Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blown '69 Chrysler 300 (Updated 9/16/2012)

W-409

Just finished two builds in DragRacing Models Section, so it's time to start two new! Other one is this '69 Chrysler 300. I'm using Resin body by AirTrax. It was bought as "damaged" casting... Overall it looks very good, and I can't see a reason why it is Damaged...

At First, I was going to use Revell's Pro Sportsman Chevy Chassis, but when I found spare '64 Dodge 330 chassis, I had to try it. It's just correct width, and wheel base is pretty good too- only little adjustments on the front need to be done.

P9080427.jpg

P9080428.jpg

P9080429.jpg

P9080434.jpg

P9080436.jpg

Edited by W-409

I started building by removing all of the excess resin from the window openings, and the engine bay etc. I used this kind of tool which is shown in the picture below, very good tool and no need for cleaning things with sandpaper.

P9090523.jpg

Then I cut the front frame, and added some extra length for it with styrene rod. Needs some cleaning, but now it's correct shape from the front.

P9090519.jpg

P9090526.jpg

I found correct front axle from my spare parts box. It's pretty close of actual Dodge 330 axle.

P9090521.jpg

Rear axle will be from Revell's Hemi Dart kit, but this is the rear axle for 440 version.

P9090532.jpg

Engine will be 426 Hemi with Blower. I took this engine from my parts box, it's quite rough, but will be rebuilt completely. Luckily this engine is big enough to fill that giant engine bay of this car.

P9090527.jpg

P9090529.jpg

I started filling that Metal Axle hole with styrene tube:

P9090530.jpg

P9090531.jpg

Then I sanded this smooth, so oil pan can be installed, when the block is repainted.

P9090533.jpg

Cool project !

Now , not that it truly matters one iota here , but some-thing that I feel is worth mentioning :

The 1969 Chrysler 300 and its similar siblings (New Yorker , Imperial , Monaco / Polara , Fury) are what Chrysler calls "C" Body . This carline had a front sub-frame while the rest of the car was "Unitized" (think : G.M. "F" and "X" bodies ; Camaro , Nova , et al.).

Again , this info doesn't / shouldn't affect your project !

Your choice of a mid-sized chassis ( Coronet , Charger , Road Runner , et al.) is absolutely fine B) for its intended purpose , and is certainly more workable in this capacity .

I divulge ...

I'm quite looking forward to following your progress . That Super Stock Hemi / TorqueFlite combo is a great choice !

Thanks for the comments! They keep me motivated.

Casey: Yes, it's AirTrax body. And really good one, I think. Now I have three Chrysler 300 Model kits, '57, '55 and now '69.

Ricky: Yep, it looks very good to me also. I've always liked this body style-very big sized and fun when it has lots of power. This'll be a Bit same style as this Finnish '67 Plymouth Vip TwinTurbo Drag Car, which just run 7,95 with Drag Radials. http://kuvia.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat+2012/FHRA/Bl%C3%A5klader+August+Nats+/Sunnuntai/MOP_9471.jpg Even if my build will not have turbos.

Bob: These are really worth checking out, as other AirTrax bodies, I've seen. Of course these are not cheap, but that's the way with all Resin kits.

John: Heh, I just picked the chassis from somekind of Mopar, and found the '64 330 chassis. I'm not a Mopar expert myself, but nice to hear that it's something what can be used. ;) Does anyone know where that Hemi engine is from? It's molded in black.

I should have an update later today, if everything goes alright. :D

Not much done since the latest update, some work with the engine, but no primer painted yet. Maybe after next sanding?

Only picture, for now, is about these '64 Dodge 330 parts, I found from my parts box. I don't know which ones I'll be using, but that front axle is very helpful. I'm going to use it, and then I can move that other axle to '71 Cuda Pro Stocker project. That pile of parts in front of everything, is interior floor... I'm going to glue it together to see, if I can use it or not.

P9130570.jpg

As I said, not much done, just wanted to show you that I'm doing something other than eating chocolate. :lol:

Matti: Thanks! I've liked especially this '69 Chrysler 300 and it's very nice in original condition too. B)

Tom: Don't know about body corrections, or differences between the original car, but if this is Mastered by Juha Airio, I'm sure that it's just right. :lol: And Thanks!

Carl: Thanx! Yup, I was suprised too about how that chassis fits inside the body. Usually when I find some parts that can MAYBE be used, they don't fit at all.

Roger: Thanks!

John: Thanks, the tool is made by Trumpeter. I will take a photo of it tomorrow, could not find one from Google.

I should have an update soon, today I was working on the Simca Gasser on the Community Builds section. Maybe tomorrow.

Edited by W-409

Thanks Nick! Actually if it's possible, a reference picture from firewall would help alot. And if you have pictures of the whole front suspension (upper or lower side, doesn't matter), they would be very helpful.

And thanks Darrick! It's great to have people who are watching, it keeps me going.

Nick: Thanks for the great pictures! Those help alot already.

And thanks, Jim and Craig! :P

Here's a picture of the tool, I used to open windows and engine bay area, very good tool by Trumpeter:

P9150067.jpg'

Sorry guys, No more progress yet. I was busy with the Simca Gasser & Super Stock Pontiac. But tomorrow I'm going to do something for this, and that's sure. ;)

Alright guys, here we have a little update. ;)

I started by cutting those parts (which are trying to be upper A-Arms) off, because they were incorrect place. Wheels would have been too far back. Then I glued them on right place, and next I'm going to see how the front suspension fits now, and if it needs some modifications.

Other A-Arm cut off.

P9160068.jpg

Here is the Other one moved forward, other one still in original position:

P9160069.jpg

Both moved:

P9160072.jpg

Then I started the interior work... I glued those parts what were left from '64 Dodge's cabin together. They fit nicely, but needed some widening. Next I have to add there some styrene and build new DriveShaft tunnel, maybe from aluminium, maybe from thin plastic, don't know yet.

Interior glued together:

P9160073.jpg

Wide Enough?

P9160074.jpg