Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sticker shock!

5 cans = $34.99 W/0 Tax...Correct....Being you in Nevada...and no sales tax....Well her in #### CAL we pay 7.75% on the dollar...then again we don't give back to the machines.....just the State...and all ###... :angry: :angry:

Only 7.75%???? That's better than Illinois, which is at minimum 8.25%, depending on what county you're in!

Ohh, you think your sales tax is high... when I was kid, paint was so cheap we paid with napkin scraps. (Enter Monty Python)...

MP: We were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TJ: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TJ: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TJ: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out.

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TJ: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of suphuric acid, work 29-hours a day down mill and pay mill owner for permission to come to work. And when we got home our dad and our mother would kill us and dance about our graves singing 'Hallelujah'

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

The only rattle cans I use are Primers and ones I use as base coats, like rustoleum red brown, I use Testors Alluminum Metalizer as a base coat when ever I spray Pearl colours( I learned this trick from Donn Youst, proving that even after all the years as a model builder and painter I still don't know it all)!

If it has anything to do with the gas prices, it's probably because the wind shifted to the north and someone said there might be a hurricane next year and the "Winter Blend" doesn't smell right and someone in a country we buy oil from, said a cuss word to another person and the guys on the offshore rigs had a party and everyone is hung over and an oil tanker captain thought he saw a Mermaid so they told him to slow down...............that's why everything is more expensive.........so they claim.

If it has anything to do with the gas prices, it's probably because the wind shifted to the north and someone said there might be a hurricane next year and the "Winter Blend" doesn't smell right and someone in a country we buy oil from, said a cuss word to another person and the guys on the offshore rigs had a party and everyone is hung over and an oil tanker captain thought he saw a Mermaid so they told him to slow down...............that's why everything is more expensive.........so they claim.

Dont forget because it was someones uncle cousin's bother's sister dad's brother from another's momma friends brother's cousin nephew sisters brothers cousin inlaw to the person that said the cuss word

Most items here are taxed at 13% (HST or Harmonized Sales Tax, which combines the Provincial & Federal taxes), including hobby supplies and kits. I usually look for the big cans of Krylon to go on sale at Wally World, but do buy hobby sprays from time to time. Very easy to drop $100 at the LHS these days!

Edited by Tony T

Dont forget because it was someones uncle cousin's bother's sister dad's brother from another's momma friends brother's cousin nephew sisters brothers cousin inlaw to the person that said the cuss word

That's some of why I switched to E-85 in mt Chrysler, Price swings aren't near as bad and it's easier to budget for fuel when it's not changing from day to day let alone fill up to fill up!

so in 1966 Pactra spray was 69 cents. today, spry is 6.99. wrigley's chewing gum 5 cents. today anywhere from 99 cents to 1.25 depending where you buy it. gas was maybe 35 cents, cigarettes, too. now they're 4.00 + and 7.00 + respectively. model kits 1.19 to 22.99.

minimum wage 90 cents to 7.25.

i used to laugh at my parents when they told me the "... 3 pieces of candy for a penny" stories, but now realize they weren't kidding!

Edited by southpier

I did not know that about E85, so the price per gallon does not change as often as fuel price's?

E-85 "should" follow pricing set by the Ethanol and Corn futures markets, which are way more stable than the oil and gasoline markets. Reason I say "should" instead of should is that some stations have been know to priced it $.20-$.50 less a gallon vs 87 octane even though the real pricing is closer to $.70-$1.00 a gallon less. That sounds about par for the course in parts of Michigan, and I have found that Dupage and Cook Counties are more expensive than Kane and the E-85 bought in Dupage isn't as good mileage and performance wise as that I've bought in Kane.

With all the taxes, a pack of cigarettes is about $12 here.

Man, I'm glad I don't smoke!

Are you serious ? 12 bucks for a pack of smokes ! Who can afford that ? I don't now or have I ever smoked but my dad used to go through 2 packs a day back in the day. Imagine that now, 24 bucks a day to smoke. What the heck does a carton cost ? Do you have to take out a loan ?

A carton of cigarettes are about 55 dollars a carton here in tennessee. l grew up in chicago and when l was a kid my dad would have me walk to the store for a pack for him in the 70's and they was 55 cents. l am glad l don't smoke but we have to do the best we can in this world with prices going up....

Not sure what it costs to smoke or drink, my 200 is the only regular drinker in my house if I smoke anything it's either tires or electronics. From what I understand, the taxes levied on smokes go towards health insurance for kids in the state of Illinois, so it's not like it's being wasted.

So far I have only found one station that sells the E85 blend here in the Metro area, not I have gone out looking for it though :lol:

There's about 6 within 11 miles from home that carry the stuff, 2 of which didn't work that good and were expensive compared to the oyher 3 that I have bought from. Mileage ain't so hot compaired to 87, but have heard these cars run better on E-85 vs Premium and can verify that the cars like it better than 87!