Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Firebird

am73grand

Finished this one earlier this week. Everything came from the parts box except the wheels. Here is what I started with

getattachment3-vi.jpg

I grafted the '75 parts onto a '77 Blackbird body.

Picture5-vi.jpg

Picture006-vi.jpg

Here's what I ended up with. This is a curbside as I had to really chop up the chassis to get it to sit this low with these wheels. Seats, steering column steering wheel are custom parts from the '57 Ford. Ground effects came from a '74 formula and a modern Camaro. Brakes...I have no idea they were in the parts box. Wheels are from Aoshima. Paint is Testors black lacquer with "Wet Look Clear"

Picture017-vi.jpg

Picture018-vi.jpg

Picture016-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

I am ammazed by what you have mannaged to put together form spare parts. I, too, would like to see some W.I.P. pictures; in particular, the front fenders. It looks like there's more going on here than you let on.

P.S.: I just got a can of testors "Wet look" and was wondering how you like it.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you all like it. I wanted to build a custom 74/75 bird but didn't want to chop up an original. Because both the '75 Formula and '77 "Blackbird" are actually different versions of the same body the fenders lined right up with doors. It really was that easy. There are strips of plastic inside the fenders/doors acting as braces holding the nose on. The scoops on the lower fenders are from a '69 T/A.The hood I actually used on this is a '76 Formula hood. One of my buddies swapped me for the '75 hood.

As for the "Wet Look Clear" I love it. It dries in days and rubbing it down with some #2 Novus then hitting it with some wax really brings out the shine.