Model Cars Magazine Forum

what is flocking? help?

I'm a big believer in embossing powder ever since I started using it for carpeting about seven years ago. While flocking is OK for certain applications, IMO in 1/24-25 scale it seems a bit out of scale to my eyes, and seems more suited to 1/16 scale or larger.

Here are a few pics of what I've done with flocking............

Pa231909-vi.jpg

In the rear cargo area of this Dodge Magnum (my first attempt), the flocking was actually silver as I didn't know (or see) any other colors. So yes, flocking can indeed be painted to whatever color you wish, as long as the flocking is a "neutral" color such as silver or gray or maybe white.

P5212982-vi.jpg

The interior floor of my '63 Cougar II when it was under construction..............

This is the brand I use...........I originally picked this up at Michael's, although most arts and crafts stores should carry some type of the powder.

P5262989-vi.jpg

P5262990-vi.jpg

Hope this helps you out!

Embossing powder is a paper product and can be painted. You can glue it down with white glue or paint.

How do you apply embossing powder? Just sprinkle it on?

I "paint" the area with white glue or paint and sprinkle it on and let it dry for a half hour or so before dumping the excess back off. I them blow off the strays and cover it with a dull coat to seal them and keep strays from coming off and sticking inside.

Edited by jrherald420

Here is the Monkiemobile i just finished. I used white glue (a lot) and some black embossing powder, the color was not what i wanted so i sprayed it Model Masters flat black, this also sealed it in place.

Not the best pictures but you get the point.

14222205562_40c3654feb_h.jpg20140516_102746 by jrherald420, on Flickr

14224321184_ffdd9c8d8c_h.jpg20140519_151310 by jrherald420, on Flickr

Top tip, dont press the powder into the glue either. When it dries you will be able to see where you did this and it looks bad. Sprinkle and let air dry. When dry blow excess off with your breath and use a clean soft brush to bush off any strays. Brush lightly because sometimes it will be wet and leave a colored streak on the interior. Happens more with black powder and a light colored interior. Happened to me on the Monkeemoile and i had to do several touch ups.

James, that looks 'really' good! Deep and plush.

Thanks, i also found on accident that if you use a semi gloss paint (or bare clean plastic) under the powder/glue, when the glue dries 100% if you dont like it or get some where you dont want it to be, cut it with a sharp blade and it will lift right off.

On the Dodge interior you can see where i tried to "push" the powder into the glue under the door panel. Looks like dookie when it dries.

Edited by jrherald420

How its meant to be used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq10MAK0JM

Hobby Lobbys embossing powder

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/scrapbooking-and-paper-crafts/stamping-accessories/embossing-powders-and-heat-guns/

Great help, thanks, that stuff looks really good. I've never done carpeting, I will try it soon.

Its so easy and really hard to mess up.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking for flocking to do my interiors and I'm coming up with (what seems to me anyway) is that it's not an everyday item at the hobby shops ( I could be wrong on this) I'm looking for a selection of the basic colors kind of like in a kit but not seeing it. Is there a basic starter kit out there?

It could be because it isn't as popular as it was any more Mike. A lot of people have switched to embossing powder. You can find it easily at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Flocking has a fuzzy, shag, out of scale look to it IMO. You probably already have the best stuff for carpet (IMO) in your fridge, baking soda. It's all I'll use. You apply it the same as flocking. Then, spray a coat of primer over it. Then, spray your color. IMO, it has the best scale appearance. I think I still have a small canister of gray flocking that I bought on the cheap. If you want it, send me a PM and you can have it if I still have it.

I've used a few different brands of flocking, some of the one's you get from Hong Kong and China seem to have larger fibres and can look out of scale, the Revell Mini Cooper I used a light blue from Detail master, and found there product to be more in scale, sadly I don't have a local model shop, and hobby craft don't stock it, so for me it's the internet ....

I've used embossing powder too. I just sprinkle it on the wet paint, then once it dries, give it a second coat over the embossing powder. It gives it a fine texture to suggest carpet and differentiate from vinyl or leather upholstery. A $3 bottle will last a long time since it only takes a pinch or two on most cars.

Edited by Aaronw

• 1 month later...

so, after trying several different methods of applying flocking, my laziness got the best of me, and I tried some 3M 77 trim adhesive [i had a can laying around after trying tin foil on a rig trailer side], I found it to work rather nice. I masked off what I didn't want 'carpeted', sprayed the 3M, then coated it with flock. it only took one application, versus the method of using 'wet' paint, or using a clear acrylic put on with a brush, which seemed to take multiple applications to get the look/coverage. this may be old news, but I thought I would share my experience.

photo_zps257d0ffe.jpg

photo_zps1e860895.jpg

Who's flocking do you use? I like Ken's or Detail Master. I've tried the Martha Stewart stuff from Hobby Lobby and the fibers are too short for my liking. My best results have come from the wet method with Testors flat of the same color as the flocking. Yours looks pretty good. I've got some 77, that is some nasty stuff though, don't breathe it.

Edited by samdiego