Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

Well it's been over 2 years since it was released.  I imagine the licensing to make it specifically a Sox & Martin Cuda only lasted for the 1st run of kits.  I'm sure it'll be back around in a year or two as some generic Pro Stock - at which point everyone will complain about it being a boring and unnecessary reissue.

As in, correcting the distributor cap? I think they fixed that on the Sox & Martin version (which is now discontinued), but I'm pretty sure the body shell was never changed in any way.

For the record, after the Sox & Martin version with the corrected distributor, they did at least one more run of the 2n1 version, which now also has the corrected part.  I got mine about a year ago when my local Hobby Lobby finally decided to start carrying it (they never got in the first run version, which actually worked out well for me).

Chances are that any brick and mortar retailer that has one of these on the shelf will have this newer version.  Buying online or at swap meets is always a carp shoot, you might still get a first run with the 7 nubs. (Maybe there's a way to tell by a code on the box somewhere?  Never researched it because I'm not planning to buy any additional ones)

For the record, after the Sox & Martin version with the corrected distributor, they did at least one more run of the 2n1 version, which now also has the corrected part.  I got mine about a year ago when my local Hobby Lobby finally decided to start carrying it (they never got in the first run version, which actually worked out well for me).

Chances are that any brick and mortar retailer that has one of these on the shelf will have this newer version.  Buying online or at swap meets is always a carp shoot, you might still get a first run with the 7 nubs. (Maybe there's a way to tell by a code on the box somewhere?  Never researched it because I'm not planning to buy any additional ones)

I too got the S&M version months before I saw the "stock" version at HL. I've always wanted to do the S&M '70 Cuda. Couple months ago I picked up a fairly cleanly built and very restorable JoHan '71 S&M at the local Toy Show very reasonable. I'm gonna graft in the Revell '70 grille and whatever other parts are necessary to convert the better-shaped JoHan body to a '70, then combine the best of the parts of both kits to make a super S&M '70. (I need one to show it losing to my Grumpy's Toy IV.) :D

Idk if you frequent youtube that much but tony angelo just built a cuda drift car he debuted at sema caled project fishtail. Im not a huge fan of the drift scene but its deff something different and may be a fun challenge.

Yeah, l love Hot Rod Garage. Some of the stuff is off the wall but definitely a great show and the cuda is pretty cool.    Thanks.      Jeff 

Ok - I saw one reply on here about the soft window moldings where the poster sent to Revell and revell replied that it would be fixed.  Eventually.  Doen't matter - not sure when/if I'll build another one.  Modeling budget is pretty small these days compared to kit prices.  And kids like their education...lol.   Still, all in all, I like the kit pretty well and am pretty happy with how mine is turning out.  I do wish I might have waited for S&M version to build first.  

I did manage to get the red line on the grille - gotta go back and fill in the passenger side.  It's wider there like the driver's side where the Plymouth decal goes and I left it open.  Took a couple coats of acrylic red, my best small brush, and some really weird breathing.  but I can live with it.  Still got some work to do on the upper grille openings.  Those are kinda vague.

I did sand and file on my window openings to make them more defined and sanded down the trim on wheel openings.   

IMG_20161030_105821336.jpg

IMG_20161101_214018932.jpg

• 11 months later...

The Dec '17 Hot Rod has a nice, almost half page shot of nearly the entire bottom of a factory correct 'cuda. Factory correct in that it's a one-off clone of a factory concept 4-door 'cuda. Interesting view..

I don't get Hot Rod magazine. Any chance you can post some pictures from the article showing us the 4-door 'cuda concept car? If it looks good, it might be interesting to try doing a model of the car.

I don't get Hot Rod magazine. Any chance you can post some pictures from the article showing us the 4-door 'cuda concept car? If it looks good, it might be interesting to try doing a model of the car.

Scott, that car was here locally in PA at the annual Chryslers at Carlisle. Here's a few pics I got of it. There was some info on hand about how it came to be, but I forgot to pick up copies before I left the pavillion.

IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG

HTH! ;)

Scott, that car was here locally in PA at the annual Chryslers at Carlisle. Here's a few pics I got of it. There was some info on hand about how it came to be, but I forgot to pick up copies before I left the pavillion.

IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG

HTH! ;)

Thank you Bill. I'm not sure how I feel about the above 4-door 'cuda. I kind of like it on one hand. On another, I don't. I'm little disappointed to see it would have been a pillared sedan, rather than a true pillarless hardtop. I'm not sure if Chrysler missed the boat on this one or not?

Thank you Bill. I'm not sure how I feel about the above 4-door 'cuda. I kind of like it on one hand. On another, I don't. I'm little disappointed to see it would have been a pillared sedan, rather than a true pillarless hardtop. I'm not sure if Chrysler missed the boat on this one or not?

No boats were missed.

Hmmm............while that four door 'Cuda was an interesting car, I can't help but wonder if things might have looked better if the roof were say 3-4 inches lower. Seems as though the top is almost too big for the car-----maybe ingress/egress was a concern and that's why it's the height that it is?

I do agree that one BIG improvement would be that it was a pillarless hardtop as opposed to a sedan.

......................AND no vinyl roof! ;)

Okay, I did some more research on this 4-door Barracuda. (Not a 'cuda by the way.) The car we've been talking about, and in photos shown here, is not of a Chrysler built or designed car. It's an idea based on a rumored car Chrysler designers came up with back in the day, and may have built a prototype of. There is a pretty good interview on YouTube with the owner/builder of the car. It's a very, very nicely built custom car. The more I saw of the car, the more impressed I became. It is really kind of neat. The rear section of the roof/C pillar area looks a little funky to me. And being a Barracuda, it really should have been a hardtop rather sedan, in my opinion. 

Go check out the video, and the builders website, called 4-door Barracuda. It's pretty cool to see what they've build. And how and why they built it the way they did. It really is a pretty cool car. 

The side windows and doors seem too tall relative to the windshield...IIRC from the build articles I've read, the doors are based off of '71-ish Coronet or Satellite 4dr doors, which would explain the height of the doors. 

Edited by Rob Hall

The side windows and doors seem too tall relative to the windshield...IIRC from the build articles I've read, the doors are based off of '71-ish Coronet or Satellite 4dr doors, which would explain the height of the doors. 

Be careful of judging the car through the photos here. The photos Bill posted here, look a little compressed on the horizontal to me. Looking at other photos on the web, some from same event, the car looks a little better to me. 

Again, I got mixed feelings about this car. The video I saw of it on YouTube (that looks like it taken at the same event), I was very impressed with the thinking, design, and building of this car. It's a very nice build. 

Back to the looks. After seeing more of this car, I no desire to build a 1/25th scale model based on it. It's cool. But not cool enough to want to build a replica of it. What I would like to get my hands on is the fake sales brochure for car. That looks pretty cool. And from what I've read, they've been giving them away at car shows were the car has been displayed. Went hunting on eBay for one. None are showing up there. And I can find no contact info to the builders to see about getting one from them. I need one for my brochure collection. 

The problem w/the car is it uses the aforementioned Coronet doors/side glass, but Barracuda front and rear glass intended for a far lower roofline. It really spoils the appearance. If it were a true factory concept, they wouldn't have cheaped out on the glass...it would either have the front/rear glass made bigger, or the side glass/frames chopped...which would have been preferable. As-is it's awkward at best.

The problem w/the car is it uses the aforementioned Coronet doors/side glass, but Barracuda front and rear glass intended for a far lower roofline. It really spoils the appearance. If it were a true factory concept, they wouldn't have cheaped out on the glass...it would either have the front/rear glass made bigger, or the side glass/frames chopped...which would have been preferable. As-is it's awkward at best.

I'm not 100% sure the 4-door Barracuda uses the actual Coronet doors/side glass (or Satellite for that matter). I got the impression the general look of the roof is based the '71 versions of those cars. If the real car could have shared doors and glass with the upcoming Satellite, it may have been practical to build a production version of the car back in the day. That generation Barracuda and Challenger did share a lot with the upcoming Satellite and Coronet. But, only up to a point. If you go back and read how this present car was build, it required a lot of modifications to even Barracuda sheet metal to make it work. They are claiming 80% of the car's body is built from parts they made themselves.

I'm not 100% sure the 4-door Barracuda uses the actual Coronet doors/side glass (or Satellite for that matter). I got the impression the general look of the roof is based the '71 versions of those cars. If the real car could have shared doors and glass with the upcoming Satellite, it may have been practical to build a production version of the car back in the day. That generation Barracuda and Challenger did share a lot with the upcoming Satellite and Coronet. But, only up to a point. If you go back and read how this present car was build, it required a lot of modifications to even Barracuda sheet metal to make it work. They are claiming 80% of the car's body is built from parts they made themselves.

Definitely 1971-1978 B-body doors -- at least the upper-framing -- on that bad boy . And , you're right ; the E-bodies were the predecessor to the 1971-1978 B-bodies , sharing the cowl / firewall - forward with them . Oddly (or not) the E-bods never got the (dreadful) Rubber-Isolated K-member that the '73 & up B-bods did . Instead , they kept the (inferior) biscuit-style engine mounts until their demise in 1974 . Certainly , the superior spool mounts would have sufficed on the 1971-1972 K-member (just like the 1973-1976 A-bodies) , but ...

A hardtop phantom would have been cleaner looking for sure . Heck , if the builder wanted to go the sedan route , why not graft a roof from a 1971 ad seq. B-body sedan ? That "humpback" around the Barracuda's backlite area kills it .

Definitely 1971-1978 B-body doors -- at least the upper-framing -- on that bad boy . And , you're right ; the E-bodies were the predecessor to the 1971-1978 B-bodies , sharing the cowl / firewall - forward with them . Oddly (or not) the E-bods never got the (dreadful) Rubber-Isolated K-member that the '73 & up B-bods did . Instead , they kept the (inferior) biscuit-style engine mounts until their demise in 1974 . Certainly , the superior spool mounts would have sufficed on the 1971-1972 K-member (just like the 1973-1976 A-bodies) , but ...

A hardtop phantom would have been cleaner looking for sure . Heck , if the builder wanted to go the sedan route , why not graft a roof from a 1971 ad seq. B-body sedan ? That "humpback" around the Barracuda's backlite area kills it .

Again, I'm not sure they actually used old B-body doors on their build. There are pictures of the car in different states of build. I got the impression from watching the video with the owner/builder showing the car, that the doors are custom built. I also got the impression the glass was too. I may have misunderstood what was being told, but it sounded to me, that the on the original prototype, and this car, had a roof style like the upcoming B-body cars. Not the actual door or glass themselves. I maybe wrong.

• 1 month later...

actually have both the johan cuda sox and martin/prostreet 71 and the revel 70 their near enough in scale you might pull it off but the molded in grill is part of the upper grill and panel thought bout do that also but have both sets of decal's old and new didn't see a major difference in the two but it's enough that some parts might change out and some may not .

Ok - I saw one reply on here about the soft window moldings where the poster sent to Revell and revell replied that it would be fixed.  Eventually.  Doen't matter - not sure when/if I'll build another one.  Modeling budget is pretty small these days compared to kit prices.  And kids like their education...lol.   Still, all in all, I like the kit pretty well and am pretty happy with how mine is turning out.  I do wish I might have waited for S&M version to build first.  

I did manage to get the red line on the grille - gotta go back and fill in the passenger side.  It's wider there like the driver's side where the Plymouth decal goes and I left it open.  Took a couple coats of acrylic red, my best small brush, and some really weird breathing.  but I can live with it.  Still got some work to do on the upper grille openings.  Those are kinda vague.

I did sand and file on my window openings to make them more defined and sanded down the trim on wheel openings.   

IMG_20161030_105821336.jpg

IMG_20161101_214018932.jpg

Somehow missed on commenting about this one.☝️Beautiful!