Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kandy 62 Impala Lowrider.

chris_thobe

I've never been a big lowrider fan , but have always admired the craftsmanship that goes into creating them . You have definetly built an incredible looking '62 Chevy ! Your paint work combined with all the chrome is just awesome ! Continuing the paint onto the underside is really cool . First time I've ever seen that done . I'm looking forward to seeing more , so please keep posting here .

And WELCOME to the MCM Forum !

Let me say 3 things - Welcome to the forum, Chris. WOW!! and SHINY :) :) :) RULES!

Now can you answer a question? When you're laying down all that tape, what do you do when you end a piece of tape at an intersection? Cut it with a razor blade, x-acto?

Like others, I am in awe of your paint skills! I am still trying to master the airbrush and know that it is just a matter of practice and patience!

Not a big fan of lowriders but have to admit that to do what you did requires some major talent and a lot of patience.

Welcome to the forum and keep them coming!

Dang that looks like ######. Your not even good at this whole model building thing are you.

J/K Chris, you know just how much I love that model car. I'd love to own that it one day. Just say the word.

Edited by H.A.K

That interior is a heck of a trip man!

Nailed it el perfecto! Just when I thought there were enough patterns on that bod, There were more! The underside floorpans rocks! The whole color scheme is like taking a 10 roll Life Saver sampler pack and putting all the candies in your mouth at the same time Dangerous but ever so delicious at the same time. The interior could be marketed as an aphrodisiac. (Who needs Shark fin soup?) Total chick magnet!

I'm in love with every color and every line.

The detail goes beyond expression bro.

Keep em bouncin'...

WOW, Thanks everyone for all the compliments. It means ALOT to me. I don't even know where to start... the masking of this beast was all done with a hobby knife with 2 blades in it. Took a piece of 2 inch masking tape about 10 in long and stuck it to my cutting mat. Then I took the 2 bladed knife and started cutting strips and laying out the patterns. Each color had to be masked off seperately. I stuck the pattern lines down really good and then when I masked each section off, I stuck all of the tape on my hand or tee shirt before sticking it on the car to make it not very sticky. This is so when I untape each section, my thin pattern lines stay stuck to the car.

Thanks again everyone for making me feel so welcome!

Thanks! I bought the PE kit for this but because of the amount of Customizing I didn't get to use any of it for the interior. I mainly just got to use the emblems and the grille. The kit looks like it would give a ton of detail to the stock interior though!

What's up Chris, Nice job on the deuce bro, I need to start with the patterns too ;) I have a question, when you lay the small strips of tape to make your patterns, then you paint each pattern individually, to mask off each one, what tape to you use? What I mean is that you can't just mask off each pattern without putting tape over next set of patterns. Its a little confusing the way I'm asking I think.

Edited by Mazdat

What's up Chris, Nice job on the deuce bro, I need to start with the patterns too ;) I have a question, when you lay the small strips of tape to make your patterns, then you paint each pattern individually, to mask off each one, what tape to you use? What I mean is that you can't just mask off each pattern without putting tape over next set of patterns. Its a little confusing the way I'm asking I think.

I use a piece of 2 inch masking tape and stick it to my cutting mat then take a hobby knife with 2 blades in it and cut real thin strips.

DSCN0571.jpg

Lay down ALL patterns first.

DSCN0555.jpg

Then tape up one section and lay down a thin layer of kandy, untape and tape another section off, and keep repeating til all sections are finished, then pull off all the pattern lines and you will be left with basecolor lines between all the kandy colors.

DSCN0557.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg