Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Ranchero - Finished ! 8-31-12

It's time to start another project and this is it . The 1972 Ranchero by Motor City Resins . I actually purchased it from Scale Modeling By Chris along with the decals and a MAD distributor .

The resin seems to have a flex additive in it , so it's not stiff and brittle like most resin bodies . This doesn't cause any problems as it sands very easily , just like all resin bodies do . The parts detail is very good , especially the front grille . It should be very easy to open it up and see thru to the radiator ! Unfortunately , the one I recieved doesn't fit the body very well and will need a bit of work .

The panel lines on the body will need to be scribed alot , since they aren't very deep . Same goes with the trim around the bed and windshield .

These are the decals I bought from Chris . The quality looks great ! Besides the body stripes there are several Ranchero scripts and F O R D letters for the hood .

I'll be using the chassis from the Monogram '70 Torino kit . It's a unitized chassis , so I'll modify it to represent a full frame with a scratch built rear suspension . It won't be 100 % correct , but since I've never been a "rivet counter" , I don't care ! Enough said about that .

The Revell Mach I kit donates the 351C engine . From what I can tell it's nicely detailed , except it only has Ford Motorsports valve covers and I want stock ones . Guess I'll make my own .

Edited by TooOld

Love these things and really looking forward to seeing your build. Had a '72 Gran Torino about a hundred years ago., always wanted a Ranchero. I really like ALL the Rancheros, come to think of it.

Sounds like you've got a good plan with the donors. I MAY have some 351C stock valve covers if you might think about trading.

I always liked those 72's before they stuck those God awful big bumpers on the 73's. ( I actually had a big bumper 73 Torino Sport) I remember one magazine at the time the 72's came out saying the front looked like a land locked tuna sucking wind. I didn't agree but thought that was pretty funny. Good luck with your build.

I'm an El Camino guy ( owned 6 ) but have always liked this year Ranchero.

Ace-GarageGuy - Where did you get stock cleveland valve covers ? I couldn't find them anywhere . Thanks for the offer , but I've already started making a set .

Bartster - In Florida they are registered as a car .

Kruleworld - The Torino GT kit comes with a really nice 429CJ .

Austin T - I plan on this color combo , minus the vinyl top , and with different wheels .

00000.jpg

It's a Ford...It's big...I'll be watching!

We had a 77 LTDII wagon when I first learned to drive, which was a later variation of this platform. There was a Ranchero available in 77 too. Not as nice a front end as this, though.

Edited by Tony T

I managed to get a little bit done the last few days , nothing pretty to look at .

Washed , sanded , and primed all the resin pieces . The only thing I found that needed to be fixed was the top of the driver side door . Some 2-part putty and now it matches the passenger side .

Edited by TooOld

While the parts were soaking I also worked on the frame . The top frame is from the Torino . I want to modify it to a full frame , like the resin one on the bottom .

After some cutting I added some 1/8 square tube and primer . Some grinding to remove stuff from the floor and some more primer . Then double checked the fit in the body .

Edited by TooOld

Next I added the crossmember from the resin frame

Then added spring buckets and trailing arm mounts to the frame and axle housing . The lower arms and springs are from the parts box . Still looking for some smaller springs .

Added the rest of the suspension mounts and made the shocks and upper arms .

After some primer I sprayed the floor with some Rustoleum Textured paint and then with some matte black . The frame itself will be gloss black .

That's all for now . I'll have some more in a few days .

Edited by TooOld

I've made a little progress in the last week or so . Mainly , the engine is finished . Also have the rear suspension pieces finished but not installed yet .

Here are photos of the engine .

Edited by TooOld