Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

My finished 53 Ford Pickup. Completed project # 1.

Finally I'm able to post pictures of this finished pickup. The paint is Testors One Coat color Deja Blue with Duplicolor clearcoat, polished. The emblems, door handles & wipers were sanded off & I added chromed door handles & wipers from my parts box. The Cadillac engine from the AMT 49 Ford kit is wired & plumbed. The Caddy air cleaner is a resin piece from RMCOMD. I added a washer fluid container with a line to a wiper motor, a master cylinder with brake lines, a wired battery, a horn and an aluminum radiator cap & overflow line in the engine compartment.

The grille was opened from behind. The chromed, reversed wheels & radial tires are from the Revell chopped 49 Merc kit (the tire treads were sanded & i added wire valve stems). Parts box bumperettes on the front and 59 Caddy bullet taillight lenses in the custom rear kit fenders. The CHMSL on the rear of the cab is a custom taillight from the 49 Ford kit with a red MV lens. The antenna is a dot-matrix printer pin with a short length of surgical stainless tubing.

The tonneau cover on the pickup bed is flocked in the same color blue as the seat and the snaps are pin heads. I made the inner door panels from sheet plastic, thin plastic strips, BMF and resin door handles & window cranks from RMCOMD. The steering column shifter and turn signal stalk are pieces of shirt pins. The dashboard has gauge faces covered with clear epoxy for a lens and a photo-etched metal radio face.

The chassis is paint detailed and the exhaust is solder wire with aluminum "Smithy Can" mufflers with aluminum tubing exhaust tips. I should not have used the torque tube that came in the kit and should have used a piece of aluminum tubing with parts box universal joints... but it's too late for that now...

Thanks for looking everyone and, as always, comments, etc., are welcomed.

THREEQUARTERFRONT800x539.jpg?t=1345234251

SIDEVIEW800x594.jpg?t=1345234229

REARVIEW800x594.jpg?t=1345234204

CHASSIS800x589.jpg?t=1345234181

ENGINE800x523.jpg?t=1345234159

INTERIORBEFOREASSEMBLY800x596.jpg?t=1345234126

Wow! Where do I start? This model is a great display of creative parts swapping and customizing! I like the bumperettes, the flocked bed cover and interior. The underhood detail is excellent! Nice color, too!

One odd thing caught my eye. In the second photo the front wheels look like they are a bit far back, but in the chassis photo, they look farther forward. Maybe it's the angle of the photo. Great model!

Sam

Thanks for the kind words guys. I started out building this model with no intentions of adding a lot of details, however, the more I got into it... well you know how that goes. I had fun with this build. Your right Sam, The front wheels do sit a bit far back... but too late now... LOL. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

Asume build, great color and detail. How did you make those headlight visors/shades??? l have not seen any real ones in years....

The headlight things are parts available from Detail Master. They make sets of them to fit either the large single headlights or the smaller dual headlights.

Beautiful paint Richard, and the Caddy tail lights are just right on this!

I started out building this model with no intentions of adding a lot of details, however, the more I got into it... well you know how that goes.

I know that feeling all too well! :D

Edited by Custom Mike