Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

You could definitely do that, but, it hardly seems worth the trouble to me whem Norm at R&M Co. of MD has already done it for ya ... and has caps cast in tan, no less!

Hey maybe it's all just a big conspiracy to sell more aftermarket parts? They say "Keep making mistakes, and we'll keep making corrections!" :D

Hey maybe it's all just a big conspiracy to sell more aftermarket parts? They say "Keep making mistakes, and we'll keep making corrections!" :D

Thats a positive spin on this!

I personally think it's amusing from both sides of the fence the whole 7 cylinder thing. Didn't intend to insult anyone. :)

Another possibility regarding the rocker covers ( colloq. , "Valve Covers" ) is this : there were two different arrangements for Hemi valve covers in 1970 !

- "49 State" models (i.e. , non-California-destined builds) had the 1969-arrangement .

- "Cleaner Air Package" , code "N95" models had a California-specific breather (in addition to , and something completely un-detectable in 25th scale , would be the fuel tank cap) . This was a concession to Evaporative Emissions Controls ( "EEC" ) ; no more raw , unburned hydrocarbons (gasoline vapours) were vented to the atmosphere . A return line was implemented ; this line was a predecessor to the 1972 model year's Charcoal Cannister ( 50 State ) , but without the myriad vacuum lines .

It consisted of a Crankcase Breather with two ports ; one --the larger-diametre port-- attached to the air cleaner's base ; the smaller-diametre line connected via a short-length rubber hose to a steel return line . This was the Vapor Return Line , which was ported to the fuel tank . PCV was , in es , unchanged from its prior duties .

I don't know what "1:1" car that Revell based its (excellent) 1970 HemiCuda on --if at all . Perhaps Tim Boyd , et al. , could shed some light on Revell's "1:1" reference materials ?

(P.S. : Casey , et al. : If this posting is in the incorrect one-of-two threads about this kit , please feel free to move it to its appropriate section :) )

Edited by 1972coronet

Another possibility regarding the rocker covers ( colloq. , "Valve Covers" ) is this : there were two different arrangements for Hemi valve covers in 1970 !

- "49 State" models (i.e. , non-California-destined builds) had the 1969-arrangement .

- "Cleaner Air Package" , code "N95" models had a California-specific breather (in addition to , and something completely un-detectable in 25th scale , would be the fuel tank cap) . This was a concession to Evaporative Emissions Controls ( "EEC" ) ; no more raw , unburned hydrocarbons (gasoline vapours) were vented to the atmosphere . A return line was implemented ; this line was a predecessor to the 1972 model year's Charcoal Cannister ( 50 State ) , but without the myriad vacuum lines .

It consisted of a Crankcase Breather with two ports ; one --the larger-diametre port-- attached to the air cleaner's base ; the smaller-diametre line connected via a short-length rubber hose to a steel return line . This was the Vapor Return Line , which was ported to the fuel tank . PCV was , in es , unchanged from its prior duties .

I don't know what "1:1" car that Revell based its (excellent) 1970 HemiCuda on --if at all . Perhaps Tim Boyd , et al. , could shed some light on Revell's "1:1" reference materials ?

(P.S. : Casey , et al. : If this posting is in the incorrect one-of-two threads about this kit , please feel free to move it to its appropriate section :) )

John....I don't know which car or cars Revell used to create their kit.

What I meant by that statement is that during the period when I (and several others) were recommending this as a future kit subject, I sent them copies of several articles in the Mopar mags on '70 'cudas that were restored correctly and equipped with the right factory options that I wanted to see Revell include in the kit.

This was between 2008 and 2010 and my reference materials from that period seem to have gone temporarily missing, but if I recall correctly, one or several of these examples were Mopar Action Magazine "Reference Restorations" (I assume you would be very familiar with that mag and how they use that term). There may have been one from Musclecar Review as well.

Let me know if I missed the intent of your question, or if I can add any further insight...

Best regards...TIM

Has anyone seen this kit at their local Hobby Lobby yet?

Not yet. There was a guy going over the rack at the one I visited. So, maybe they're getting ready for a reset. That's where I'll be getting mine from with the 40% off coupon. That way, I won't have much money invested in the parts for my JoHan or MPC 'Cuda. ;)

I was another one that supplied reference materials. The raisin bran hood and separate console were two things that I was pushing for, along with a good fit for the Dart 383 and/or Charger Daytona 440. I also provided a list of options to include with various future releases (to get us to buy those releases also) - things like rear spoiler, rear window louvers, steel wheels, base hubcaps, etc. I provided pics from Hamtramck showing the original factory literature and then a pic(s) of my own taken at Carlisle showing the item. I think I suggested that the torque boxes be separate parts to be added as desired, but I didn't think they would go for it.

I'm still debating the body....would you agree this is an accurate side view without significant camera distortion?

1970-Plymouth-Cuda-440.jpg

That is distorted. Too "wide" an angle. A picture should be shot with about a 50mm lens, if i am correct, to closely resemble what the human eye sees.

It looks distorted to me anyhow...

Comparing photos will always be a problem. Both photos look distorted to me. We need to take measurements and compare them to scale measurements. I use a cloth tape measure and bring it to car shows for this sort of thing.

Overall, I think the kit body looks pretty good - not perfect, but pretty good, but that is without taking any measurements. Still, the problems pointed out ARE problems that can detract from the overall build if you are the type to worry about it..

I am building the 'Cuda right now, and the only things I don't like so far is the wheel opening lips and the engine that is too far away from the firewall, the engine is installed in the engine bay and I can see the entire bellhousing. You can see what I mean just by looking at the engine pictures on the box.

I agree but can't find a good side view shot that I'd consider "correct." If you can find a better one, please post it or direct me to it.

It is hard to find good, direct side shots of cars (or dashboards!)

Here is the AAR, are the side dimensions pretty much the same as the Hemi…?

1970_Plymouth_340_AAR_Cuda_zpsd4eb34f3.j

Some of my observations on the new `Cuda so far:

The interior/engine bay dog house was severely warped and distorted. Two well places slices and I should be able to clamp it together.

The instructions mention to omit decals #00-00-00 Huh? They're pointing out the license plates. I don't get it….

Same goes for painting the dashboard body color. Huh?

The door mirrors look like they might be uber-finicky to install. Any feedback on these please?

My chrome is perfect, minimal flash on the chassis.

I have everything prepared for primer. When I shoot the `68 I'll shoot the `70 too.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Working on the Cuda right now, and I just noticed that there's a hole on top of the right inner fender, and nothing goes there... Too late for mine, but for those who will be building the cuda, that hole should be filled.

The door mirrors look like they might be uber-finicky to install. Any feedback on these please?

I had no issues with the door mirrors on two separate builds. The contact area with the body is sufficient for holding them in place if the glue makes good contact on unpainted mating surfaces.

One of my builds was subsequently shipped out of state and returned for photography and came back all in one piece. Pinning the mirror is always a plus but in this case I would consider it optional instead of mandatory.

Hope that helps...TIM

Working on the Cuda right now, and I just noticed that there's a hole on top of the right inner fender, and nothing goes there... Too late for mine, but for those who will be building the cuda, that hole should be filled.

I don't recall seeing that hole on either of my completed builds. I'll try to check on them later this evening and see if I see them. TB

Interesting...looking at the AAR brochure (?) got me thinking.

Did Goodrich ever supply tyres as "standard" to any of the Manufacturers of Muscle cars of the era? :unsure:

From what I recall, BFG Radial T/A's started coming on the market around 1974/75 or so. They were top end, big buck items and a source of real prestige for those who could afford them. OEM availability came a number of years later though I have to admit, I can't recall on what cars or trucks. In any case, they were never available from the factory as OEM equipment on the E-Body Mopars.

I won a set as a prize when I finished 2nd in the Nation in the 1976 MPC Customizing Championship: I could have never afforded them on a part-time college student budget...they were terrific tires and a real step up from the factory Goodyear Polyglas tires....TIM

Here's a good side view IMO. When compared to the model, it really shows how stubby and short looking the front end is from the front of the fender well to the front of the fender.

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2013/01/my_classic_garage_cuda_6.jpg

Here's a thread where I put a photo of a built model that is the same color. It also shows how the ends of the rear bumper is shaped wrong. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82520&page=9

John....I don't know which car or cars Revell used to create their kit.

What I meant by that statement is that during the period when I (and several others) were recommending this as a future kit subject, I sent them copies of several articles in the Mopar mags on '70 'cudas that were restored correctly and equipped with the right factory options that I wanted to see Revell include in the kit.

This was between 2008 and 2010 and my reference materials from that period seem to have gone temporarily missing, but if I recall correctly, one or several of these examples were Mopar Action Magazine "Reference Restorations" (I assume you would be very familiar with that mag and how they use that term). There may have been one from Musclecar Review as well.

Let me know if I missed the intent of your question, or if I can add any further insight...

Best regards...TIM

Tim - You have provided a perfect reply to my inquiry :) . Thanks much for your input (as always) :) .

And , yes , Mopar Action is my number one source for not only its tech articles (Ehrenberg's advice has helped me with my '72 Coronet on many occasions , directly or indirectly) , but for the convoluted humour of its authors / contributors ( "Tony DeFeo" , indeed ! Nice nom-de-plume ! Ha ha ha ...) , and its featured vehicles .

I was another one that supplied reference materials. The raisin bran hood and separate console were two things that I was pushing for, along with a good fit for the Dart 383 and/or Charger Daytona 440. I also provided a list of options to include with various future releases (to get us to buy those releases also) - things like rear spoiler, rear window louvers, steel wheels, base hubcaps, etc. I provided pics from Hamtramck showing the original factory literature and then a pic(s) of my own taken at Carlisle showing the item. I think I suggested that the torque boxes be separate parts to be added as desired, but I didn't think they would go for it.

VRM ( I apologise for not noting your true name ) - Hamtramck Historical is an invaluable source for info and original brochures , photos , etc. If properly navigated , one could build a perfect scale replica of virtually any year MoPar !

In addition to the items you vyed for : I'd like to see separate vinyl top trim (e.g. , the stainless trim which ran from quarter window , around the backlight / sailpanel , and back to the opposing-side's quarter window ) and separate wheel house mouldings B)