Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Impala mild custom

mopar68

Hey folks, I've been doing alot of looking and learning here, so I suppose it's time to contribute to the forum in some way :D

Here's my Revell 1960 Impala so far. It was meant to be fairly box stock, but as usual the mods got out of hand and the project stalled. I have recently revived it though; here's hoping I can get the thing finished soon :)

Well to start with, she needed some tubbing to fit pegasus T's under there. Unfortunately Chevrolet didn't consider styrene maniacs like me when they designed the chassis- I had to cut the rails out :lol:

10052011164.jpg

17052011181.jpg

12072011258.jpg

I don't know why I bothered piecing the original rails back together, next time remind me to just start from scratch :lol:

Anyway, after some serious cutting, almost losing a thumb ( :rolleyes: ) and hours of sanding, I got the wanted stance.

12072011261.jpg

Well, at least I made it possible. The suspension still needs doing :D

Here's the rear-

28072012570.jpg

28072012562.jpg

It's a four link, with airbags. Resin ones are sitting there for the mockup, I'll use the O-ring ones I made in final assembley. Front suspension will be stock, just lowered over airbags.

Engine's done. It's the kit's 348 Tri Power, dressed up a little with plug wires, a spares box air cleaner and scratched headers/pulley system.

DSCF9905.jpg

From there I jumped into the interior (well, metaphorically speaking :P ). Heres where most of the mods are planned. So far, scratched back seat and centre console (and steering wheel, but I'm gonna redo that so it doesn't count), plus I converted the dash to RHD (don't worry, it's all engineered :D ). Currently working on the front seat, then I'll get some more resin and cast both seats, 'cos I'm too lazy to scratch duplicates lol.

The back seat is sitting up front for the mockup :D

30082012579.jpg

30082012586.jpg

04092012588.jpg

Well that's it for now, more progress as time allows. Thanks for looking :D

Comments/criticizm welcome ;)

Unfortunately Chevrolet didn't consider styrene maniacs like me when they designed the chassis- I had to cut the rails out :lol:

Chevrolet Didn't think of putting too big wheels on their cars! :lol:

Interesting project. Overall I don't like those wheels and tires, and not that modern interior, but you do GREAT job, so I'll be following this one for sure.

Wow, thank you so much for the comments people, I really appreciate it. It really means alot coming from such a talented buch of builders!

Jason, the the suspension tabs were cut from 0.5mm (0.020 in inches I think) styrene sheet, and filed to shape. They were pretty fiddly, especially the ones that are on an angle :D

The bars and ends were made from K&S tube. I can post up a little tutorial if you like?

Thanks for following along fellas, more soon fingers crossed :)

Jason, the the suspension tabs were cut from 0.5mm (0.020 in inches I think) styrene sheet, and filed to shape. They were pretty fiddly, especially the ones that are on an angle :D

The bars and ends were made from K&S tube. I can post up a little tutorial if you like?

Yea man, that would be great! I don't have much supplies so i just use what I have. I've been trying to make tabs out of the little number tabs off the parts trees. Worked great for the front suspension but not so much for the linkage.

Great tutorial, very detailed and helpful. I would love to see a tutorial on the tabs or even how you go about building any of your air ride setup. Do you scratch build everything, like the air tank, compressor, etc.?

You do some really clean work and I appreciate you taking the time to make tutorials. Thanks again buddy

Thanks heaps fellas, I really appreciate all the positive feedback :D

Thanks Jason, very much appreciated :) This is my first time trying an air ride setup, but yep, I do plan on scratch building the rest of the components :)

Here is a pic of one of the airbags I will use in final assembly.

DSCF9912.jpg

The method I used to make them is all thanks to member here Cool Hand, in fact alot of my scratch building has been inspired by his work. Basically it’s just K&S tube rod ends stuck in a modified pop rivet, with O-rings slid over the top.

I'll do up some more tutorials, or just take lots of pics as I build them and post them here :)

More progress over the weekend hopefully. ATM I’m studying for my final exams next month, so that’s kinda holding up updates :D

Edited by mopar68

• 3 weeks later...