Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Ebay really that evil?

I still go to swap meets and things, the few that are driving distance from me anyway, but sometimes they don't have much to choose from. I recently drove over an hour to a show and returned with three quarters of my budget just because they didn't have many things I was looking for. Ebay is always open, it's free to browse, and if they don't have what you want just check back in a few days.

I agree that the relentless upward nudging of the fees is sometimes off-putting, but it's just corporate-business-as-usual. Look at the prices of ANYTHING, and you'll see the same upward creep. It's just the way it is.....nothing unusual about ebay trying to wring every last cent out of every opportunity. Going to the grocery store and watching the climbing price of mayonnaise is just as maddening to me.

Peanut Butter for me. Im a Peanut Butter and Jelly freek right off the spoon. Peanut Butter is just outrageously expensive.

Helping my friend sell of her Dad's collection I have now seen the sellers side of things. She gets some of the weirdest questions, requests and suggestions.

eBay should not be that hard or complicated, but some people have nothing better to do than to make things difficult for everybody. As a seller, good look with the nuts and as a buyer, Caveat Emptor! Buyer Beware!

I have been buying off ebay since they came on line and I am happy with it still. My wallet on the other hand....

Jesse C.

I've heard alot

Helping my friend sell of her Dad's collection I have now seen the sellers side of things. She gets some of the weirdest questions, requests and suggestions.

Jesse C.

Similiarly, I've heard a lot of horror stories of the seller side of things from my sister who has been a fairly active eBay seller of Barbie and other similar dolls and accessories for a number of years.....and I've had the joy of hauling 50-100 USPS Priority Mail boxes to the Post Office or UPS Store to drop off for her before...

Let's see,

I can rent a table or spot at an open air flea market, set up and sit in the heat all day waiting for a tiny percentage of passersby who might be interested (and financially liquid enough to buy them) while watching my items melt in the sun and gather dust, then have to pack up all over again and go home, and then unload everything again there,

Or,

For a total 12% or 13% charge (sure I would rather it be only 8% or 9%, not that much difference really from 12% or 13%) I can expose my work to the PLANET and let USPS pick SOLD items up from the front porch in the FREE boxes that they not only provided but delivered.

No gas, no wasted time, no renting a spot, no packing and unpacking

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm-----

Guess which one I pick??

CadillacPat

Have to agree as well

Is ebay perfect?,oh heck no, but is anything else in life these days perfect?, ebay is one of those things that you have to take the good with the bad, or just dont be a seller on there if its that big of deal for you.

Take it or leave it, but ebay is the biggest, and best(for items being sold) out there

Edited by martinfan5

eBay used to be great, for buyers as well as sellers.

Now, not so much.

They've gradually slanted things so much in favor of buyers that it's unfair to the seller.

Sellers are trying to make up the difference by charging more for shipping, which means the bargains are just about gone (for buyers).

I rarely use eBay now, as the shipping has gotten out of hand. The shippers all charge more than before and sellers charge more than actual rates to make up for losses incurred by the increased fees.

I sold a drum to someone who waited three weeks to file a complaint that it was not as described. He claimed damage that didn't exist. I'm sure it was a case of buyer's remorse.

He lied to eBay, telling them that he'd emailed me several times and that I wouldn't cooperate.

They gave me no opportunity to defend myself and sided with the buyer, giving him a full refund and making me pay to have it shipped back. When I opened the box, the buyer had exchanged hardware with inferior pieces. eBay was a vehicle for this guy's means to rip me off.

That was the final straw for me, and I understand it's gotten even worse.

No negative or even neutral feedback against buyers makes no sense to me.

eBay doesn't weed out the problem clients, they just make it easier for buyers to take advantage of sellers and in the process, chase off decent sellers.

I sold a drum to someone who waited three weeks to file a complaint that it was not as described. He claimed damage that didn't exist. I'm sure it was a case of buyer's remorse.

He lied to eBay, telling them that he'd emailed me several times and that I wouldn't cooperate.

They gave me no opportunity to defend myself and sided with the buyer, giving him a full refund and making me pay to have it shipped back. When I opened the box, the buyer had exchanged hardware with inferior pieces. eBay was a vehicle for this guy's means to rip me off.

eBay doesn't weed out the problem clients, they just make it easier for buyers to take advantage of sellers and in the process, chase off decent sellers.

Sums it up for me almost word for word

Like everything it has it's good points and bad.

The way I see the good and bad.

Good:

1.Find some cool old obsolete stuff you'd never have the chance to find otherwise.

2.Learn abit more about our hobbies history. (and find van kits and box arts)

3.Good to sell some of the collection of when you need to thin them out.

Bad:

1.Easy to get excited and spend a heap of dollars.

2.Trying to get people to post to Australia, although 90% of those I've contacted have sent stuff to me I've missed out on a lot of stuff because the seller wouldn't post outside America. They're losing out on a lot of potential dollars.......

3. Getting charged $45 postage from the states, than when it arrives the postage on the box is $28. C'mon guys.

I still get on ebay everyday and the lady that delivers parcels to our house knows the whole family on a first name basis she spends that much time here. :)

My main gripes are the ONLY POSTS TO THE U.S. and the worst one I think is the old NO RESERVE AUCTION than they kick it off at $100 or some other amount which effectively is their reserve. If it was no reserve it'd start at 1c.