Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sectioned & channeled '40 Ford Speedster, Dec.31 update

Ace-Garageguy

This is another one back in the rotation while things dry, or while I work out problems on the other builds. It started as an AMT '40 Tudor Sedan.

DSCN2761.jpg

A comparison of the kit body and the mod bod.

DSCN3484.jpg

This one's getting a Lincoln V-12 flathead, and an early auto gearbox (not the Ford gearbox pictured). Lots of cutting and fabbing to get it all to fit.

DSCN2599.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 6 months later...

The look of the nose has been bugging me ever since the beginning. Though I like the '40, it just wasn't getting the overall feeling I was going for, so it's been getting fiddled with for months. I finally came up with a slightly new direction, and I think this is the look I'll stay with.

Started by cutting free the front fenders...

DSCN8567.jpg

...and splicing in the front fenders from a '37. The teardrop headlight treatment, farther inboard than the '40 has them, is more in keeping with the 'Deco' look I'm after. The new front fenders also allowed me to stretch the wheelbase a few scale inches, which tends to give the car more presence, and allows more room for the V12.

DSCN8587.jpg

DSCN8590.jpg

DSCN8592.jpg

I've also started building a Carson-style top, cut down from the Phantom Vicky kit. After seeing these pix, it's clear I need to lower the roofline a good bit, but the idea is happening, and I'm pleased with it in its rough state...so far.

DSCN8610.jpg

Once the roof profile is dialed in, I'll address whether or not to square the rear of the front fenders to imitate the '40 design.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

l must've missed this 1st time around. Very cool roadster ! My eyes are having trouble with the vertical grille. It seems like it needs an aggressive forward tilt ? Just a thought. I agree with your front fender mod idea. I'm sure it's gonna look great any way you go, it's already looking like a winner !

Bart

l must've missed this 1st time around. Very cool roadster ! My eyes are having trouble with the vertical grille. It seems like it needs an aggressive forward tilt ? Just a thought. I agree with your front fender mod idea. I'm sure it's gonna look great any way you go, it's already looking like a winner !

Bart

Thanks for your input. What I'm leaning to at the moment is vertical bars cut down from a '39 DeLuxe. I want to maintain some obvious visual link to the '39 / '40 Ford, either with the '40 center grille as shown here, or with the '39, but also get an expensive, coachbuilt vibe rather than anything really aggressive. The '39 / '40 Fords have an almost chinless overbite look I'm trying to get away from. Minor tweeking in progress, still.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for your input. What I'm leaning to at the moment is vertical bars cut down from a '39 DeLuxe. I want to maintain some obvious visual link to the '39 / '40 Ford, either with the '40 center grille as shown here, or with the '39, but also get an expensive, coachbuilt vibe rather than anything really aggressive. The '39 / '40 Fords have an almost chinless overbite look I'm trying to get away from. Minor tweeking in progress, still.

Gotcha ! Will the '40 headlight bezels fit in the '37 holes ? They are definitely more "upscale" with the finned eyebrows than the '37-'39.

Gotcha ! Will the '40 headlight bezels fit in the '37 holes ? They are definitely more "upscale" with the finned eyebrows than the '37-'39.

One of the reasons I'm using the '37 fenders is to be able to use the fluted glass lenses from the '37, which to me look classier, kinda like custom cut-crystal, rather than the '40 units with generic 7" round sealed-beams in chromed surrounds. The '37-'39 teardrop shaped lights are, to me, more streamilned and again, more in the 'art Deco' vein that I'm after with this car. I'll probably do another version with the '40 nose, as I like it too, but this one will have the earlier fluted lenses.

PS. Plowboy supplied the fenders in a trade, so I didn't have to butcher a complete kit. Thank you, sir.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The backstory:

I'm going for more of the Deco look with this thing, as it's now supposed to represent a late pre-WW2 custom, completed just after the war with a junkyard Lincoln V12 (and in '48, updated with a GM auto gearbox, though I may go back to the 3-speed to represent pre-war completion). A '40 ford would have been a relatively new car, but a rolled Tudor with front-end damage would have been a cost-effective base for something interesting. Junk '37 fenders and a lot of hammering and lead could have produced what's here.

Build background:

This model started many years ago as a contemporary streetrod...

DSCN0047.jpg

...morphed into a late '40s hot-rod / custom...

DSCN0025.jpg

....morphed again into the early '50s full custom shown in the opening shot of the thread, and morphed yet one more time into what it is today.

DSCN8608.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Dare I say it, the roof line looks a little low. Will you put a little trim down the sides? I think a typically deco spear might go well there. Maybe even a lip to the arches sorry, fenders. I absolutely adore art deco styling, whatever you produce is going to be cool.