Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carbs: The most unrealistic part on every model car I've had

1st thing is tires, of course that's more of a funds issue.

2nd thing is brakes. Why can't all (new) kits come with separate brakes, rather than the wheel backs, even if they don't have see-through wheels? It wouldn't create an increase in parts, and would provide that little bit of detail. Of course, it would mean that the wheels would have to be designed as one piece, but Tamiya doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I guess the third thing would be front suspensions molded as one large blob with the steering linkage attached. Sure it might be less pieces to mold and assemble, but it looks stupid and doesn't allow the builder the option of poseable steering. Again, this is an area where Tamiya shines.

And I haven't even addressed the intricacies of assembling such tiny plastic parts (Surely many here remember the carping about the overly intricate Trumpeter '60 Bonnevilles, the equally intricate Accurate Miniatures kits, no? Please note that I've not even addressed the really intricate parts of a carburetor--the linkages! Even if done in PE, those would intimidate a large majority of modelers, on two fronts: Extreme intricacy, and cost--that stuff ain't cheap folks!

You have a point here, I have a 1/72 Dragon Sherman "Easy 8" with only one side of the suspension done. I don't know if the other side will ever be completed, I just don't know if I can subject myself to all of those tiny parts again. There is a point of diminishing returns with super heavy detail, where the parts are so complex it's just not fun anymore.

Windshield wipers. Molded in, they look flat and make application of BMF difficult. Seperate wipers are too thick and some don't sit on the glass. I prefer PE wipers when possible.

Tires. So much potential, so little execution. The same old tires in so many kits is annoying. Is it that tough to tool up a nice tire or two? And what's up with supplying tires that don't even fit the kit wheels?

Mold lines on bumpers. I have resorted to stripping and BMF on my last few builds.

Carbs, yes, to a point. I spend time searching for nice ones, detailing them, and them covering them with the filter. Also, they are not something that gets noticed much "on the table" at shows, etc.

That's not how us model builders roll :angry:

Licensing can't be THAT much, can it?

If you were the head of a model manufacturing company, whose primary job is to maximize profits, and you had the choice of adding realistic tires with correct tread detail and correct sidewall lettering (and paying a hefty licensing fee to do so)... or adding generic "close enough" tires with no licensing fee... what would you do?

If you were the head of a model manufacturing company, whose primary job is to maximize profits, and you had the choice of adding realistic tires with correct tread detail and correct sidewall lettering (and paying a hefty licensing fee to do so)... or adding generic "close enough" tires with no licensing fee... what would you do?

If it were me, I'd just bite the bullet and pay the licensing fee. Yeah, it sucks, but you gotta keep the customers happy.

If it were me, I'd just bite the bullet and pay the licensing fee. Yeah, it sucks, but you gotta keep the customers happy.

You might get away with that once or twice. Then you'd find out the true ugly nature of "keep it in the black" and either have to bow to the stockholders or be removed from your position.

Would it be that difficult to at least add throttle plate detail to the tops of the carbs? That in itself would be a big improvement.

That's not how us model builders roll :angry:

Licensing can't be THAT much, can it?

Andy they would have to pay by the tire not by the kit . Just think if the cost of the kit went up 4 to 8 dollars just to have a name on them. Also you could not have two different names in the same box they would frown on that.

To be fair. I mentioned the better job at carbs done by the aftermarket. They do have the advantage of the ability to stretch the molds a bit for part release but the ones shown are obviously only two part molds. This level of detail is acceptable to me considering all the limitations mentioned in this thread. I don't think linkage should enter into this discussion as this is a whole 'nother subject. This particular carb is cast in metal impregnated resin and will polish up to look like real metal .. I haven polished the ones shown yet. .These are by Model Car Garage, but I'm not sure they still produce them.

MCGHolleyDominatorDSC_0678.jpg

Edited by Foxer

I agree with what has been said here but my gripe is exhaust pipes and some times exhaust manifolds. The solid exhaust pipes are a pretty simple fix but you notice that some builders paint the pipes silver and don't bother to even paint the ends black to at least give the impression of being hollow. That's one reason I like the Revell 49 Merc kit so much, nice metal exhaust tips.

I agree with what has been said here but my gripe is exhaust pipes and some times exhaust manifolds. The solid exhaust pipes are a pretty simple fix but you notice that some builders paint the pipes silver and don't bother to even paint the ends black to at least give the impression of being hollow. That's one reason I like the Revell 49 Merc kit so much, nice metal exhaust tips.

Ray , you are right about the exhaust pipes , but like you said , it is a "simple fix" . I can do that myself , so why pay extra to have it done by the manufacturer when there are other things that really need to be done . On the other hand , it might only take one guy a few minutes to modify the mold and put a little dimple in the end .

I don't really know .

BOB .