Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Convertible with Fade Aways

Ajay

This is another one I've been playing around with so while I was shooting the Hornet I thought I'd take a couple of pics. I've robbed the fade away fenders from the 48 Coupe kit but the thing I didn't like about them was how high they joined the rear fender. so I took out a "vee" section to reduce the height in the rear. The drawback is that I've got to re-scribe the door lines - I've made a start on them but it's a job I hate as they're never as good as the original ones. Anyways a picture is worth a thousand words as they say !.

Thanks for looking.

Andy

48ford2.jpg

48ford.jpg

Edited by Ajay

Looking good Andy,I digs it! What are those,'58-59 Caddy caps in those whitewalls? Look good on it whatever they are! :D

Thanks Stephen

If I recall correctly the Caddy hubcaps were from SJS Details (they've been in my spares box a long time !)

Cheers

Andy.

This is another one I've been playing around with so while I was shooting the Hornet I thought I'd take a couple of pics. I've robbed the fade away fenders from the 48 Coupe kit but the thing I didn't like about them was how high they joined the rear fender. so I took out a "vee" section to reduce the height in the rear. The drawback is that I've got to re-scribe the door lines - I've made a start on them but it's a job I hate as they're never as good as the original ones. Anyways a picture is worth a thousand words as they say !.

Thanks for looking.

Andy

http://www.trainshack.com/browse.cfm/atlas-snap-saw/4,4115.html

^^ I find these (combined with a masking tape guide and a steady hand) are good for starting straight and in-scale door lines when they have to be scribed or corrected. Start with the saw, finish with a scriber or even a new piece of sandpaper inserted into the door line to clean things up and remove fuzzed up styrene from the door line.

• 1 month later...

Very nice. :)B) I also like the Caddy 'caps, they look good against that classy deep blue and the sweeping lines of your modified fadeaways. It's interesting, I've now seen several builds where builders either raised or lowered the line of the fadeaways. In virtually every instance it was an improvement over the shape Revell had chosen. Certainly in your case, by matching the shadow line of the fadeaway to the crest on the skirts, the result is far more graceful and elegant line than what you started from. On another build I liked, the modeler had raised the fadeway so it joined just above the wheel well opening. That looked nice, too.

that is really nice man! nice paintwork......what color is planned for the interior? i think white would look great.

cheers

bryan

Thanks Bryan, Yeah I'm planning on a white interior with blue inserts (just to break up the white a bit).

Hopefully I'll get a bit more done over ther weekend.

Cheers

Andy