with ya!!!!,enjoy my friend enjoy!!!!

This is her first model. I showed her how to use a single sided sniper to remove all the parts off the trees and a sanding board to clean everything up ( the double sided fiber type fingernail files work great btw )

Being an avid drag modeler myself,,the decal choice was mine.

But she trimmed the decals with scissors on her own and once I helped position them on the body, she dabbed them down with a paper towel + Q tips and covered them with decal set and let it sit overnight to dry. Next day she wanted to get right back on it.

There is no engine in the car and it's far from perfect in person. but it came out great for a 1st timer. . The 94 Dodge ram snap kit she did 100% on her own with nothing but verbal guidence from me .

The clear trailer kit I'm helping her with because it's not very beginner friendly .

I'll show here this post and it will make her day :)

Edited by gtx6970

Wow, a great build for a first-timer. My younger daughter built her first model at about 12 too, and before long she was laying down some fantastic rattle-can paint jobs. She did one, a two-tone purple over silver 1990's S-10 Blazer 4-door(factory available colors, believe it or not!) that came out so well that it didn't even need polishing out! Encourage your daughter and help her along when she needs it. This is a hobby that can bring the two of you closer together. They grow up fast (Don't I know it!), but this can become something the two of you share for a lifetime. Please encourage her to become a member of this website and post her own builds as she builds them. There is a wealth of talent on here that can offer all kinds of advice if she needs it.

She did a great job on that thing, congrats. I live in Northern Kentucky also Bill, Erlanger to be exact, pretty cool a local guy is on here. You say you own a garage also..?

Yes,

I work for myself restoring old cars in addition to some work on modern vehicles if I can.

currently have a 1968 Charger R/T in and a 1969 Charger R/T thats about finished

I finished a 1970 Hemi Cuda last year and a 1970 Road Runner 440 six barrel car

• 2 weeks later...