Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Tale of Two Widows

2002p51

A week or two ago I posted a couple of photos of the "new" Revell '57 Chevy "Black Widow" that I built.

Now that I have that done I can finally use it to replace this in my collection:

57old-vi.jpg

(I'm sorry, I know this is hard on the eyes! :lol: )

I built this more than 30 years ago, sometime in the '70s in fact. It's wrong on so many levels. I made it from the venerable old AMT Bel Air hardtop to which I added the 'B' pillar, completely ignoring the fact that the hardtop had a lower and shorter roof line. The side trim came from that awful old Revell '55 Chevy kit from the '60s. Of course, there's those 5-lug wheels, and it was obviously hand lettered.

So now I can strip it for useable parts and dump it 'cause, after all, which one would you keep?

57new-vi.jpg

:D

I would keep it! Not so many modeler can say that they have a model build 30 years ago, and it show how many progress you did.

Oh I have lots of models that old and older. It's hard for me to think about this, but 30 years ago was "only" 1982! I still have many, many of the models I built throughout the '70s and even a couple from the '60s.

For example this Galaxie:

hm04-vi.jpg

I repainted and re-decaled this model in the early '80s, (right after Fred Cady decals first became available) but the original work was all done in 1963 when the AMT annual first came out.

The problem I have with that old '57 is that every time I look at it, all I can see are the many things wrong with it! :lol:

Like already said.

clean it up and display it proudly. no way on gods green earth would I take it apart for a redo.

I have about a dozen old builtups that either I've built or I bought as already done.

I've taken them down off the shelf numerous times to redo one or two, and I can't do it and they always go right back on the shelf with maybe just a dusting. Right alongside with much higher quality builds I have.

Edited by gtx6970

I vote for you to keep it as is! It's a cool piece of your history! Like a 1:1 car sitting in a garage it's not eating any hay! I did the same thing with a '55, turning it into a two door post from the old Revell kit before the AMT '55 was released. Wish I still had it.

Keep that one, it's a piece of your Modeling History, and I dig it very much. It looks very, very good next to "Real" Black Widow. I never do any upgrades to my older builds, never throw them away or take apart, it's nice to see the improvement of building skills when watching older builds.

Your Black Widows look good, it would be shame to dump older one away. :rolleyes:

Keep it. As someone else stated here, sometimes sharing a build like this along with a more recent build illustrates to newbies to the hobby, that it's all about progress, not perfection!! I love seeing examples of a great modeler's humble beginnings. It provides reassurance that with practice will come improvement. Thanks for sharing them both!!

I vote 'keep it as-is' as well.

Also- if I'm not too late, I'd also say keep the Mario Andretti #11 Mercury you painted the wrong colors the way it is too. So what if the car didn't really exist- it looks good, and might net you a few priceless looks at shows.

Oh I have lots of models that old and older. It's hard for me to think about this, but 30 years ago was "only" 1982! I still have many, many of the models I built throughout the '70s and even a couple from the '60s.

For example this Galaxie:

hm04-vi.jpg

I repainted and re-decaled this model in the early '80s, (right after Fred Cady decals first became available) but the original work was all done in 1963 when the AMT annual first came out.

The problem I have with that old '57 is that every time I look at it, all I can see are the many things wrong with it! :lol:

You built it many years ago and did a great job on it, so don't dismantle it and just put it in your display case.

i say keep it!!!! heck i wish i still had more of my old models but most of those old kits are looong gone. and in the trash the only 1 that survived is my 37 ford p/u truck die cast model. that i made in to a rat rod flat bed truck i used to have 3 37 fords 2 as panel truck kits and the 3rd one a metal 37 p/u.