Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Chrysler 300 Photos

Just got one yesterday, and I have to say my only gripe is the box. I wish it were just a bit larger, so that everything wasn't crammed in there as tightly. Fortunately there was only one loose part (lower radiator hose), and no parts had been twisted or ripped off the sprues because of the cozy confines.

One observation about the box art... it's very eye catching and nicely done, but did anybody else notice that the car's model year is nowhere to be found on the box? Not griping there, just wondering out loud.

There's a reason for that small box...being....

You'd have to build it, cuz there's no way you can put it back into it.

;^)

BTW I like the mold alignment on the bumpers, the seams are "almost" invisible,

Edited by Luc Janssens

I got one of these today and everything looks really nice, very AMT like, except the chrome caps for the fins. Mine are really rough on the edges and have some fairly heavy seams. Maybe mine are just jacked up, I haven't seen any built ones on here that seem to have the same issue.

A good friend of mine has an actual car.

Next month when the car goes to a local high end show, I will take lots of pictures

I picked one of these kits up when it was 1st released and WOW, they sure have set the bar for everyone else.

I was IMPRESSED with my both actually!!

My only cons point before a better analysis during pre-assembly it's windshield wipers molded into the body.

For my style of building I need to strip out this and logos.But I'm really impressed with presentation, quality of parts, body accuracy and others... Soon as possible I'll start my one.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Thaks Gregg, first chance I've had to see it. Looks sweet. The only beef I have is in this day and age, molded in wipers and door handles are inexcusable, they should be seperate parts.

for all the guys that insist on separate door handles and wipers, consider the cost and efficiency of tooling four more pieces accurately enough to appear close to scale and STILL be robust enough to withstand being molded, bagged, stuffed into a box, shipped ten thousand miles, shipped from warehouse to distribution center and then to stores without breaking, and then withstand being cut from the sprue without breaking or going astray.... the consider it's nearly a miracle of faith in your product that it will sell well enough that you risked tooling it up in the first place.

IMHO i've seen LOTS of builds with separate wipers where they simply will not sit "right". door handles, not so bad, but plenty of misaligned wipers.

for all the guys that insist on separate door handles and wipers, consider the cost and efficiency of tooling four more pieces accurately enough to appear close to scale and STILL be robust enough to withstand being molded, bagged, stuffed into a box, shipped ten thousand miles, shipped from warehouse to distribution center and then to stores without breaking, and then withstand being cut from the sprue without breaking or going astray.... the consider it's nearly a miracle of faith in your product that it will sell well enough that you risked tooling it up in the first place.

IMHO i've seen LOTS of builds with separate wipers where they simply will not sit "right". door handles, not so bad, but plenty of misaligned wipers.

I disagree. How can it be more costly? They are already tooling them on the body, to do it off cant be that much more, and as far as alignment, that's a builder problem, not a problem with seperate parts.

Revell Chargers have seperate wipers and door handles, as do most Tamiya and Italiri kits. If Revell can pull it off and keep thier prices competitive I don't really understand why others can't. It has nothing to do with fragility. I've had dozens of the aforementioned kits and not one of the wipers came out broken. It might be a tooling cost issue, but to me it's just laziness issue when you compare them to the foreign kits I mentioned. I would pay Tamiya prices for a Revell or MPC kit if the tooling warranted it.

Then go through all the 'fun' of removing any mold lines/sprue attachments from those separate handles and wipers. Oh... and that is after you manage not to break and/or lose them in the process of getting them off the sprue. :rolleyes:

I only have two gripes about this kit, and both are minor. I wish the box were just a little bit bigger- the way things sit now, the box is a little bit 'crammed', and both the 300s I've bought have had a few parts knocked off the sprues. Nothing broken or ruined as a result, but I think the quarters are still a bit too tight in there! The second is the front plate mount, or rather, the molded-open locator holes for it in the bumper- I wish they'd flashed over them instead of leaving them open. Doesn't look like it will be a fun fix if you choose not to use the front plate. They did it on the Flock version, why not the factory stock version?

Other than that, I'm really impressed with the kit. I almost hate to say it, but I think they pole-vaulted past the Hornet kit in terms of quality... and this is coming from a guy who likes Hudsons way more than Mopars. B) The Motor Wheel wires are especially tasty, and I can see that Hemi stuffed into a few other applications besides the intended one.

I disagree. How can it be more costly? They are already tooling them on the body, to do it off cant be that much more, and as far as alignment, that's a builder problem, not a problem with seperate parts.

Trust me, there is a large difference between engraving wipers as raised detail on a body shell, and making them as separate parts. Making any separate part means two halves (or more as in the case of a body shell), coupled with all the work to make those two mold halves align properly, and the molten plastic flow as it needs to for a complete part.

The other issue, already alluded to, is that making such a part as a windshield wiper anywhere near scale dimensions means a very thin section part. If the real wiper blade is, for example, a quarter inch wide, and perhaps 3/" tall (approximately the maximum height and width of most wiper blades, one is talking about a part that is .010" wide, and .015" tall from the glass. The same thing happens with radio antenna's--real ones are what, down to 1/8" at their last section (conventional collapsibile antenna), that translates to .005", or .25mm in 1/25 scale.

For parts such as door handles and windshield wipers, the arguments both for and against are probably about equal in the marketplace, but are weighted against their being separate parts much of the time in the model kit industry, from my experience and conversations with kit designers and manufacturers over the years.

Art

catering to the widest possible consumer spectrum means making choices in how far to go in providing details. we builders with the experience in deaing with fine-scale parts can take or leave tiny parts in stride... less experienced builders may simply get frustrated, lose interest in the kit, or even start flaming it in reviews because it had fiddly bits they couldn't handle yet. having waited several months in anticipation of the second Moebius car kit, and having been overwhelmed by the Hudson kit, i feel that criticizing Moebius for such a slight omission is really sort of sour grapes. sure, there are Japanese kits that have wipers and door handles; lots of them are curbsides and have flat pan chassis....

and still cost between thirty and fifty dollars sometimes. surely you should get an engine in a kit costing thirty bucks or more?

BTW the Revell Chevelle wagon kit has two sets of door handles in it, IIRC... enough to do the kit in the box and a couple more.

Regarding separate door handles - Please look at the door handles of a real 55 C300 - the door handles on those cars are not typical of 1950's autos. They do not stand out from the body rather they are set into the sheet metal - making them as separate parts doesn't make much sense -

Dave

For anyone who's interested, here's an exhaustive thread on the restoration and modification of a C-300 - 35 pages, heavily illustrated. Exterior and interior are stock; after that, lots of changes. As you go through it, later pages show details of body and interior work. This gives you lots of visual information on the stock model as it's torn apart.

http://www.hotrodscu...ysler_c300.html

mag-001.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

• 3 weeks later...

Would be interesting to note how many of us picked red,white or black-

MIne is "almost done"- painted rustoleum painters touch colonial red (bonds to plastic)

made an error on painting (last photo) a new body was available from Moebius for eight bucks

(included shipping) be sure & ask for the hood too- asking for a new body gets you the body-

that's all. (Isn't the hood part of the body?) anyway- my only gripe was that the hood

was not hinged- just a lift off type.

post-9314-0-12809000-1339854112_thumb.jp

post-9314-0-91347400-1339854126_thumb.jp

post-9314-0-36025200-1339854140_thumb.jp